We are a small advertising agency with about 10 graphic artists working on a HP Server over a CAT6/1GBit Network. Network-Speed between the clients and Server is perfect. All Project Files are stored on the server, Windows/Fonts (~1200 on each machine)/Apps are installed on local SSDs. Clients have mostly about 12GB Ram and I7 CPUs (2600k or 3770k). Adobe Cloud is installed on every Client (with the latest Indesign).
When multiple Files are open (for e.g. 2 larger PhotoShop Docs and 3 Indesign Files), Indesign becomes unusable. The Problem is that TEXT-SELECTING and EDITING needs too much time. A click on textboxes with the text-tool needs several seconds (to initialize the fonts I guess) and also marking a text (with the initialized fonts of course) is very slow. The same problem occurs when the user stays in the text editing mode and moves the mouse through the top main menu – then all the submenus pop up very delayed.
I always thought that Indesign is caching the open files in RAM/HDD (what ever) to make shure that the files can be handled with no performance issues, but I guess I was wrong. It looks like the Indesign text-tool refreshs all network-connections again when it’s getting activated.
Taskmanager/rescouremonitor doesnt shows anything strange.
How can we fix this problem?
It could be several things.
Start by turning off Live Preflight. ID checks the doc each time you do anything. You can also turn off thumbnails in the Pages panel as those are constantly updated as well. Another source of slowdown is cross-references (which you can't turn off, but if they go to other files all files should be open to prevent ID from constantly opening and closing the other file in the background). Lots of GREP styles will bring ID to its knees as well.
Another thought... Where are the ID Recovery folders for these users? Are they also on the server? By default they are located in the individual user profiles but can be moved anywhere. If they are on the server, that's another source of constant network traffic.
Hi Peter, thanks for your reply. I tried this but it doens't help.
- Preflight on/off doens't make a difference
- Thumbnails in pages is the same
- Cross-References is maybe a problem - i can't prevent this all the time obviously
- No grep styles where used
Hi, sorry for the late reply and no, this problem also occurs on local files - but we have to open more files to get a comparable result/lag. The problem is still the same - the font-initialization is horrible slow and it looks like indesign doesn't cache the font-list. Everytime I'm clicking on a text-object (or selecting it), indesign seems to initialize the whole font-list again. You can imagine that this may cause troubles if you are using indesign professionally and have 2.000+ fonts installed.
Europe, Middle East and Africa