Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Bravo Adobe! No CUDA playback on MBP Retina

Sep 21, 2012 10:39 AM

Tags: #cuda

Thank you for this kind of help Adobe!

Now everything is worse than ever!

After applying 6.0.2 no more jittering because no playback anymore having CUDA enabled! Fantastical Adobe! Black screen is a must while editing a video)))

So I keep smiling and for now moving to Apple Final Cut ProX.

Hope you can read and answer here Adobe guys!

Just FYI:

MBP Retina, os x 10.8.2, cuda 5.0.24, premiere pro 6.0.2

EOS 5DMKII and EOS 1DX footages 1080p.

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Sep 21, 2012 10:56 AM   in reply to avrbox

You may want to do some more troubleshooting.

I am writing this on a MBP Retina with the same stats as your rig.  Works beautifully for me.  Check to make sure you don't have any conflicting software installed.

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 23, 2012 5:59 AM   in reply to avrbox

Check the file on the (I guess, I am a PC guy) "cuda_supported_cards.txt" file to make sure your graphics card is listed.  Also since the MBP Retina has two graphics cards/chips you probably have set some preferences someplace.

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 23, 2012 9:09 AM   in reply to avrbox

features added or changed in this update

• Windows 8 certification
    • updates for HiDPI display, which improves appearance on computers that use Retina Display, such as MacBook Pro computers
    • added GPUs to the list of those that Premiere Pro CS6 will use for GPU processing: GT 650M (which is in the newer MacBook Pro computers) and GTX 680Note: Premiere Pro can use either OpenCL or CUDA for GPU processing on the GT 650M. The default is to use OpenCL. You can change this in the General project settings.For details of GPU acceleration in Premiere Pro, see this page. For details of OpenCL features in Premiere Pro CS6, see this page.

http://blogs.adobe.com/premiereprotraining/category/adobe-premiere-pro -web-resources

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 23, 2012 12:45 PM   in reply to Greg Baber

I double checked everything - I have OSX 10.8.2, CUDA 5.0.24 and PrPro 6.0.2 - my system matches yours.

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 26, 2012 12:21 PM   in reply to Greg Baber

Hey Greg

I'm running those same specs on my MBP Retina, and I'm having alot of issues.    

I have an external samsumg monitor hooked up through TB/MiniDisplay to HDMI.
    All my drives are hooked up to a Lacie Thunderbolt to E-Sata Hub.

With OpenCL selected I get flickering monitors with weird color patterns and random crashes, slow rendering that usually don't finish before exporting.
    With CUDA, automatic crashes.
    Software only seems to be running decently, working with most Red footage, looking for any boost in performance I can get.

MBPR / OSX10.8.2 / PR6.0.2 / CUDA 5.0.24 /

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 26, 2012 12:28 PM   in reply to aleyland

Do you have the same issue without the external monitor?  I do not know if nVidia is going to provide full CUDA support through a Thunderbolt connection. 

If the laptop's monitor is also having trouble, then try moving your footage to the internal drive.  Just remove any extrernal hardware that might interfere.

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 26, 2012 12:44 PM   in reply to Greg Baber

After some googling, I found this.

http://blogs.adobe.com/premiereprotraining/2012/08/known-issues-with-c uda-5-0-17-driver-including-crashes-and-kernel-panics.html

I changed my Energy Saver Preferences (turned off "Auto Graphics Switching" and set computer sleep to "Never") and it didn't auto crashed when switched to CUDA but my external monitor was black in source and program monitors, unplugged that.

The render bar in my timeline when from mostly Red to all Yellow, I rendered a couple clips super fast with the CUDA, playback 1080p Red Timeline was smooth in 1/4 and 1/2 res until it hit a non-rendered clip.

Plugged external monitor back in, switched workspace to my dual screen editing workspace, boom. Crashed.
    Seems like it doesn't like another monitor to be hooked up.

Gonna reboot and try again.

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 26, 2012 12:57 PM   in reply to avrbox

Make sure you have the current NVIDIA drivers installed for that card.

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 26, 2012 1:16 PM   in reply to avrbox

I'm on CUDA Driver Version: 5.0.24

I get really good performance and then it'll hiccup on a clip on a then "Black Window" on me... or go all glitchy looking.

