Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Open/save dialog boxes not working correctly.

Sep 24, 2012 3:14 PM

Tags: #cs6_opening_problem #opening_file

Environment: CS6 (PS 13.0.1) Mac OS X 10.7.5. Plenty of hardware. (Generally starting with .CR2 RAW.)

Two open/save problems

Recently (maybe since the 13.0.1 update??), I have been having problems with the open and save as dialog boxes.

First. The open file dialog always defaults to Enable: blank (i.e. no file types enabled). Each time I have to  go to the bottom of the dropdown list and select "All readable documents" before I can open ANY type of file. I've searched in everyway I can think of looking for some method to have OPEN default to "all readable" but can't find anyway to do this. Anyone have a suggestion? I admit this is a nuisance more than anything, but when whipping around at deadline having to stop each time and make this change is irritating. No other program has this difficulty (including Illustrator and InDesign). PS5.5 did not exhibit this behavior on the same machine.

Second. When I save as and try to select any file format, say going from psd to tiff, the format dropdown list ALWAYS selects the format ABOVE the one I choose. Example: If I select JPEG, PS tries to save as .iff. If I pull the selection down to JPEG2000 it will then save as standard JPEG. Again just an irritant but, tiff (which I need for several other programs) is last on the list thus there is no way I can go one below it to get tiff format selected. It always comes out as png. Also note that the Format selection indicates the correct format - in the case of tiff the dialog box shows TIFF selected, but the program is apending .png. (Continuing the save as (without altering my selection) always results in the incorrect format no matter what the Format dialog says in the save as operation.) Again, no other program I work with (including several Adobe products) exhibits this behavior.

I seriously need to be able to save as tiff. Anyone with any thoughts on this?

Thanks much,

Robert

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Sep 24, 2012 3:31 PM   in reply to bizbeblu

Hi, Robert.

There are two things that you can try right off the bat.

First, make sure OS X and Photoshop are completely up to date. On OS X, click the Apple at the top left > Software Updates. In Photoshop, Help > Updates.

Second, it may help to reset your preferences. There's a great article on how to do that: http://forums.adobe.com/thread/375776

Give those a shot and see how it goes.

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 24, 2012 4:01 PM   in reply to bizbeblu

This can also be caused by unsupported plug-ins. Head into your plug-ins folder (Applications > Photoshop > Plug-ins), and remove any duplicated plug-ins that may be present.

If there are no duplicates, I would suggest moving all the plug-ins to another folder, launch Photoshop, and see if the issue goes away. If it does, slowly add the plug-ins back, until that issue comes back.

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 24, 2012 4:03 PM   in reply to bizbeblu

I'm going to move this thread to the Photoshop General Discussion forum, as it's gone way beyonf the Beginners forum.

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 24, 2012 5:49 PM   in reply to bizbeblu

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 26, 2012 3:36 PM   in reply to bizbeblu

Look at Help -> System Info.

If you see any Adobe plugins in the non-required list, you made a mistake.

If you set the optional plugins folder preference to point to a previous version of Photoshop: you made a mistake.

Somewhere you have duplicated file formats, most likely from a previous version of Photoshop.

You need to get rid of those duplicated file formats, and all Adobe plugins that you mistakenly copied from a previous version.

Reinstalling won't change your preferences, or plugins you copied by mistake.

It would only reinstall the bits that ship with CS6 -- which aren't a problem.

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 26, 2012 3:36 PM   in reply to Chris Cox

No, the other applications have no impact on Photoshop.

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 7, 2013 8:16 PM   in reply to Chris Cox

I'm having the same problem with the ENABLE drop-down greyed out in the 'OPEN' dialog box and having to scroll to the bottom to select All Readable Documents.

I recently added plug-ins but guess what? I don't remember which ones they were and they all have the same date. Were there plug-ins there when I installed CS6? Should I delete them all?

Would someone explain where I find  "the non-required list?"

Is there an easy way to return to the default plug-ins [if such a thing exists] to get rid of this annoying bug.

Thanks

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 7, 2013 8:29 PM   in reply to fdkjgbfskvdkvbidfbiuerhrg

The Photoshop CS6 Plug-Ins folder defaults to being empty - it is just for third party plugins.

You can remove all of them (and should never copy plugins from a previous version of Photoshop).

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 8, 2013 5:44 PM   in reply to Chris Cox

There was an empty folder named "Panels" when removed fixed the problem. No idea where this came from.

Now I just need to get Photoshop to recognize my scanner.

Thanks

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points