Skip navigation
wicked brent
Currently Being Moderated

bridge cs6 won't display .flv thumbnails??

Sep 19, 2012 10:36 AM

Tags: #thumbnails #bridge_cs6

any suggestions? It appears adobe doesn't offer any help...

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Dec 4, 2012 4:05 PM   in reply to wicked brent

Shocked this is still unanswered. Same issue here. YES the codec is installed. If the codec was installed I wouldn't be able to view the FLV, stupid!

Adobe bridge however does not seem to want to create thumbnails for ADOBE FLV files. I'd understand if this was some non-adobe file format but this should be a no-brainer. No suggestions for a solution by adobe yet? 

please, adobe - post a solution to this issue.

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 5, 2012 10:49 AM   in reply to wicked brent

How much homework have you done on this issue to narrow down the problem?  Perhaps using one of the older formats?  Perhaps the header is causing problems with generating a thumbnail?

Here are some excerpts from flv open source website  http://osflash.org/flv.   Hope they are relevant.  

It is possible to place H.264 and AAC streams into the traditional FLV file, but Adobe strongly encourages everyone to embrace the new standard file format. There are functional limits with the FLV structure when streaming H.264 which couldn't be overcome without a redesign of the file format. This is one of the reasons Adobe is moving away from the traditional FLV file structure. Specifically dealing with sequence headers and enders is tricky with FLV streams. Adobe is still working out if it's possible to place On2 VP6 streams into the new file format.

• Video needs to be in H.264 format only. MPEG-4 Part 2 (Xvid, DivX etc.) video is not supported, H.263 video is not supported, Sorenson Video is not supported. A lot of pod casts are still using MPEG-4 Part 2 so do not be surprised if you do not see any video.

Codec Introduced in Flash Player version Introduced in Flash Lite version Container Formats ISO Specification Codec Id
    Sorenson Spark 2) 6 3 FLV 2
    Macromedia Screen Video 3) 6 - FLV 3
    Macromedia ScreenVideo 2 4) 8 - FLV 6
    On2 TrueMotion VP6-E 8 3 MOV 4
    On2 TrueMotion VP6-S 9.0.115.0 - MP4V, M4V 5
    H.264 (MPEG-4 Part 10) 9.0.115.0 - MP4, F4V, 3GP, 3G2 ISO 14496-10

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 5, 2012 12:15 PM   in reply to Curt Y

Curt-

How much homework have you done to open your eyes to the issue you're pretending to understand?

I am creating the FLVs on the same machine I am trying to get thumbnails from in adobe bridge.

Using CS6 Production Premium on OSX 10.6.8, (ALL CS6 applications and components updated to latest rev):

NO perian or VLC is installed on this machine, ruling out any potential conflicts which may be caused by those applications or the components they install.

step 1 create FLV from Adobe Media Encoder CS6.

step 2 open bridge, browse to location of FLV generated from step 1

step 3 no thumbnail is generated, only orange generic "FLV" icon

step 4 open apple finder, browse to location of FLV generated from step 1

step 5 FINDER GENERATES THUMBNAIL WITHOUT ISSUE - PROBLEM LIES WITH ADOBE BRIDGE IT IS NOT A CODEC ISSUE.

If it were a codec issue I would not be able to play the file, or create the flv in the first place. seriously.

If there were an issue with the header of the FLV preventing Adobe Bridge to generate a thumbnail, then please explain to me how apple's finder is able to generate a thumbnail in a split second w/o a single issue.

Curt, I appreciate that you think you might be on to something but you've got some serious blinders on. Perhaps try the above steps for yourself,

Incidently,  I saw your reply to this same problem reported over on thread 577791 ... you said:

"Perhaps the G spot program would tell you what codec you need and if it is installed on Bridge.  Beyond that I know nothing."

Curt, Stick with your last sentence there please, you were right the first time.

I would also appreciate a reply from ADOBE, not some dude with an internet connection who thinks he's an expert, no offense.

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 5, 2012 12:35 PM   in reply to studioGwentz

studioGwentz wrote:

I would also appreciate a reply from ADOBE, not some dude with an internet connection who thinks he's an expert, no offense.

This is a user to user forum so any response from Adobe is quite unlikely.  They do visit occasionally, so anything is possible, but do not expect it.  Users like you will have to contribute suggestions to try and find a fix, for find a workaround.

If you contact Adobe directly by phone or chat, please post back here the info you learned for the benefit of others.  And heck, I might learn something also.

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 5, 2012 12:41 PM   in reply to studioGwentz

Do you have a previous version of Bridge you can try your flv on?  Does it work on CS5 or 4?

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 5, 2012 3:38 PM   in reply to Curt Y

got it, thanks Curt. I hope you understand my frustration, nothing personal. I need a solution, not theories.

I called adobe support only to get a message that the wait time is 2 hours, so i left my number for a call back when a rep was available. They called back only to get my serial number and email address (should I be worried that I had to spell out GOOGLE.COM?) and here I've been sitting, on hold, again an hour and 15 30 50 minutes later.

great use of my time.

no chat rep has been able to help with the issue yet beyond saying "Please give me a moment to check this for you.