Screen Shot 2012-09-26 at 1.06.11 PM.png

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 26, 2012 1:25 PM   in reply to avrbox

That happened with my Samsung monitor hooked up with MiniDisplay to HDMI, then I unplugged it. Switched workspace to the retina screen and everything worked fine again... even fullscreen video at 1/4 res (1/2 was a bit laggy).

Seems to not like having an external monitor hooked up. Hmmmm

I see the potential in this CUDA stuff for sure, maybe not quite stable yet... atleast on my system.

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 26, 2012 1:39 PM   in reply to avrbox

Guess we need to wait for another CUDA update.

I'm going to switch back to software only.

I went to do a test render with CUDA on, (no external monitor) and it gave me an a "Error compiling movie - Unknown error."

Greg, are you running an external monitor with your MBPR?

Exciting to get this CUDA going though, I like the idea of realtime red editing in 1080 with no lag, it worked for me for a bit here... just not stable enough right now.

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 26, 2012 1:57 PM   in reply to aleyland

I do not run an external monitor.  That's why I thought this might have been the issue.

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 26, 2012 4:45 PM   in reply to aleyland

Regardless of how/what Apple markets for TB it only has the Bandwidth of a PCI-e Gen1 4x slot or PCIe Gen 2 2X bandwidth equivalent. That overall bandwidth is shared between all the devices you daisy chain on that bus. Your video card ideally uses PCI-E Gen 2 8x or 16X for ideal performance. The TB controller has to moderate the device interrupts that are communicating at the same time when you chain them. That add's latency to the communication. When you are attaching a monitor to TB on the MBP then the screen drawing synchronization between the 2 displays will require the latency and bus time to be low and constant. When that doesnt happen the Hardware MPE engine is going to error and your going to have issues like you are seeing when you connect the external display via the TB. Get that display off the TB and try the HDMI out directly on the MBP and see if the secondary display still causes issues.

Eric

ADK

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 27, 2012 7:11 AM   in reply to avrbox

The post reply was to Aleyland and not you. There is something different to your configuration that is not allowing the Hardware MPE engine since others using the new MBP's are not having the same issue.

Eric

ADK

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 27, 2012 8:46 AM   in reply to avrbox

A reminder to all participants in this topic:

Adobe Community: ANNOUNCEMENT: Notice to All Forum Members

I'll also refer to the "Forum Etiquette" notice located on the main Premiere Forums page:

http://forums.adobe.com/community/premiere

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 27, 2012 12:26 PM   in reply to Jeff Bellune

Thank you Jeff!

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 26, 2013 11:33 AM   in reply to avrbox

Greg or Anyone Else on here with relevant info...

Have any fixes for the issues presented here been discovered in the last several months that I should be aware of?  Just purchased a new rMBP and am running Premiere 6.0.2 and with CUDA 5.0.45 installed.  Here are the system specs:

- 756gb SSD

- 2.7 GHz Intel Core i7

- 16 GB Ram

- NVIDIA GeForce GT 650M 1024 MB

- OS X 10.8.3

I'm experiencing serious playback issues and crashes in premiere on both internal and exteranal display with both CUDA or OpenCL enabled.  With CUDA playback the monitor window turns black, freezes white, or gets replaced with content from other windows that are open.  It generally works great for a few minutes when I first open premiere, but then everything wigs out.  The timeline and audio will play, but no video shows up.  This generally causes the source window to freeze up as well.  In OpenCL, both the windows turn into digital glitching as soon as I open up premeire.  This has happened while testing RED 4k as well as Canon 5D MKiii 1080 footage.  The only way premiere is running smoothly is through the software only mercury playback.  I've disabled graphics switching, etc. and tried any fixes I've found so far, but no luck. 

Here's another link to a similar forumn on Creative Cow that is discussing the same issue I'm having. 

http://forums.creativecow.net/thread/3/930479

Any info would be awesome.  I have another few days to decided if I want to keep the computer or not with a full refund from Apple, so I'm trying to resolve any issues. 

- Eli

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 26, 2013 1:42 PM   in reply to Eli Odegaard

I am running a rMBP, 500 GB SSD, 2.6 GHz, 16 GB RAM, GT 650 1024 MB, OS X 10.8.3

I also am running 6.0.2 and CUDA 5.0.45

I say that to point out that I am running an almost identical system.

I do not have a secondary monitor to test with right now but let me know how you are connecting your secondary monitor.  Does this only occur when using your secondary monitor?

