Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Completely uninstall Adobe Application Manager

Sep 22, 2012 8:22 AM

I mistakenly installed Adobe Application Manager last night because I thought it was needed to make it easier to update my existing Adobe Reader v10 and my other Adobe products (AIR, Flash, Photoshop Elements, and Premier Elements). How stupid of me to not do my research FIRST!!! Now I can not get rid of the damned thing. It will not show up in the Windows Programs and Features program listing in the Control Panel so I can remove it that way and the instructions to completely remove AAM that are given on the web site simply do not work as I have NONE of the applications listed in AAM that purportedly will remove AAM if they are uninstalled.

Branched to a new discussion.

Replies 1 2 3 4 Previous Next
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Sep 22, 2012 9:43 AM   in reply to stjunkie

I also was tricked into thinking that Adobe Application Manager would update the Adobe programs I have installed on my machine (Adobe Acrobat X Standard & Adobe Photoshop Elements 10).

I think this was a sneaky and underhanded way to get us to download this crap. I also do not want this Adobe Application Manager crap on my machine.

How can we remove/uninstall (Complete Uninstall) the Adobe Application Manager and remove any keys in our registry that were installed with this program?

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 22, 2012 11:41 AM   in reply to Wet~Look

Adobe application manager  is core application for all Adobe Creative Suite Products and is required for download, deployment, provisioning and updater functionality. Removing Adobe Application Manager from your machine may result in incorrect functioning of your product like Photoshop elements and Premier Elements in your case.  So my recommendation would be not to remove Adobe Application Manager from your machine.   

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 22, 2012 12:33 PM   in reply to Vikas Talwar

There are 16 programs listed in Adobe Application Manager:

Phoyoshop CS6

After Effects CS6

Adobe Premier Pro CS6 Family

InDesign CS6

Flash Professional CS6

Illustrator CS6

Fireworks CS6

Muse

Dreamweaver CS6

Audition CS6

SpeedGrade CS6

Prelude CS6

Flash Builder

Edge Animate preview

Abode X Pro

Touch App Plugins

These are all “Trial Products” that are either limited in features or limited by time, which will then need to be purchased or uninstalled. To me it looks like the “Adobe Application Manager” is a marketing tool used by Adobe to sell programs. Not one program listed is one I have installed. This manager is not needed as all the Adobe programs can be updated from the program.

That being said; How can we remove/uninstall (Complete Uninstall) the Adobe Application Manager and remove any keys in our registry that were installed with this program?

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 22, 2012 6:49 PM   in reply to Wet~Look

The Adobe Application Manager is not a marketing tool, and you can remove it from your system.

You will need to get the Adobe Cleaner Tool from here http://www.adobe.com/support/contact/cscleanertool.html. Launch the Adobe Cleaner tool and in the top right drop-down select Creative Cloud. In the list select Creative Cloud Installer and then click the button labelled 'Cleanup selected'. The Adobe Application Manager will be removed from your computer.

cleaner_tool_creative_cloud.png

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 22, 2012 8:51 PM   in reply to Ken G. Rice

Ken G. Rice,

Thank you for taking the time to help us, it is greatly appreciated!

I tried searching for information on removing the Adobe Application Manager and found nothing about removing it.

Again thanks, I am sure there are others that will also find this information helpful.

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 22, 2012 9:15 PM   in reply to Wet~Look

There was another similar post today regarding the Adobe Application Manager http://forums.adobe.com/message/4719813#4719813. I am going to get a clear explanation on Monday and will share it in the forums.

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 22, 2012 9:47 PM   in reply to Ken G. Rice

I think the Adobe Application Manager download needs to have a better description as to what programs it supports.

I was under the impression it was also for updating Adobe Acrobat X Standard & Adobe Photoshop Elements 10.

You have been a great help and I might also mention that the Adobe Application Manager no longer resides on my machine.

Thank You!

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 23, 2012 12:06 AM   in reply to Wet~Look

I have also downloaded Adobe Application Manager as an update. I am running Elements 10, Flash 11, and Reader 8.1. I am wondering if AAM is needed to continue to recieve updates and maintain proper functionality for Elements?

I have read this post and the one listed above. After updating, I also realized that none of the programs listed in AAM are ones that I possess or want. When I go to my start menu and click on "Adobe Application Manager" (WIndows 7), it makes me enter my Adobe ID and password, then basically displays a list of programs that I can "install". I have also noticed that when I click on Help > Update in Photoshop Elements or Organizer, AAM comes up instead of my normal "checking for updates" window. This all seems pointless.

