Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Photoshop CS6 bizarre behavior in Win8

Sep 30, 2012 3:37 PM

Tags: #windows #8 #cs6 #unstable

Don't yam that the OS is a beta: it isn't. CS6 worked stably with the consumer preview version but seems unusable with what will be the final version of Win8 (like possibly October).

Win8 has its issuess but at least it isn't the senile Mac OSancient.

I don't want to hear about video drivers: Adobe knows what the driver models are for Nvidia and ATI and it is Adobe's problem to create a stable product that conforms to the known parameters of what are mature driver platforms. I have several versions of ATI drivers archived and none of them make any difference.

I have the same issues regardless of the settings for GPU acceleration or whether the GPU is used at all, in both 32 and 64 bit versions.

Changing the GPU settings, closing and reopening the program does nothing.

I experience constant flickering in the desktop background color from blank (checkerbox) to black when implementing essentially any image manipulation. I can find no work-around for this.

The biggest issue is that it is nearly impossible to use the perspective crop tool as the image completely goes black when the mouse button is released. There is a frustrating work-around: If without moving the mouse I left click again the image reappears. Move the crop line and release the mouse button the image disappears. Click again on the left mouse button and move a few pixels and the image reappears.

Try it, you'll hate it.

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Sep 30, 2012 9:20 PM   in reply to bmoag

Hi, bmoag,

I am using photoshop cs6 on the windows 8 x64 release preview and have no such issues.

What model of ati radeon graphics card do you have?

(i have a nvidia graphics card)

Ati has had it's share of problems with graphics card drivers, but the 12.8 version should work.

Have you tried doing a complete unistall of the graphics card drivers and then reinstall?

Make sure you get the drivers from ati radeon's website and not through updating with windows.

What happens if you uncheck Use Graphics Processor in photoshop under Edit>Preferences>Preformance?

Have you applied all the latest updates for photoshop cs6?

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 1, 2012 3:12 PM   in reply to bmoag

The flickering on Win 8 is a known driver/OS bug.  We're working with the driver vendors on the issue (and still trying to understand why it affects more than one GPU vendor, but not all), and seeking workarounds until they can get updated drivers through the Microsoft channels.

And Adobe does not write to drivers: Adobe writes to common APIs, and the drivers are written to another API.  If that API works correctly on Win XP, Vista, and Win 7 - but fails on Win 8, then most likely there is a bug somewhere in the OS or drivers for Win8 (which we've already verified with the GPU vendors).

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 2, 2012 3:49 AM   in reply to bmoag

bmoag wrote:

I don't want to hear about video drivers: Adobe knows what the driver models are for Nvidia and ATI and it is Adobe's problem to create a stable product that conforms to the known parameters of what are mature driver platforms.

This attitude is not a recipe for success in troubleshooting problems.  Keep an open mind and be ready for surprises

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 23, 2013 12:27 PM   in reply to Chris Cox

Do we know if this problem is fixed yet?

I'm having the same issue and it's driving me insane. Good to finally find a forum addressing the problem.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 23, 2013 12:35 PM   in reply to Yarshe

No, the Win8 bugs are not completely fixed yet.

ATI's recent beta drivers help, though.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 23, 2013 2:33 PM   in reply to Chris Cox

Add me to the list! Received a gift Sony Vaio laptop, SVE17137CXB, Windows8 64 bit, AMD Radeon H7650M. Similar issues: desktop shifts transparent-to-opaque when using blend modes and turning layers on/off, image flickers using brush and crop tools. All I've used so far so I don't know what else might be effected. Went through a couple weeks of this stuff thinking the issue was with me and something I might of done. Then I started pokin around the web and discovered something different. Grrrrrrr. The AMD site has updated drivers but specifically states exclusion for this model. Whattayagot for me? Forecast a date?

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 23, 2013 3:13 PM   in reply to seventysumthin

For a Sony Vaio - who knows?  Sony prevents you from updating drivers via normal routes, so you have to hope that Sony eventually updates their drivers.

But overall, we have no dates for Microsoft or the GPU maker's release schedules.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 23, 2013 5:51 PM   in reply to Chris Cox

The saga gets worse!

Thanks

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 24, 2013 11:27 AM   in reply to acresofgreen

Another consideration is that video drivers are released by nVidia and AMD/ATI, almost on a monthly basis. PS is not able to be updated with that regularity to suit what the driver providers do, version to version.

Hunt

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 9, 2013 4:53 AM   in reply to Chris Cox

I have just upgraded from windows 7 64 bit to windows 8 64 bit and I am now experiencing this issue with CS6 with the background constantly changing from grey to transparent to black randomly.   Its making it impossible to do any selections in CS6.

My graphics card is a Radeon HD 6670 (2gb mem)

I have tried switiching the graphics options to Basic, Normal and Advanced but CS6 behaves the same in all those modes.

Is there a solution for this yet?

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points