Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Has Adobe fixed bugs writing Tags to files in PSE11?

Sep 26, 2012 9:04 AM

There have been longstanding bugs in the PSE Organizer regarding the writing of Tags and other metadata to files.

Specifically, the two bugs that I am aware of are:

1. Writing to certain types of RAW files fails completely. In my case, writing to Nikon NEF files (or more accurately, to sidecar .xmp files) fails. Tags and other metadata were not written, and sidecar files weren't even created.
  2. If you write Tags to files; and then later remove the tag from a specific photo, and repeat the writing of Tags to the file, PSE doesn't remove the tag from the file

I call on Adobe to state clearly that they have fixed these bugs, or not.

I ask users of PSE11, if you have an opportunity to observe PSE11's performance on these issues, to report what you experience.

Thank you.

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Sep 26, 2012 4:35 PM   in reply to dj_paige

I'm not familiar with issue number one, but I'll more into it.

As for issue number two, I am aware of this one (having reported it to the engineers myself...). It has not been fixed in PSE11.

This is considered as a feature request rather than a bug, as this prevents data loss from accidentally removing keywords. To get this feature added into PSE, we need to advocate for change. This issue has already been brought up on the Feedback site (where feature requests and bugs are reported), but only one person is asking for this change. I'll check to see if others are looking for the same. But it is important that you add your name to the list:

http://feedback.photoshop.com/photoshop_family/topics/unwanted_keyword _tags_in_metadata

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 27, 2012 4:44 AM   in reply to dj_paige

We are not able to reproduce the first issue. Is this some file specific ? Can you please share one of such files ?

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 27, 2012 12:12 PM   in reply to dj_paige

dj_paige wrote:

As far as #2, if you make a change in PSE, and then expect that change to be written to the file, and it is not, then it is a bug. It can't be a feature to have different metadata in the Organizer's database and in the photo file, if you have asked PSE to write the metadata to the file.

I was quite expecting such an answer from Adobe. I must admit that writing the metadata to the file is not necessarily equivalent to update (replace) the metadata in the file from that in the catalog. For instance, you could imagine two different catalogs where you don't want to share all tags... yes, that's a bit far-fetched and I think that most users would prefer the way John R Ellis has implemented that feature in his psedbtool (for versions 6,7 and 8 only).

My prefered solution would be to set the user choice in the preferences. Either updating by 'add' or 'replace'.

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 27, 2012 3:45 PM   in reply to dj_paige

I tend to agree with dj_paige...

isn't saying that it's a desired feature that it's not possible to remove a tag so that there is no accidental data loss the same as suggesting that when you try to delete a file in windows it shouldn't let you do that, in order to prevent data loss??

definitely a bug.

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 28, 2012 2:09 PM   in reply to reisgericht

As I mentioned, I reported this behavior as a BUG to the engineers. The response from engineering was that this was not a bug, it was done on purpose. Remember, a bug is when an application is not behaving as intended (which is not the same as "behaving as expected"). In this case, because this is the way the application was designed, we have to view this in terms of a feature request: we want the application to behave in a different way. In order to have change, we have to prove to the engineers that we want this change to happen. In order to do that, we have to upvote the Feedback page I linked to above.

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 2, 2012 12:40 AM   in reply to reisgericht

PSE 11 has implemented a functionality where IPTC keywords can be appended/overwritten from the metadata pane directly. Here is how you can achieve this.

1. Select the desired files in the grid for which metadata has to be edited.

2. From the Tags/Info pane on the right, click the Information pane.

3. Click "Add IPTC Information"

4. This would open up the Edit IPTC dialog, where you can edit/add/overwrite the IPTC information including the keywords.

And once this information is saved, this would be saved in the file.

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 2, 2012 7:00 AM   in reply to Sourabh Gupta

Sourabh Gupta wrote:

PSE 11 has implemented a functionality where IPTC keywords can be appended/overwritten from the metadata pane directly. Here is how you can achieve this.

1. Select the desired files in the grid for which metadata has to be edited.

3. Click "Add IPTC Information"

4. This would open up the Edit IPTC dialog, where you can edit/add/overwrite the IPTC information including the keywords.

And once this information is saved, this would be saved in the file.

Glad to know that !

Thanks to Paige for asking and Sourabh Gupta for pointing to a useful feature I would have totally missed otherwise!

EDIT:

That worked once, and now I am unable to see the "Add IPTC Information' ?

EDIT 2:

The 'Add IPTC Information' button only appears when SEVERAL items are selected. I did not find anything about this useful feature in the help file.

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 2, 2012 8:29 PM   in reply to MichelBParis

Hi MichelBParis,

This functioanlity is also available when a single file is selected. Here are the steps -

1. Select the desired file.

3. In the Metadata section, click the "Complete" button to view the detailed metadata (if detailed metadata is not shown already)

4. Click the three dots shown along the IPTC.IPTC.JPG

This would open up the Edit IPTC dialog.

Regards,

Sourabh

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points