Skip navigation
JoKrause68
Currently Being Moderated

problem:actions play twice when started by F-key

Sep 26, 2012 7:46 AM

Tags: #illustrator #keyboard #actions #cs6

Hello,

I got the following problem in Adobe Illustrator CS6 (16.1.0 on Mac OSX Lion 10.7.4):

When starting an action by the assigned function-key the action is instantly played twice successivly. For example I made an action for fliping an object horizontaly and assigned the F-11 key. After pressing this key the object is now flipped twice, so that it looks in the former direction again. This occurs with either F-key combination and makes using actions in combination with function-keys impossible.

However when the action is started in the actions-tab (button-mode or play-button) it is correctly played only once.

Does anyone know this problem or even has a solution? Thanks for help!

Greetings

Joachim

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Sep 26, 2012 8:28 AM   in reply to JoKrause68

Try slowing down adjusting your system preference >> keyboard >> key repeat rate.

Screen Shot 2012-09-26 at 10.27.17 AM.png

If that don't work Actions flyout menu >> playback options >> pause for 1 second

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 26, 2012 9:52 AM   in reply to JoKrause68

As Mike has shown do you have the box checked to use all F-keys as standard function keys?

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 26, 2012 10:01 AM   in reply to JoKrause68

The action itself must be good since it works in button mode, if your keybaord is nto having a technical problem, must be some software conflict sending out doubel of your fkeys.

You can try reinstalling, but my guess is a third party app or plug may be conflicting.

Try assigning somehting diffeten thatn an fkey, and do you have any extra system preferences installed.

I also am 10.7.4 & CS 16.01 and my actions work fine. What else do you have installed on your system? Does an action fkey work in Photoshop fine?

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 27, 2013 1:42 AM   in reply to JoKrause68

This IS a bug in CS6 Ai as far as I can tell. JoKrause68 is having the exact same problem I'm having. If I use the buttom mode for Actions and click those it works fine. If I use the FKey I assigned it runs the action twice apparently? The exact same set up in CS5 Ai works fine. I manually programmed all the new actions in CS6 and didn't copy over anything from CS5 so the problem is with CS6 and Adobe needs to fix it.

I create my own FKey command to optimize my time while building vector art. I use this command all the time in my creative workflow so it's screwing up my whole process.

The action is a clone command:

- Command C

- Command F

- Bring to Front

I assign it to F3.

So can we get any type of confirmation that Adobe will fix this bug? Or maybe a better term is broken functionality because it was working as far as I could tell when I first installed CS6. Can we revert to an older version? Any help is appreciated.

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 27, 2013 1:43 AM   in reply to JoKrause68

BTW here is a video showing it in action:

http://www.vonstervault.com/temp/Action_Problem.mov

I recorded this for a friend. I'm sure she'll point me to this thread now that I found this.

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 27, 2013 6:49 AM   in reply to Vonster

You can «bypass» this introduced bug by adding an Insert Stop at the end of your actions.

1. Place your cursor at the end of the action steps,
    2. Start recording

3. Go to the Action Panel Option and choose Insert Stop.
    4. Stop Recording.

5. Turn off Dialog setting at left of this Insert Stop step.

This should be «fix» it and make your action behave as it should be. Until Adobe fix it on their side.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 4, 2013 3:53 AM   in reply to Jean-Claude Tremblay

Thank-you for this workaround, which worked for me (OS 10.8.2, AI 16.0.3).

I wonder what bugs/conflicts the next update will introduce!

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 4, 2013 9:17 AM   in reply to TommyTwoBrains

Bug persists in Illustrator 16.0.4.

Was introduced in an update, not sure which one.

Stop action workaround is working.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points