Skip navigation
hanbrac
Currently Being Moderated

Is it possible to resave a pdf file and convert the text, in it to curves?

Sep 20, 2012 5:36 AM

Is it possible to resave a pdf file and convert the text, in it to curves?

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Sep 20, 2012 7:10 AM   in reply to hanbrac

Hi hanbrac

I'm not quite sure I know what your asking, but I'm guessing that you want to re-open a PDF file and change the text to outlines. If that's the case, you can try to open the PDF in Adobe Illustrator, select the text, convert to outlines and resave as PDF. Be careful in this though and make sure text and images have not changed appearance or position when opened in Illustrator. This also won't work if security has been applied to the PDF.

[ signature removed by forum host ]

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 20, 2012 7:53 AM   in reply to hanbrac

Illustrator won't let you do this unless you own the font. Adobe in general insist you own fonts before doing much with them.

Acrobat won't do it at all.

Acrobat can optimize files back to older versions, perhaps your old workflow would work.

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 20, 2012 2:57 PM   in reply to hanbrac

I am assuming you can see the text, but it is being replaced with another font. You might try printing it to a new PDF with the replacement fonts or select the text and see if you can replace it with a font that you have (like the substitute font).

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 31, 2012 8:31 AM   in reply to hanbrac

The solution might be in the transparency flattener. If your pdf has transparent objects on it, you might use the transparency flattener to convert transparency to regular objects. While flattening Acrobat offers you a choice to convert fonts to outlines.

The downside of this is that flattening breaks your design into smaller pieces overlapping each other. And when your PDF doesn't have any transparency yet, you would have to add a small transparent object (hardly or not visible because it contains 1%yellow) on each page.

The other solution would be to make use of Enfocus Pitstop Professional. This plugin for acrobat had capabilities to do what you are asking for (provided that you have the actual fonts installed on your computer).

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 31, 2012 9:03 AM   in reply to peter_maas

peter_maas wrote:

The other solution would be to make use of Enfocus Pitstop Professional. This plugin for acrobat had capabilities to do what you are asking for (provided that you have the actual fonts installed on your computer).

You would also need the funds to Purchase enfocus.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points