Skip navigation
petergirimalling
Currently Being Moderated

Exports only left channel

Sep 17, 2012 5:18 AM

When I replay the video within PrE 10, the sound is stereo. However, when I export it (tried several format, ie WMF HD ) it will only play sound in one of the channels.

Doees anybody know, what could be the problem here?

Best regards,

Peter

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Sep 17, 2012 5:22 AM   in reply to petergirimalling

Have you ensured that your movie has two channels of audio using the program's audio meters (not trusting your ears or your computer speakers)?

If so, what model of camcorder is your video coming from and what format and resolution is it?

When you set up your Premiere Elements project, which settings did you select?

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 17, 2012 8:21 AM   in reply to petergirimalling

Well, it could well be something wrongly configured with your audio. If, for instance, your camcorder recorded in 5.1 audio and your video project was set up for stereo -- or vice versa -- it could conceivably give you the results you're seeing. So it's a shame you don't know what kind of cam the video came from.

What information do you get when you open your video in the program Media Info or G Spot?

Does your video project have audio other than that recorded by the microphone? Music, for instance? Or narration? If so, do ALL of these audio sources give you only one channel on your output?

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 17, 2012 8:24 AM   in reply to petergirimalling

Peter,

I am, however, a little puzzled by the balance: it seems to vary constantly (by itself, without me having changed it) through the whole spectrum from almost -100 to 100, when I play the clip. It is like the balance has it's own life. This is also reflected on the "Audio mixer" where the balance knob constantly turns by itself throughout the video.

It sounds like you have Audio Track Keyframes, and what you are seeing is the automation that they provide.

In the Audio Track, display Track Keyframes>Balance, and see if there ARE Keyframes there.

Good luck,

Hunt

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 17, 2012 11:51 AM   in reply to petergirimalling

I've also tried to delete all the clips in the timeline for the problematic .prel file, imported new media and placed them in the timeline. This again gives only sound through the left channel after exporting.

If the Audio Track Keyframes have been added, they are on the Track, and not the Clips themselves. If you replace the Clips, the Keyframes will still be there, and affect the replacement Clips.

Good luck,

Hunt

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 17, 2012 12:13 PM   in reply to petergirimalling

Bill, I haven't been able to find out if it has keyframes. It sounds quite possible that this is what I've done without knowing it, but on the other hand, it's strange that it changes this many times during a couple of minutes. And after investigating I found that not all the videos have this behaviour, but all of them gives only the sound through the left channel after exporting. So probably the two problems are not interrelated.

Peter,

It could be my confusion too. I might be thinking of PrPro, where the Audio Track Keyframes can be toggled, and not PrE. Sorry.

If you were to Delete your Audio Clips, and then drag them from the Project Panel to a different, empty Audio Track, will you loose much of your editing?

Good luck,

Hunt

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 17, 2012 12:13 PM   in reply to Bill Hunt

Are you sure about that, Bill? In my experience, audio keyframes in Premiere Elements are on the audio clips themselves. Not locked to the tracks.

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 17, 2012 12:33 PM   in reply to Steve Grisetti

Steve,

I think that you are correct, and that I am wrong. I confused things between PrE and PrPro. I just went poking around, and found my error, which Peter had already pointed out.

Thank you,

Hunt

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 17, 2012 2:18 PM   in reply to petergirimalling

Peter,

Great news.

I have been pondering your problem, and the Keyframes issue. As I discovered, the Audio Track Keyframes (assigned from the Audio Mixer for automation) are not the same in PrE. However, it seems that there are some indirect similarities, where Keyframes, even if applied to Audio Clips (PrE), they behave a bit like the Track Keyframes in PrPro.

Glad that you have found a workaround. I need to do more exploration, to find out the relationship between the Clip automation Keyframes in PrE and the Track Keyframes in PrPro. You have given me some "homework" to persue. Thank you.

Good luck, and thank you for your patience,

Hunt

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 17, 2012 2:49 PM   in reply to Bill Hunt

If changing the audio to upper tracks solves your problems it's almost definitely related to a mismatch in your project settings between stereo and 5.1 audio, as I'd suspected earlier.

I'm glad you found a workaround. But matching project specs and video specs would be a simpler solution for future projects.

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 17, 2012 6:06 PM   in reply to petergirimalling

When choosing a Project Preset, at New Project, there are many choices. Some, like AVCHD, do have the option for 5.1 SS Audio. Now, this is very helpful when working with 5.1 SS material, BUT PrE cannot Export/Share TO 5.1 SS. The Audio is mixed-down to stereo.

Still, when one has 5.1 SS Source Files, working IN a Project with 5.1 SS is a benefit.

PrE must match the Audio Track Type to the channel-count of the Source Files, just as PrPro does, but if one has Clips that do not match the channel-count of any Audio Track (say mono/1-channel), PrE will create one.

Good luck,

Hunt

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 3, 2013 11:52 AM   in reply to petergirimalling

Hi Everyone,

I had exactly the same problem today in one of my PrE 10 project. I had a similar project before with exctly the same project settings - where these issues did not occur. What helped here, was to create new tracks and move my existing audio tracks from the old to the new tracks.

This seems to be a very strange bug.

Thanks to Bill Hunt and particularly to petergirimall for sharing this and providing the workaround solution!

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points