Skip navigation
harveyabc
Currently Being Moderated

how long should it take to import 300 to 500gb files into LR4?

Sep 12, 2012 5:41 PM

Tags: #files #import

just purchased my first mac, the imac.  it's been a real nightmare as far as data transfer goes.  have 550 gb photo files on my pc which apple has been transferring to the mac since last friday night.  all kinds of problems have occurred and the final outcome is that they were unable to transfer about 200gbs of files.  could be that one or more files were corrupted.

i have ordered LR4 and plan on downloading it next week. once it's been downloaded i will be paying someone (by the hour) to help me import files into LR and also to help organize my catalogs.

any idea how long it would take to import anywhere from 300 to 550gbs of files into LR?  if it's going to be a very long time then maybe i will download them myself.  would feel more secure if this person were there tho.

thanks.

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Sep 13, 2012 5:11 AM   in reply to harveyabc

Harvey, I know you have been around in these forums for a while, so I am going to assume that on your previous computer, your photos were ALREADY imported into Lightroom. In that case, you DO NOT import the photos again on the new computer.

Instead, you transfer the catalog file to the new computer, open it in Lightroom, and then reconnect all the folders (in the Folder Panel, right-click on a folder and select "Find Missing Folder"; ideally, if your transfer keeps the same folder hierarchy, you only need to do this once, on the top level folder) More details: http://members.lightroomqueen.com/index.php?/Knowledgebase/Article/Vie w/1165/187/how-do-i-move-my-catalog-photos-and-other-lightroom-files-t o-a-new-computer

So, how long does it take? If you do it the way I described, a few minutes at most.

Regarding "help organize my catalogs", the best organization that I know of is to put them all into a single catalog (and then the issue of "organizing catalogs" goes away). There are situations where you might reasonably want multiple catalogs, for example, when your subject matter is completely non-overlapping, like business and personal, but otherwise one catalog is the way to go. This should be a separate activity, begun after the transfer to the new computer has everything working properly.

|
    Mark as:
  • Victoria Bampton
    5,302 posts
    Apr 1, 2008
    Currently Being Moderated
    Sep 13, 2012 8:36 AM   in reply to harveyabc

harveyabc wrote:

have 550 gb photo files on my pc which apple has been transferring to the mac since last friday night.

How exactly has that been happening?  Are the 2 computers connected via a network?  Or did you transfer stuff onto another hard drive?

It sounds like LR isn't the issue here - just that you need a better way of moving the data from one computer to the other.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points