Skip navigation
hannahcsm
Currently Being Moderated

CS6 crashes on exporting to PDF

Sep 12, 2012 8:37 AM

When I try to export a document as a PDF, CS6 keeps crashing. I've got a few PDFs in the document and have tried deleting them completely to see if they were the reason for the crashing. However it still keeps crashing.

This is really frustrating as its such a simple job which worked perfectly when I was using CS5.5. Will there be a new update to fix this?

Please help!

Branched from an earlier discussion.

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Sep 12, 2012 8:40 AM   in reply to hannahcsm

I've moved you into a new thread all your own as many crashed look the same, but usually are not.

What is your OS and version? If you are on a Mac, please post the crash report on pastebin.com and put a link to it here. It might give us a clue.

Can you export the file if you select half ot he pages at a time?

Can you export the file if you create a new user account and use that?

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 12, 2012 11:29 AM   in reply to hannahcsm

Nobody here can tell you when there will be an update to ID, or even if there is if it will address this particular problem.

It looks to me, from what limited info I can glean from the crash report, like it is a problem with a font. Do you have Acrobat Pro? Can you look to see what fonts are used in the PDF, and if they are embedded?

It may be limited to a single PDF (clearly it is at least one). You can quickly isolate pages that have problems by exporting in halve's, then dividing any half that fails to export into halves again, and repeat until you are down to just the pages that fail.

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 13, 2012 4:15 AM   in reply to hannahcsm

Can you share the Indesign files with resources? mailid: sakhanna@adobe.com

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 13, 2012 4:17 AM   in reply to hannahcsm

Not the text itself, but the font. Not sure where it is in Acrobat X, but in Acrobat 9 and earlier go to Document Properties and check the fonts tab. You're looking for anything that DOESN'T say embedded subset, or has some stange variation on a more familiar font name. You can also check the text that drops out itself by using the Text Touch-up tool (under Tools > Advanced Editing) to highlight the text, then right click and choose properties. That should tell you the name of the font applied and whether it is embedded.

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 13, 2012 6:05 AM   in reply to hannahcsm

Do you have the fonts installed on your system?

It's very possible that the fonts are restricted against embedding. If that's the case you would need to also have them on your system. Far better to use a different font that is not restricted (whcih needs to be done at the end where the PDF was produced).

Since you seem to have found two candidates, you should check to be sure they really are the problem by removing them one at at time from a copy of the file and checking to see if the file exports. Once you've confirmed, it would be useful to know how they were produced, and you can get that information from the PDF document properties dialog by clicking the Additonal Metadata button in the Description tab, then openig the Advanced screen at the bottom of the list and expanding the PDF Properties item in the list on the right.

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 12, 2012 8:47 AM   in reply to hannahcsm

This one is different. Looks like it could have something to do with the shared content plugin.

Do install the new CS6 update and see if that helps.

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 12, 2012 9:08 AM   in reply to hannahcsm

They're Adobe plugins and part of the program (most of ID is actually just a bunch of plugins that do the various tasks). There are two of them, SharedContent and SharedContentUI. The first is required, and the second is not. You can check their status by choosing Manage Extensions from the help menu, not that I necessarily think that will tell you anything.

Perhaps sagar-khanna will pop in again.

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 12, 2012 9:48 AM   in reply to hannahcsm

The check marks next to them mean they are active, but as I said, that doesn't help much.

You said the problem is with machines running the Creative Cloud version. Does the file export from your machine?

The bad news here is this is really beyond my diagnostic ability. I think you're going to need to sunmit files and logs to Adobe to figure it out.

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 12, 2012 9:44 PM   in reply to hannahcsm

Note: This happens even without ANY pdfs in the indesign file. Every file I work on crashes eveyrtime i export as a PDF.

Have you updated the InDesign and then checked ?

What is you create a fresh new file in Indesign with just a rectangle box and then try to export it from InDesign ?

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 22, 2012 11:28 AM   in reply to Peter Spier

I am having a similar problem. I am on a macbook air running 10.7.4

http://pastebin.com/jRPzWMjb

Any thoughts?

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 22, 2012 12:59 PM   in reply to sorrycharley

Would appreciate if you could create a new discussion topic and start over by describing you issue with complete details.

Your issue may be similar but becuase of completly different reason, hence provide complete info.

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 27, 2012 11:55 PM   in reply to hannahcsm

Facing the same problem, i'm using indd cs6 on mac pro.

Absolutely don't know what is the reason, I've tried to export first into idml, then export into pdf, but crashing.

But there is one option, it should work, saving the file in idml and open it on cs5 and export, so my conclusion is to skip CS6, which is completle unusable and bad!

God, why I paid for this damn version???

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 28, 2012 7:36 AM   in reply to Emil2012

If you'd like to get some help, please post your crash report on Pastebin.com and put a link to it here.

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 10, 2012 5:53 PM   in reply to hannahcsm

I've got the same problem - I've even tried taking of all the images (with only text left on the document) and exporting again and it's still crashing. I'm trying to paste the crash report into pastebin.com, but the site is failing to open up - Is there another way to upload the crash report?

Any help would be FOREVER appreciated - I've been putting up with this ever since I've installed CS6 on my new macbook pro (3 weeks ago) and I feel like punching a wall!

Thanks,

Mary

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 11, 2012 5:59 AM   in reply to arieta_1987

You can post to any external server and put a link here. Pastebin is convenient because it is designed for this sort of post. You can use DropBox, for example, or send it to yourself using YouSendIt.com and then post the download link.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)