We have CS4 and CS5. Yes, this problem has existed since then.

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 5, 2012 4:13 PM   in reply to studioGwentz

after being walked through clearing thumbnail cache and reseting preferences, all things I had already done to no avail...

me: is it possible to get verification from the development team that this is even possible, and if not why it isn't? I see nothing but questions about this on the internet with no solution provided.

me: many people therorize that it could be a codec issue but that arguement doesn't hold water if the FLV is CREATED on the same machine that is trying to create a preview of the FLV. also doesn't make any sense whatsoever that Apple finder can generate a thumb but bridge cant. I see people claiming there could be a header issue with the flv but i find it hard to believe that Adobe Media Encoder would be available to the public if it generated FLVs with bad headers... and again previews generate just fine in apple's file browser "finder"

Tanvi: Yes, let me check.

me: thanks.

Tanvi: Thank you for waiting.

me: like i said it's like itunes not being able to see artwork or play a mp3 that was created in itunes

Tanvi: Robert, I just checked that a thumbnail does not get created for the flv files. The flv files show with the flv icon.

Tanvi: Robert, there are certain file formats for which the thumbnails are not created. For example, thumbnails for Canon camera raw format too don't get created in Bridge.

Tanvi: However, you can submit a feature request form so that our engineers and check this

so... yeah. adobe bridge CS6 is INCAPABLE of creating thumbnails for FLVs, even if the FLVs are created with Adobe Media Encoder CS6.

I encourage any and all users to submit a bug report/feature request on this matter at the url given by Tanvi at Adobe Support:

https://www.adobe.com/cfusion/mmform/index.cfm?name=wishform

It will take you to a photoshop support site, click "Report a problem".

IMO This is not a feature request. This is a bug report.

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 5, 2012 5:21 PM   in reply to studioGwentz

studioGwentz,

You state:  I hope you understand my frustration, nothing personal. I need a solution, not theories.   I understand your frustration, which is why I did not blow up in returns I posted.  But you have to realize those that respond to questions, can not see what you are seeing or know what you have done.  We try and offer a theory of what the problem might be.  In many cases this causes the user to rethink the problem and try a different approach. 

Thanks for reporting back.  Not the answer that was wanted, but now we know.  Perhaps.

Adobe Help does not have a good track record for answering questions that are not on their playlist.  The frequently refer uses to the User to User Forums for answers.  I have some reservations about this answer as I have a hard time believing that there are no thumbnails for Canon raw format.  If that was the case there would be thousands of angry users posting about this.  Cannon and Nikon are the two most prevalent formats.

I don't find it unusal that Finder will create thumbnails and Bridge will not (well find it most unusual that Bridge does not create thumbnails for an Adobe program).  In the Windows OS to view a PSD you have to open Bridge, as Windows OS will not show it.  Users that use Windows Exporer rather that Bridge use a 3rd party plug in that will show them.  Here is a link for a Windows program (yes you are Mac) to display thumbnails of .swf files.  http://www.eltima.com/products/swf-live-preview/   Perhaps something out there fore Mac and .flv.  Don't know if Windows displays them as don't have a flv file to try.

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 5, 2012 6:33 PM   in reply to studioGwentz

studioGwentz wrote:

I encourage any and all users to submit a bug report/feature request on this matter at the url given by Tanvi at Adobe Support:

https://www.adobe.com/cfusion/mmform/index.cfm?name=wishform

From my understanding that is a less popular site than it once was.   If you want to pursue this issue, and I believe you do, be the thorn in their side.  Post at http://www.adobe.com/aboutadobe/contact.html.  Click on the Feedback site and bug report.   Believe they read this site.  Also state that you have posted in the Bridge Forum and discussed issue in online chat.  No solutions were available at either site.

|
    Mark as:
  • Omke Oudeman
    4,001 posts
    Nov 27, 2004
    Currently Being Moderated
    Dec 6, 2012 1:21 PM   in reply to studioGwentz

While I have no use nor need and especially no knowledge for using Flash Video and therefor stayed out in this thread I really find the transcript of your help chat unbelievable.

I did know from other reports that Adobe support is not known for its quality and service this seems to beat everything. You are very right to treat the missing .flv as a bug but having read Tanvi saying that also Canon Raw format thumbs are not created in Bridge (and I happen to know something of those file because I use them for almost 10 years and also as long as Bridge is part of CS) shows that Adobe should be deeply ashamed they outsourced their support to a company that has no knowledge at all of the subjects and also seems not capable of handling cases in an expected timeline.

Really very bad for Adobe as a world company!

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 7, 2012 12:06 AM   in reply to Omke Oudeman

The answer from the Adobe support is just rubbish: to display Canon raw files in Bridge (thumbnails and preview) you just need the right version of Camera Raw. That's it. I have tons of Canon raw files and it works.

And for the flv files it's possible too. I know it because it was working on my computer up to 3 weeks ago. It's just a matter of finding why and how it was working. Not straight out of the box in any case...

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 26, 2013 6:41 AM   in reply to wicked brent

I'd just like to add my name to the list of people frustrated that Bridge does not support creating thumbnail images for .flv files. I've been using it since it came out and it never has.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points