Skip navigation
lammacl
Currently Being Moderated

Acrobat X Pro won't open.  Even after a reinstall - what can I do?

Sep 16, 2012 9:17 PM

My Acrobat X Pro won't open - even after a reinstall.  What can I do?

Branched to a new discussion.

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Sep 17, 2012 2:28 AM   in reply to lammacl

Acrobat Cleaner Tool

Run the tool, reinstall again. If the issues persist, we need more info about your system and what you are exactly doing.

Mylenium

|
    Mark as:
    Calculating status...
    Sep 23, 2012 9:03 AM   in reply to Mylenium

I have the same problem. I'm on an Asus Zenbook running Windows 7 64 bit. I am a licensed user of CS6. Acrobat dies all the time. It just won't open. Click the icon, and nothing happens. Click it in the Start Menu, nothing happens. Click on a PDF, nothing happens.

My first question is: do you NEED anything to launch at startup in order for Acrobat to work and open? My theory would be no, nothing HAS to launch at startup for this to work correctly. But in case I've killed a startup task that is required, please let me know what services or apps have to run at startup.

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 27, 2012 2:51 PM   in reply to Mylenium

I want to know exactly why does this happen - I just observed Acrobat X Pro automatically close its window after loading a file from my university (b/w fax pdf) and now it won't open at all. This has first happened to me about a month ago  and it appears Acrobat X just mangles itself.

Started working again after removing Acrobat X Pro and reinstalling CS6 (legal), but I really don't want to go through that loop every month. Plain in-place reinstall doesn't help.

The Acrobat cleanup tool download page states that it shouldn't be used for CS suites that include Acrobat - are there any more options?

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 27, 2012 12:53 PM   in reply to lammacl

I have the same stated problem.  I have a CS6 student license from Berkeley.  Downloaded on a desktop and laptop - one is Win7 32bit and the other is Win7 64 bit.  Both will not open Acrobat X Pro.  I'm certain I registered prior to 30day trial termination & I've re-installed.  Same result.  Works a few times then I'm locked out.  I currently cannot access .pdf files on my computer or web sources with Acrobat.  Reader works fine.  Other CS6 Adobe programs work fine.  Need help?

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 28, 2012 8:55 AM   in reply to CigarXO wa

Same/similar problem. I'm using win7 (64bit), CS6 Design & Web Premium, we use reader/acrobat daily to review page designs. Yesterday I noticed acrobat no longer was launching when I double-click a pdf file, yet it was working on Wednesday. I changed the PDF file settings to open with Reader on default instead, and reader is opening the files without trouble.

Trying to open acrobat pro from the start menu, or trying to open the acrobat.exe from within the adobe>acrobat 10.0>acrobat folder does not launch the program. From the exe, I've also tried "running as administrator", or running it under "troubleshoot compatibility" with various options, and I can not get the program to open.

I have downloaded the updates that were available today and still cannot get the program to open. Win7 has all the latest updates installed as well. Video drivers, fonts and everything else are clean and updated and licensed.

I am very wary of downloading a tool to uninstall acrobat; this is a company workstation and getting technical support to come in and reinstall software is a pretty major hassle. It's not too often that I need to edit a PDF file directly, so I don't mind not being able to use it for now. However, considering how much money my company paid for this software, it's my opinion that Adobe should actually fix this issue, instead of tell people to uninstall and reinstall the program to "see if that fixes it".

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 28, 2012 11:38 AM   in reply to lammacl

I had the same problem, with Adobe Acrobat X Pro not starting. I found this page on Adobe, "http://helpx.adobe.com/creative-suite/kb/acrobat-failed-launch-30-days .html" and this worked for me.

The page is titled, "Acrobat Help / Doesn't launch after 30 days | Installed as part of a CS6 suite".

It did not take long to perform the steps, which simply require deactivating and then reactivating the CS6 suite. They explain the exact order in which to do the steps, so I advise reading the page before doing it.

Good luck!

