Skip navigation
Ham1000
Currently Being Moderated

How do I remove sound from videos in PS CS6 extended?

Sep 26, 2012 8:19 AM

Tags: #photoshop #movie #cs6 #audio_tracks

I have a series of movies which I intended to individually import into PhotoShop CS6 Extended, add end credits, and then export WITHOUT SOUND. For the life of me, I can't see any way to remove the audio from the movies! I'm sure this feature was easily available in the PS CS6 beta version. Any clues?

Replies
  • Sudarshan Thiagarajan
    4,000 posts
    Oct 15, 2010
    Sep 26, 2012 8:24 AM   in reply to Ham1000

Scrub to 2:05 on timeline of this video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uQiveXnUZlM

You can mute audio for the tracks you have and export it.

Also, I'm assuming you're aware that the video editor in PS is only for short DSLR clips, not for long video files. You may experience glitches if you try to work with a large/ long file.

|
    Mark as:
  • Sudarshan Thiagarajan
    4,000 posts
    Oct 15, 2010
    Sep 26, 2012 9:38 AM   in reply to Ham1000

In your video layer, you'll see a small 'play' icon. Click on that to bring up the controls tab. You'll see 'Audio' as a tab on top.

|
    Mark as:
  • Sudarshan Thiagarajan
    4,000 posts
    Oct 15, 2010
    Sep 27, 2012 1:45 AM   in reply to Ham1000

After you add your transition, right click on the video layer to bring up Video/ Audio Properties Panel.

|
    Mark as:
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Mar 10, 2013 4:34 AM   in reply to Ham1000

I have the same problem as Ham. I can't see the context menu for sound.

I saw that context menu in the video that Sudarshan mentioned, but it's not in my Photoshop CS6, where - like Ham experienced - i only see a context menu for Motion.

Just as Ham, i do see the sound context menu at the beginning of my work. I even got to clips in a project where one clip offers sound editing, the other doesn't.

Clips where sound can be edited appear as a blue bar. Clips where sound cannot be edit appear as a violet bar. Even if i add an MP3, it appears as a violet bar, so sound cannot be edited while motion editing is offered. I also tried to dampen the sound via the opacity control in the layer panel, but it didn't work.

I already created a complicated project out of 6 clips. I can't restart now to edit audio before anything else.

Is there any way to get audio editing (in the limited way that's part of Photoshop CS6 sometimes) in ALL clips within a project?

Thanks!

|
    Mark as:
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Mar 10, 2013 6:59 AM   in reply to Henrik Nerr

Hi, am a bit cleverer now (compared to my previous post). Video clips that are shown as a VIOLET bar cannot be sound-edited immediately, because they are smart-objects. Instead, double click on the clip's thumbnail in the layer palette. Then you can SOUND-EDIT this single smart-object (a file in a file, so to speak); after closing this single object, it is updated as wished in the project.

I also noticed that for adding MP3 files to your CS6 video project, it is not helpful to simply drag MP3s into the movie preview in Photoshop; this again makes the MP3s smart-objects which are more complicated to edit. Instead, use the command Add audio, which embarrassingly i do not see at all times. But if you are able to use it, the audio appears a green bar and gets an audio-editing context menu without opening it as a separate smart-object first.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points