I do not wish to simply uninstall AAM if doing so inhibits "updater functionality" or causes "incorrect functioning" of Elements as described in the first response. I use my photoshop.com site frequently. However, it seems like this program is unnecessary for those of us running applications not listed in the app manager itself. Do I need it when I'm just running Elements 10? Also, as mentioned in the other post, will it be taken off my update list if I uninstall?

Thanks

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 23, 2012 9:59 AM   in reply to fixedHeartsDesign

I do not understand what this update is all about. I have CS6 Master Collection installed & registered, all previous updates applied, yet this new application manager indicates that about half my CS6 applications aren't installed. I'm confused. Can someone exlain what's going on here?

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 23, 2012 2:15 PM   in reply to HollicoGroup

HollicoGroup Look at Post #3.

Look at the programs that you think are not installed. Click on install and see what is offered, the program will not installed until you accept the installation.

When I looked at the programs that were offered for install they were all “Trial Products” that are either limited in features or limited by time, which you will then need to be purchased or uninstalled after the "Trial Period".

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 23, 2012 2:30 PM   in reply to fixedHeartsDesign

fixedHeartsDesign.

Follow Post #4.

I am running Adobe Acrobat X Standard, Adobe Photoshop Elements 10 & Adobe Flash Player Ver. 11,4,402,278. I unstalled the Adobe Application Manager

and all these programs are functioning as designed, including updating.

Remember all these programs can be updated from inside the program. Open the program, click on "Help" then click on "Update" or "Check for Updates"

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 23, 2012 3:23 PM   in reply to Wet~Look

Wet~Look

Thanks for answering my question about updater functionality and overall successful operation of Elements 10 after uninstall. I am still very confused by Vikas_CSI's post about App Manager being a core application that is:

"required for download, deployment, provisioning and updater functionality. Removing AAM from your machine may result in incorrect functioning of products like Photoshop Elements..."

Seems pretty direct, should I be concerned about future issues if I want to upgrade or download more software? It would make sense if he was talking about applications that were actually listed in the App Manager. Also, once you uninstalled, did AAM reappear in your update list when you went to Help > Update > Check for Updates? If so, can you simply uncheck the box?

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 23, 2012 3:32 PM   in reply to Vikas Talwar

Vikas_CSI

Where did you get your information about "Adobe Application Manager" being the core application for all Adobe Creative Suite Products

and is required for download, deployment, provisioning and updater functionality.

Would you please provide the link for this information so the people with questions about this manager can read it for themselves?

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 23, 2012 3:46 PM   in reply to Wet~Look

Wet~Look

By the way, I checked and it is a core app, on my Windows 7 system it is found in:

C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\Adobe\OOBE\PDApp\core\PDapp.exe

Still wondering if AAM reappears in your update list after the uninstall?

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 23, 2012 4:17 PM   in reply to fixedHeartsDesign

fixedHeartsDesign,

If you go to Help > Update > Check for Updates the PDapp.exe file is what opens to check for updates.

You can also go to C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\Adobe\OOBE\PDApp\core\PDapp.exe click on the PDapp.exe and the same updater will open.

When you uninstall the "Adobe Application Manager" (Post 4) these files are not disturded.

Your updater will work just fine.

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 24, 2012 6:51 AM   in reply to Wet~Look

Like some many before me, installing this pisses me off.  Make me want to stop using ANY Adobe producs.  This make is LESS likely to every buy another one, although I have used them fopr years.

Stupid business practices, which may be designed to sell more, but it effects, if others are like me, is to help them sell less.

I DESPISE this kind of software crap!!!!!

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 24, 2012 6:53 AM   in reply to HughLaFollette

BTW, the recommended tool above does NOT let me unless this piece of crap.

Trying to sell their products.  I am about scap ALL my adobe products.

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 24, 2012 8:40 AM   in reply to stjunkie

Bizarre response.  The cleaner didn’t work at all.  The option isn’t there.

I think this decides it.

Hugh

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 24, 2012 8:41 AM   in reply to HughLaFollette

The cleaner didn't do squat for me!!!!

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 24, 2012 10:46 AM   in reply to HughLaFollette

HughLaFollette

Did you use the correct remover tool? There are two listed, one for Macintosh & one for Windows.

I used the windows tool which opens the dos prompt window and followed the directions. If you used the removal tool for windows, did you extracted the zip win folder to your desk top, then click on “AdobeCreativeSuiteCleanerTool” and the dos window opens, type e (for English) tap Enter on your keyboard, the agreement opens in the dos window, accept it type y (for yes) tap enter on your keyboard, chose Creative Cloud by typing 3 and tap enter, the next dos window you need to quit the dos window as the "Adobe Application Manager" is now modified, type q (for Quit) then tap enter.