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 28, 2012 12:39 PM   in reply to marilynR

As an in-house designer for a large corporation, I am not the person in charge of software purchasing, so I am not able to register the Adobe product I am using. If I understand this issue correctly, people are having issues with Acrobat when the 30-day registration period is up?

What would be very useful would be a clear-cut, corporate-purchasing information page, that clearly details all the steps (from signing up with an adobe profile, to purchase and installation, to product registration) the purchasing agent will need to follow. What happens is that someone in the corporate IT office goes online to purchase, download and install the software, and then at that point it's the user's problem. As the user, I have no way of registering this product, and have to educate the IT purchaser/installer, who (in my case) is absolutely clueless as to what that means or entails, or why it's something that needs to be done.

I've done a lot of searching around the site, followed the links when prompted to register, and have had no luck at all trying to figure out if a) the registration is absolutely necessary (apparently, it is), or b) if I should be able to register as the user of the product, or if it's the purchaser who has to register via their adobe profile. I'm assuming the latter in my case, and have submitted a ticket to our IT department to see if they can register the software, and if this resolves any potential software issues.

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 28, 2012 1:53 PM   in reply to justmonk

This thread appears to have several topics in it.  I am going to respond to JustMonk's portion in regards to registring.  For those of you who are having issues with Acrobat launching, that are not solved by MarilynR's suggestion in message #6, then I would recommend you post your exact error message you receive when you try to launch to the Acrobat Installation & Update Issues forum - http://forums.adobe.com/community/acrobat/installation_and_update_inst allation.

JustMonk if your company purchases a volume license then the software is already registered.  There also alternate activation and installation options available for volume license customers.

If your company purchased a retail copy of the software then registering to an account which includes your companies information would be sufficient.

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 2, 2012 10:34 AM   in reply to Jeff A Wright

Thanks Jeff - what's strange is that I've been prompted a few times since installation to register the software, so I don't know why it would be doing that if it's already registered.

When prompted, I would follow the links to the registration information page, and then work through the registration process, and then when prompted to enter the serial code it does not accept it. I've tried the serial code that came with the license, as well as the serial codes for the individual products (Illustrator, Photoshop, etc.), and none of those were accepted by the registration form. So "registering to an account which includes your companies information would be sufficient." does not seem to be working for me, unless there is more to "including the companies information" then I've seen in the sign up pages.

To be clear, I'm not fumbling around blindly here, I've done a lot to try and register the product myself and have yet to succeed.

My questions are these (and apologies if this is not directly related to the OT), 1) is there a way to confirm the product is registered, 2) if it is not registered, what specifically do I need to tell the purchasing people to do to make sure it is registered properly, and 3) after following the process here: http://helpx.adobe.com/creative-suite/kb/acrobat-failed-launch-30-days .html - does this fix the Acrobat issue for good, or will I have to repeat this process in another 30 days? Does lack of registration potentially affect other products in the Web and Design Creative Suite?

Thanks again for the assistance, I'm hoping to get enough information to be able to give our IT folks a clear resolution to the registration issue.

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 2, 2012 11:04 AM   in reply to justmonk

JustMonk I believe you are having problems with licensing as opposed to registering your software.  Due to the complexity of your current inquiry I would recommend you contact our support team to work with them directly.

|
    Mark as:
    Calculating status...
    May 9, 2013 6:37 AM   in reply to lammacl

The patch worked like a charm! I had an assignment to turn in to my class at Art Institute of Pittsburgh, and it had to be in PDF format. Had I NOT been able to fix this problem, I would not have been able to turn in my work! The patch fixed the problem INSTANTLY!

|
    Mark as:
    Calculating status...
    Nov 15, 2013 8:28 AM   in reply to lammacl

Easy patch from Adobe, you can save time reading this long discussion.  Open the zip file and double-click the application.  It installed effortlessly and Adobe X Pro immediately began working again.  Yay!!

http://helpx.adobe.com/creative-suite/kb/acrobat-failed-launch-30-days .html

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points