One thing that I had to do recently was to reinstall Premiere Pro CS6.0.2 after I've already installed the CUDA driver.  You could try uninstalling and reinstalling if it happens with just the laptop's monitor.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 26, 2013 2:02 PM   in reply to Eli Odegaard

That is Frame Buffer corruption and Premiere is losing sync on what to draw out. I wouldnt mind remoting in to check this out if you want to contact me directly.

Eric

ADK

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 26, 2013 2:17 PM   in reply to Greg Baber

Hey Greg,

The problem seems to be the same if not worse in the internal monitor.  The external monitor I've been using is the standard 27" thunderbolt monitor from Apple.   

Trying the reinstall of 6.0.0 and and update to 6.0.2 right now.  I'll let you guys know if this works out.  If not I'll keep digging. 

Thanks! 

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 26, 2013 2:36 PM   in reply to Eli Odegaard

Hi Eli,

My main concern is if the corruption happens if the secondary monitor is removed from the system. 

Greg

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 26, 2013 3:00 PM   in reply to Greg Baber

Screen Shot 2013-03-26 at 2.47.59 PM.jpgScreen Shot 2013-03-26 at 2.48.15 PM.jpg

So, tried the reinstall, and to no avail.  Here are a couple screenshots of what's happening.  This is a 4k sequence with a basic track of 3k/4k RED test footage playback at 1/4 res using CUDA.  There are a couple clips with a basic film stock color effect on them (the red render bar).  The top image shows the black frozen screen that appears while the timeline is playing.  The source window with the trees won't playback either.  Then if I try to render the timeline, I get the error message in the bottom screen. 

This time, premiere froze completely.  After a force quit Chrome and the entire computer also froze up.  Not sure what the deal is, or if this might be caused by a more extensive hardware issue. 

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 26, 2013 3:10 PM   in reply to Greg Baber

And this is all on the internal 15" display fyi.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 22, 2013 10:52 PM   in reply to Eli Odegaard

Any luck Eli?

I've been having very similar issues to you and Greg. Again, can't find any real answers or solutions. Running the latest OSX 10.8.3, have the latest Premiere 6.0.2, the latest CUDA update 5.0.45, all on a Macbook Pro Retina... same specs though only a 250GB HD.

I keep running into the same issues both with and without an external monitor. Very consisent crashing on the CUDA setting, slightly better on the OpenCL, and sometimes great on the Software only... However this evening it didn't matter what I did, everything was constantly crashing. Just open and scrub the timeline and it was immediatly down. Didn't matter which GPU acceleration setting I had.

I've troubleshooted all the ways I know how, but still no luck... so I'm wondering how many Retina users are actually having a stable Premiere experience and if anybody has been able to overcome the errors, what have they done?

Thanks!

Also wanted to add a few more details -- DSLR footage workflows.

And the software has worked before, but I've always found that sometimes its crashing and sometimes its peforming... also I'm working on 3-5 minute videos.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 23, 2013 6:04 PM   in reply to bkgarceau

Hey bk,

No, I didn't ever come up with any good solutions.  However, when I was working with RED footage, I just set it to software playback and it was working pretty good, so I just left it like that.  CUDA crashed everytime with RED footage. 

Working with DSLR footage I haven't had any problems with CUDA or software playback.  From my understanding the Nvidia card in the rMBP's isn't engineered to use OpenCL playback anyways, so I haven't really tried that. 

So really the only solution I've come up with is to use software playback when working with RED footage until an update comes around and then try that out.  Wish I had discovered more.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 24, 2013 12:16 AM   in reply to Eli Odegaard

Thanks Eli,

Oddly enough I tried rendering the sequence and found that one tiny section seemed to be giving me trouble. It was either a Text Layer or an Adjustment layer, which happened to be on top of each other... it seemed that was the sensitive/ultra crash area. So I was able to trick it into exporting... just dumb luck and like 10 tries. Eventually I had the video to lay back into my timeline of that trouble part... since then its been running smooth, too smooth. And on CUDA of all things... Not sure what is the exact cause and I haven't had time to reproduce, but at least it seems on this particular project to be an issue with Text or Adjustment layers... and or Effects used with either of those.

Been going and hour strong and haven't come close to a crash. At the very least I'm back editing... bizarre!

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points