Skip navigation
Denyerec
Currently Being Moderated

Tools keep switching back to previously selected one - Frustrated!

Sep 24, 2012 8:47 AM

Tags: #problem #cs5 #error #bug #lag #slow #glitch #tools #laggy #sluggish

I've been suffering from this issue for some time now, but it's finally got to the point where I can no longer tolerate it, especially given the very high asking price of the Adobe suite.

I'm running an Intel i7 Win7 64, with CS5 installed. 12GB RAM, Scratch disk on a separate drive to installation. The problem is manifest in both 32 and 64 bit versions of Photoshop.

The issue is that when I select a new tool with a keyboard shortcut, there is a brief paus and the cursor changes to the new tool, then it simply switches back to the previous tool. The behaviour is not aparrent when selecting tools using the buttons in the toolbox with the mouse/pen.

Example:

- Move tool currently active

- Press B to activate brush

- 500ms elapse

- Cursor changes to brush, Toolbox "Brush" icon highlights as if selected.

- 800-1000ms later, tool resets back to "Move", "Move" icon in toolbox highlights.

The only workaround I have found is if I quickly "Double Tap" the keyboard shortcut (Or triple/quadruple sometimes), it seems to force the change. Restarting PS does not help, the problem exists in all files of all sizes. The UI is also noticably laggy.

I found a similar problem here: http://uk.answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20110217073844AAFPiG3   but none of the proposed solutions were of use.

I've put up with this issue for months, but I've finally cracked. I am incredibly frustrated. You spend £1,500 on a peice of software, you expect the UI to function.

Kindest regards,

Den

Replies
  • JJMack
    5,971 posts
    Jan 9, 2006
    Sep 24, 2012 10:28 AM   in reply to Denyerec

Den

I have CS5 installed on a Windows 7 machine only 9GB Ram and an ATI 5770 video card and do not have the problem your having.  Is there anything you have install on your windows 7 machine that you can think designed to monitor the keyboard buffer or add some hotkey support to your system. Have you set up any Photoshop script event manager events that might be bieng triggered that could change Photoshops current tool. I can not think of anything timer pop sort of thing the would change Photoshop current tool selection.

In Photoshop tools hot keys like B M V L etc all seem to change without any delay and stay active till changed by me using a hot key or mouse tool select.

The link you gave does not sound anything like the problem you having.  They seem to have to do some sequence of things to have Photoshop change to the move tool. You state your Photoshop changes the current tool after a delay when you use a hot key like B for brush the in a short time changes the active tool to the move tool.  I do not know what would cause the first delay (is the keyboard buffere being monitored by some windows add on?) and I don't know what woul set a timer pop the change perhaps senv a V hot key the the keyboard buffer to cause the move tool to be selected.

Message was edited by: JJMack

|
    Mark as:
  • JJMack
    5,971 posts
    Jan 9, 2006
    Sep 24, 2012 5:20 PM   in reply to Denyerec

Before you reinstall try resetting your Photoshop Preferences. Also try to remenber what new software you installed 6 month ago when the problem started. Clearly it was not a problem before then. What changed...

|
    Mark as:
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Oct 6, 2012 1:27 PM   in reply to Denyerec

Hi all,

I was having problems with the new blur filters not being available (all menus being greyed out) and having problems just trying to find the handles for free transform when I read this post.  I did what was suggested. I went into preferences and un-checked the allow extensions to connect to the internet and load extentions panel ...didn't see the third that you mentioned, but anyway all of a sudden (after closing photoshop and re-opening photoshop) now it all seems fixed and blur filters work!  Very strange.  Don't even know why I tried this, but I guess my frustration was just getting to where I would try anything, but wanted folks to know this fixed the (totally different problems that I was having) nonetheless.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points