Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

arcGIS to Illustrator issue? weird bars

Sep 20, 2012 6:50 AM

I'm getting a mysterious problem when trying to work with Illustrator files that, I think, were exported from arcGIS. The problem is that when I open the exported file in Illustrator, I get "horizontal transparent bars" that don't let me edit the layers. Perhaps the file is being exported from arcGIS as RGB?

Any clue? Thanks!

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Sep 20, 2012 6:55 AM   in reply to doss79

Provide screenshots including the layer palette or a sample file. It's unlikely that this has anything to do with color modes at all 'cos CAD and GIS programs usualyl don't care for that sort of thing and will export RGB coded colors in most cases. Therefore blaming them for something that they do anyway seem a bit far flung...

Mylenium

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 20, 2012 7:39 AM   in reply to doss79

It is the use of transparency which causes all the layers below the on that is transparent to be rendered as an image. You will have to have the files re-exported from ARC with all transparency turned off.

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 2, 2013 10:20 AM   in reply to Larry G. Schneider

I also use ArcMap to export layers out to Illustrator. The big problem I am finding is with fills in general. Some fills work, and some just confuse ArcMap into thinking it is an image (hence the bars of images, rather than vector lines)

If it is possible, have the person export the layers as "simple" objects (not cartographic, just lines with no fills) and that works like a charm for me. I do all of the styling in Illustrator anyway, so it doesn't matter what it looks like coming out of Arc. Good luck!

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points