Skip navigation
StokerStoker
Currently Being Moderated

Canon 5d mark iii camera raw files with CS3

Sep 18, 2012 1:48 AM

Hi, I recently bought a Canon 5d mark iii camera and am having difficulty viewing the raw files on my Mac. The Mac operating software is 10.5.8 and the mac doesnt have intel. Photoshop software is CS3. I have looked at various plug ins but am struggling to find one that will work. Is there no option to me other than buying a new laptop with the latest photoshop or is there a workaround?  Thanks in advance for your help, Mike

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Sep 18, 2012 4:04 AM   in reply to StokerStoker

What's the holdup on getting a 300 Euro PC laptop and a 30 bucks a month Creative Cloud? You were able to buy a 3000 Euro camera body, were you not? I know this sounds rude, but it really is pretty ridiculous on some level...

Mylenium

|
    Mark as:
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Sep 18, 2012 4:47 AM   in reply to StokerStoker

Here's the bottom line:

You will never be able to open the image files from your Canon 5d mark III directly in CS3, because that camera model was first supported in Camera Raw 6.7 (which only works with CS5) and 7.1 which only works with CS6.

However, you can download the free Adobe DNG Converter 7.1 and convert your Canon raw files to raw DNGs that you can open with any version of ACR starting with ACR 2.4, which takes you all the way back to CS1.  Therefore, you'll be able to open them in CS3 with no problem.

Get the latest version of the Adobe DNG Converter, it is a stand-alone application that is not tied to whatever version of Photoshop you happen to use.  The current version is 7.1 and there's also a beta version 7.2RC1.

Yes, if you can afford a Canon 5D Mark III, you can afford to upgrade from CS3 to CS6 for very little money ($199 for a perpetual license) if you act fast.  CS3 will be out of the upgrade loop in late December or so.

I'm one of the many to whom the prospect of buying into Adobe's subscription mode and end up paying the Adobe tribute every month for life seems nothing less than repulsive.

With that camera (a rich man's camera) is silly to be using a laptop (a beggar's machine).  Get a decent desktop Mac or PC already! 

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points