It doesn't remove the manager it removed all the trial programs “Adobe Application Manager” had listed. This manager is the new manager that Adobe Photoshop Elements 10 uses. I don’t know what other Adobe programs this manager is use for as I only have Adobe Acrobat X Standard, Adobe Photoshop Elements 10 & Adobe Flash Player Ver. 11,4,402,278 and this updater only updates Adobe Photoshop Elements 10.

If you used the one for Mac, I am not familiar with how it works as I have windows on my machine.

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 11, 2012 1:43 AM   in reply to Wet~Look

I did not get any of the options you are mentioning — and yes, I used the one for Windows.

When I ran it, it only opened a command window, and none of the options were relevant.

Hugh

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 24, 2012 11:11 AM   in reply to HughLaFollette

HughLaFollette,

When you downloaded the zip file and unzipped it, did it have a folder named "win"?
    If so in the "win" folder there should be three files:
    "A
    dobeCreativeSuiteCleanerTool"
    "Read
    MeFirst"
    "versioninfo"

What happens when you double click the "AdobeCreativeSuiteCleanerTool" file?

Also you might want to edit your post and remove you email addresses if you don't like spam.

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 11, 2012 1:44 AM   in reply to Wet~Look

It opens a command window with a series of options; none of the options are relevant — unless I wanted to delete everything from Adobe — which I may end up doing, but I was just trying to get rid of AAM — which looks to me to be just a (bad) marketing device.

Hugh

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 11, 2012 1:44 AM   in reply to stjunkie

Thanks. 

Why not just say “AAM” rather than creative cloud?

Hugh

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 24, 2012 2:47 PM   in reply to HughLaFollette

I was also fooled into believing that Adobe Application Manager was a necessary update for my creative suite. Even if AAM is necessary for core functionality (i.e., see smoke and mirrors description for AAM), I would be left with the following concerns:

1. Core functionality has nothing do to with Adobes decisions to install software on my personal computer that appears solely dedicated to pushing unsolicited trial software.
    2. Using the Adobe application update manager to install AAM/a mechanism to push trail software is deceitful.
    3. The description for AAM appears to be intentionally misleading.
    4. The interface is confusing; AAM lists installed software as not being installed, as well as software that is not part of my creative suite. Why would I possibly want to install a trail version alongside my equivalent licensed version?
    5. If Adobe wanted to push an update that truly provided core functionality, they would have done this as they have done in the past, and I would not have a confusing listing of trial software sitting of my desktop.

For lack of a better phrase, I feel like Adobe Spammed my computer with trialware in a manner that is markedly disingenuous. My take away lesson – Do not trust Adobe updater, do not trust Abode to conduct business in a forthright and principled manner, and of most importance, image/backup before running Adobe updater.

Venting aside, I inevitably gave up on trying to uninstall AAM and reverted back to a recent drive image.

Does anyone know of a way to keep AAM from popping up in the application update manager?

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 24, 2012 3:09 PM   in reply to Ken G. Rice

Vikas_CSI

Reply to your Post #2.

We are still awaiting a reply from you, see post #13,

"Adobe application manager  is core application for all Adobe Creative Suite Products and is required for download, deployment, provisioning and updater functionality."

Where did you get your information about "Adobe Application Manager" being the core application for all Adobe Creative Suite Products

and is required for download, deployment, provisioning and updater functionality.

Would you please provide the link for this information so the people with questions about this manager can read it for themselves?

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 24, 2012 6:44 PM   in reply to Vikas Talwar

Adobe Application Manager reports that many of my installed Creative Suite apps are not installed. With such faulty information how can it possibly be of any real use? Photoshop CS6 Extended, for example, is fully installed, activated and in use. Yet Application Manager shows it as "Install" and I tried clicking on that and started a very lengthly download which I canceled. What was it downloading? This tool is a disaster and Adobe would do well to retrench and produce something that is explained and which works if they feel such a tool is really necessary. To me, as to most others who have commented, it is garbage, it has hijacked my computer without any means of removal, and I'd like to be able to charge Adobe for the time it is going to take me to get it the hell out of my computer.

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 24, 2012 6:58 PM   in reply to trippap

I had the same experience. After my previous post I clicked one of the "install" links for a product that was already installed and that I use regularly, just to see what came up. Same as you, it initiated a horribly long download which I eventually cacelled.

