Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

PPro cs6 -> Encore cs6, chapter markers move

Sep 17, 2012 9:24 AM

About 25 minutes into a one hour video, my chapter markers have slipped. They are fine and well placed in the PPro project, but in Encore they have moved a few seconds later into the video. So when I use my chapter menu to select a given chapter, the video starts several seconds after the chapter marker placement in PPro. I've burned disks just to see if this a a problem with the Encore Preview function only, but it shows up on DVD too. Earlier chapters open at the correct place, later ones are all a little late.

I suspect that this is due to changes that have been made in the PPro timeline since the initial push to Encore using dynamic link. But IDK for sure. This is the first chance I've had to get the full menus working but the Encore project is now a couple of weeks old. So this may have been a problem from the beginning that I'm just now finding. Again, IDK.

The transcode is fresh -- Encore made the transcode yesterday using AME. It *should* have the correct information. But that's not translating into the correct behavior.

Aside from tossing this Encore project out and starting over from scratch (well, not really scratch since all the menus and stuff are done), how can I get the Encore chapters to open up at the PPro chapter markers accurately?

--

Bruce Watson

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Sep 17, 2012 9:36 AM   in reply to cfg_2451

My bet is that you deleted a bit of the PR sequence (in PR) and the chapter markers did not move. If they are still well placed in PR, it is possible that they were moved in PR, and the update in EN is NOT automatic.

No matter, the result is the same.

I think this fixes it:

Select the asset (the PR sequence in EN), "Revert to original," then select the EN timeline, and "update chapter markers." The update markers is a manual event, probably so PR wouldn't automatically mess up markers set in EN.

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 18, 2012 3:47 PM   in reply to cfg_2451

Ouch. Sorry I didn't warn you about that, but given the scenario, it did not occur to me that you had much choice.

How odd that moving a chapter marker in PPro would force a re-transcoding .... The chapter marker is just a pointer into the footage, it's not the footage itself.

It is just a pointer, but it must point to a gop boundary or the chapter won't be at the precise point you select. (Encore will move it.) Encore transcoded the footage based on the earlier marker positions. Where multiple chapters must be moved after the asset is transcoded, that generally spells re-transcode.

The warning that appears when replacing markers says it will replace all markers. It would be helpful for it to add that menu links to all chapters (except chapter 1) will be removed.

Still, what I found was that it was easier to bring up PPro and Encore side by side, and move the chapter markers in Encore to match the locations of the chapter makers in PPro. Only 18 markers, took maybe 15-20 minutes.

I have done the same thing, but only if it is not yet transcoded. Where my PR markers are correct, however, I need the EN chapter markers to be exactly where they are in PR.

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 19, 2012 3:27 PM   in reply to cfg_2451

the odd thing is that Encore insists on a chapter marker being on an I-frame (or GOP boundry) in the source.

Sorry if I confused you. Encore will put the chapter marker where you want as long as it is not transcoded. That is the issue, not source vs Encore. If it isn't transcoded, Encore makes sure an i frame is at the marker.

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 20, 2012 9:08 AM   in reply to cfg_2451

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 28, 2013 8:02 AM   in reply to Stan Jones

Is this true for an h264 blu ray as well? My chapter points are starting earlier than I set them in Ppro.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 28, 2013 9:16 AM   in reply to Joe Riggs

The "this" in this thread is that he moved the chapter markers in Premiere, and they do not automatically update. Is that your "this," or are these your original markers and they are just not accurate?

There are reports of inaccurate markers, and I don't think it has been resolved. The bottom line for some users is to manually correct them in Encore.

PR CS6? PR CC?

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 20, 2013 1:40 AM   in reply to Stan Jones

PP CS6, original markers that are not accurate. Yeah, I adjusted in Encore. 

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 20, 2013 5:14 AM   in reply to Joe Riggs

What Is your source material?

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers