Skip navigation
Harley_MS
Currently Being Moderated

Acrobat adding %20 to pdf links in iOS

Sep 18, 2012 9:53 PM

Hi

I have created a pdf with hyperlink URLs which works fine.

However when it is opened in iOS devices Acrobat adds a %20 to the end of the URL which returns a page not found error.

If I upload the source Word documents the links are fine.

iOS will open links in other pdfs ok, but Im not sure what program created them.

Has anyone else encountered this issue?

Thanks for any help,

Harley

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Sep 19, 2012 8:25 AM   in reply to Harley_MS

It sounds like the URL has put a space at the end of the URL. The %20 is added by many browsers to properly convert a space that is not a valid URL character (except in the Microsoft world where they think they can change or ignore the standards). So, I would check for a space at the end of the URL link. Maybe Acrobat should not have done this, but that is likely the cause.

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 19, 2012 8:34 AM   in reply to Harley_MS

However when it is opened in iOS devices Acrobat adds a %20 to the end of the URL which returns a page not found error.

Can you explain this? There is no Adobe Acrobat for iOS.

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 20, 2012 2:12 AM   in reply to Harley_MS

I put the PDF file in Dropbox.

On the iOS device I open the PDF file in Adobe Reader.

I can use the links in the document without any problem.

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 20, 2012 5:07 PM   in reply to Harley_MS

All of the links in the PDF document are without a space at the end. I suspect the plugin you are using with Safari (or Safari) is getting and error in the way the PDF is being read.

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 21, 2012 6:48 AM   in reply to Harley_MS

I will have to let Bernd try to help if he can. I do not have an iOS device and thus my feedback is limited. All I can suggest is that it may be related to some issue with the PDF reader plugin that you are using.

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 21, 2012 8:52 AM   in reply to Harley_MS

When I create the links with the Link Tool of Adobe Acrobat then I don't have any problems on iOS device.

Sample:

https://dl.dropbox.com/u/3974728/TheLifeWheelAppleTest.pdf

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 23, 2012 7:28 AM   in reply to Harley_MS

I used the Link Tool (Tools > Advanced Editing > Link Tool). In the properties of the link I deleted the old URL and retyped it.

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 23, 2012 8:23 AM   in reply to Bernd Alheit

Here is some technical analysis.

The links in the original PDF  http://www.life-coach-tools.com/files/TheLifeWheelAppleTest.pdf are not valid.

Each URI is followed by a "binary zero". This cannot be seen, but is not valid in a URL. Different Readers will do different things. It looks as though the Windows Reader ignores it, while the IOS Reader treats it as a space, and hence converts to %20 (it could equally have converted to %0, which wouldn't have been any better).

The PDF appears to have been made with Adobe PDFMaker 9.1 for Word.

I don't think this bad data is present in the original Word document (though I cannot prove it). I think PDFMaker is adding it. Perhaps an update is available.

If not, deleting the URL and retyping it in the link tool should fix it. Also, I'd have thought, the Create Links from URLs tool - but you would have to remove all the existing links first.

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 24, 2012 6:23 AM   in reply to Harley_MS

In the source document there are no binary zeros at the hyperlinks.

When I convert the source document in Acrobat with File > Create PDF > From File... I get correct links:

https://dl.dropbox.com/u/3974728/TheLifeWheelAppleTest.pdf

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 3, 2013 5:51 AM   in reply to Bernd Alheit

I am having a similar problem, though still based on reading this Forum am not sure what to do?  I have a client that creates proposals using the base WORD document I created for them, and then they write a PDF to forward to their potential customer. In the WORD document, I have a Hyperlink that is set as follows:  www.Website.com/sales-terms-and-conditions/ which directs fine if clicked from within WORD. 

Once I write a PDF of it (as my client will need to do), Acrobat seems to convert the link to www.Website.com/sales--terms--and--conditions/, adding an extra "-" between each word.

I cannot ask the client to reset the link in Acrobat each time before sending.

Is there a solution for my issue?  Any help greatly greatly appreciated!  Been at this most of the night!

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 3, 2013 8:41 AM   in reply to dmasonmarketing

URL's don't come over when converted from Mac Office to PDF.  They did have fixed for a little while in Acrobat X  when you you went to Print Menu > PDF > AdobeQuality PDF or Adobe PDF.  Or Better yet drop the Word File on to Acrobat X and it will convert directly.  But When XI came out they broke it again.

The fault is squarely with Adobe as the same Word File  opened on PC the links are active and the files are identical on Mac and PC. Abobe has been fostering the BS about Office Mac doesn't have the hooks for URLs. Its just another bug in Acroabt that Adobe has refused to fix in 15 years. Perhps enough of use would get on Facebook or Twitter about this Bug and the refusal to get the Acrobat PDFViewer plugin to work with Firefox maybe we could get something done.

In the mean time you will have to go into the PDF with Acroabt Pro and manually create the link.

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 8, 2013 11:52 AM   in reply to Phillip Jones

We are having a slightly different weblink issue - on a PC, FM X, Acrobat X. We use a Juniper secure access portal (we are a hospital), and Juniper needs to see a URI to correctly rewrite a URL for remote, secure access to our intranet content. PDFs created from Word and Frame did not convert the weblinks correctly to a URI code. Links created in Acrobat do create a URI code. Our solution was going to be re-entering all weblinks in Acrobat - which is not a viable solution. This thread led me to find that we can enter and verify links in Word and Frame. Open the PDF, open Tools, then Document Tools, then Document Processing. Use Create Links from URLs to generate the URIs in one step.

Sadly, the full URL address string needs to be the link (e.g. can't display CLICK HERE with the URL behind the display text), but this workaround is saving us from tons of painful rework. We will tweak the process and probably learn more, but we are relieved!!

Would rather have everything just work as expected, of course.

Thank you Forum!

mkf

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points