Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Output Preview dialog box overview

Sep 20, 2012 8:04 AM

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Sep 20, 2012 8:04 AM   in reply to Community Help

I need to use the Output Preview dialog but do not have Print Production option to choose from? My Acrobat X Pro does not have Tools > Print Production > Output Preview.

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 20, 2012 11:35 AM   in reply to Wiseman3

Go to the menu at the upper right of the Tools pane (if you pause over it, it says "Show or Hide panels". From the menu, check Print Production. That panel is not opened by default.

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 20, 2012 11:43 AM   in reply to Steve Werner

Really! Too easy. I've been in an older version for a while & using Pitstop, so didn't know the options were that available but just not visible by default.

Thanks!

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 12, 2012 4:05 PM   in reply to Community Help

We had a client provide files that have "Unknown Output Condition" in the simulation Profile window. The images looks TOTALLY different when toggling between the Separations mode and the Color Warnings/Object Inspector modes.

What is the benefit to creating files without profiles? Basically device dependent files when the final device is unknown (as this client send these PDFs to different vendors).

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 12, 2012 4:32 PM   in reply to Agustin Moran

One reason for not including profiles is that you don't want the profile-to-profile conversion that takes place, which will typically change black to rich black and other things. For some applications colour fidelity is less important than colorant fidelity. But of course, mostly its people who don't have a clue about colour.

Or, just an incompatible view of the workflow. Some people are using rather old fashioned colour workflows where output intents are ignored. If you have one of these workflows, then a good colour managed file following best practice appears to have only device dependent colours.

HOWEVER, I've never seen "Unknown output condition" in the Simulation profile selection. This is supposed to be a profile of your choice - but perhaps this file is a PDF/X file with an unrecognised output condition. Anyway, I certainly don't see it as a suggestion that the file doesn't have profiles. Well worth looking further into these files. Have you preflighted them? Are they PDF/X and if so what sort of PDF/X?

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 13, 2012 9:32 AM   in reply to Test Screen Name

"HOWEVER, I've never seen "Unknown output condition" in the Simulation profile selection. This is supposed to be a profile of your choice - but perhaps this file is a PDF/X file with an unrecognised output condition. Anyway, I certainly don't see it as a suggestion that the file doesn't have profiles. Well worth looking further into these files. Have you preflighted them? Are they PDF/X and if so what sort of PDF/X?"

I have preflighted the file and it does not look to be PDF/X compliant.

The client could possibly want (expect?) us to attach a profile of our choice, but the workflow is to import the file directly into the RIP, which does not have the ability to attach a profile.

IF the 'Separations' preview is what this file is supposed to look like, it does not look good.

Then the conversion from a non-profiled color (device dependent) to BW is not a good one.

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 13, 2012 9:36 AM   in reply to Agustin Moran

If client confidentiality doesn't prevent it, are you able to share any file that presents ""Unknown output condition" via a web site?

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points