Skip navigation
Eric_Knopp
Currently Being Moderated

Title Editor - Logo Transparency Problem

Sep 12, 2012 2:29 PM

Tags: #transparency #pp #logo #title #psd #title_editor #title_graphic

Hi folks. Been lurking for a  while, but my first real headache has arrived. I did a search but didn't find anything helpful.

I have a project in Premiere Pro CS6 (6.0.0), and I created a title graphic (background image for the names of people being interviewed) in PS CS6 Extended (13.0 x 64). The client would like a portion of the title graphic to be more transparent.

That's easy. I went into PS, reduced the transparency of those particular layers to 76% and resaved it as a PSD file.

Here's where it gets weird: when I import the new file as a logo in the Title window (Title > Logo > Insert Logo), the layers on which I reduced the opacity refuse to display. The company logo (transparency untouched) is there, but the rest does not display.

When I import the merged PSD file/image onto the timeline in PP, though, the whole graphic shows up perfectly, with the desired areas being more transparent.

Any ideas why the transparency change is resulting in a total loss of the layers when imported into the Title editor?

I have tried everything I can think of, including exporting as PNG-24, and a crappy looking GIF to preserve the transparency, but those have the same problem. I can of course, export to JPEG, but then I lose the transparency.

Any ideas?

Many thanks.

-Eric

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Sep 12, 2012 4:40 PM   in reply to Eric_Knopp

Save a copy without layers. After you import the file into title maker, make sure that there are no shadows or strokes applied to it.

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 12, 2012 4:58 PM   in reply to Eric_Knopp

Create a new PSD matching your sequence properties.  PS now has some video presets just for the task.  Be sure to make the background transparent.  Create yourself a 'title template' right there in PS and bring that into PP.  Use it as a background under your titles.

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 16, 2012 2:55 PM   in reply to Eric_Knopp

It looks like there is something, like a Garbage Mask, that is cutting off the right-hand portion of the PSD.

Though it was done in an earlier version, here is a similar Lower-Third with a charity's logo, and a gradient, that was placed over Video with a Title (for the Text) above it. The Transparency came through, just as designed:

Gradient_Title_PrPro.png

That Lower-Third was created in PS, using the 720 x 480 Preset, on a Transparent background, then just Imported into PrPro as Footage, where it was used in conjunction with a Text Title.

Other than something, like Garbage Matte, or the Crop Effect, I cannot imagine what is killing your Gradient.

Good luck,

Hunt

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 17, 2012 10:40 PM   in reply to Bill Hunt

I can do what Bill did using a gradient. Unfortunately, I am not much of a Photoshop guy, and I can't figure out how to use a gradient on a texture - and I think that is what was done on Eric's lower third.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points