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 25, 2012 8:30 AM   in reply to HollicoGroup

First let me say that my earlier instructions for removing AAM were only partially correct. Those instructions remove just the Creative Cloud part of AAM and should really only be used if you are having trouble running AAM with your Creative Cloud subscription.

If you are using most Adobe products then AAM is installed and is required for the product to run correctly. AAM is used for Creative Cloud, and is also used for perpetual licensing (when you enter a serial number). AAM also handles updating your installed products.

So yes AAM is installed with Photoshop Elements and PremierePro Elements.

For customers who try a mix of perpetual license (for example using a serial number with the Master Collection or just Photoshop) and then try a Creative Cloud trial or paid subscription you might see AAM telling you that a product is not installed when it is. This is a known issue.

So please do not try and remove AAM from your system if you are using Adobe products. You may cause the perpetual licensing or subscription to stop working, and you will not recieve updates.

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 25, 2012 11:21 AM   in reply to stjunkie

I thought this was one of those annoying update notifications for Flash Player, and now I have this big ugly red icon on my desktop that does nothing. 

So the question remains... How do I iuninstall Adobe Application Manager from my computer?

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 25, 2012 11:27 AM   in reply to abedefghijklm

@abedefghijklm - You can delete the Adobe Application Manager shortcut from your Desktop. The Adobe Application Manager is required if you are using Adobe products. If you uninstall all Adobe products then the Adobe Application Manager will be uninstalled.

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 25, 2012 12:35 PM   in reply to Ken G. Rice

It was not "required" before 22 September 2012.

I am uninstalling Adobe programs one at a time to see if it goes away.

So far, Adobe Photoshop Elements 10 failed to uninstall with error message 1316 because it could not find C:\Windows\Installer\Adobe Photshop Elements 10.msi

Adobe Premier Elements 10 uninstalled properly.

Adobe Reader (10.1.4) uninstalled properly.

Adobe AIR uninstalled properly.

Adobe Shockwave Player uninstalled properly.

Adobe Flash Player would not uninstall since I had Internet Explorer open.

Adobe Acrobat X Pro (10.1.4) would not uninstall unitl I shutdown Microsoft Outlook.  Uninstalled properly.

Adobe Application Manager still sitting there next to the Adobe Photoshop Elements icon that still won't  uninstall.

I will post this, then close Internet Explorer to allow uninstalling Adobe Flash Player.

Later----

Okay Adobe Flash Player uninstalled properly.

I still cannot uninstall Adobe Photoshop Elements 10 and "I guess" that is keeping Adobe Application Manager (AAM).

So my question remains... How do I completely uninstall Adobe Application Manager?

(Window 7 Ultimate (64-bit), 8GB, 750GB hard drive)

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 25, 2012 1:50 PM   in reply to Ken G. Rice

Ken, thanks for your information on this, however, I remain confused about AAM's list of applications that apparently aren't installed when in reality they are. To recap, I have a completely installed CS6 Master Collection. Every program has been activated, registered, etc. Most are, in fact, in regular use and all have been used at least once, requiring activation. All updates have been applied. Yet AAM (I just rechecked it) still lists a large number of them as "Install". Unfortunately, the one where I did click the "Install" link was excruciatiingly slow (and I have a very fast Internet connection!), so I am unwilling to devote the time to a seemingly pointless exercise.

At the very least, AAM should be providing much more information (explanation) on what it is indicating. Or it is is just plain wrong. At any rate, as a long-time Adobe customer, I would appreciate an explanation.

I do not profess to be an expert in Adobe's byzantine licensing system, but in my case this would seem to be pretty straight-forward.

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 25, 2012 2:18 PM   in reply to HollicoGroup

@HollicoGroup - I spoke with an engineer on the AAM team before writing my explanatory post above. Your issue of having AAM not recognize already installed applications is a known issue. They will address it but I do not have a date. At this point only Illustrator and Photoshop have released new "subscriber-only" features. These will not be critical for everyone to get. AAM will improve but I understand it is not improving quickly enough for you and others. The AAM team does read these forums and I will pass on your feedback.

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 25, 2012 2:28 PM   in reply to Ken G. Rice

Ken, again, thanks for the information. I will "patiently" await the changes!

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 25, 2012 2:33 PM   in reply to HollicoGroup

@ HollicoGroup,

Adding to what Ken said AAM team knows about this problem and working on this.  You would probably find this fix in the next AAM update.

Thanks, 

Vikas 

|
    Mark as:
1 2 3 4 Previous Next
Actions

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (1)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers