Skip navigation
susie margaret 8 posts
Apr 18, 2009
Currently Being Moderated

what is the difference between adobe flash player and adobe shockwave player?

Sep 18, 2012 5:27 PM

Tags: #flash_player #installation #shockwave_player

hello, all --

first, i am a newbie of long standing , and i apologize for my ignorance.  i hope the kind and gracious people here will have mercy.

second, i am cross-posting this Q in the "adobe flash player" forum.  if it is not appropriate to post in more than one forum at a time, please tell me, then put this inquiry wherever you think it most applicable.

i ask about the difference between these two applications because i have been trying to install a newer version of flash player; i have 11.4.402.265 and am aiming for 11.4.402.278.  somehow, tho, i got directed into installing shockwave player 11.5.9.620 instead.  (i've had some other problems too, but they are relatively different, so i'll address them in a separate discussion.)

right now i just need to know whether i've wrecked my computer, if i should try to undo what i've done, what have i done, should i or does if it matter if i have both of these programs on my computer at once, and any other issues that more knowledgeable people can tell i need to be asking about but am too tech-unsavvy to know to include.

thanks for whatever help anyone can provide.   i am on a dell optiplex 330, windows pro XP/SP3, IE 8.0.6001.18702.

-- susie margaret

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Sep 18, 2012 8:22 PM   in reply to susie margaret

Hi Susie,

Generally, it is best to post in one forum only. The reason is that someone may take time to respond but the answer may have already been provided elsewhere. I'll answer the question here and you can post to your thread on the Flash forum that you have received a reply.

The difference is:

Flash Player - plays content with the extension SWF, most often created with Adobe Flash Pro. There are other tools that can publish to swf. Illustrator can even export to swf.

Shockwave Player - plays content with the extension DCR - created with Adobe Director.

The term Shockwave has confused people in the past. Originally Flash was called Shockwave Flash. Now, Flash and Shockwave are separate things. It should not harm your computer to have both installed. They are both trusted web plugins. If you installed them from the Adobe website, you should be fine.

Here are some examples of different content:

Shockwave: http://www.adobe.com/products/shockwaveplayer/gokart/
    Flash: http://themirage.fr/

Hope that clears things up for you.

Dean

|
    Mark as:
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Sep 19, 2012 4:22 AM   in reply to susie margaret

Hi Susie,

Am happy to help. I understand it can be confusing. Pat's reply in the Flash forum is the more Adobe explanation with a marketing perspective. While Flash and Shockwave are distinct products, there is an overlap and people do confuse one over the other.

Enjoy the content that you can now see with the Flash and Shockwave players.

Dean

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points