Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Using actions to process photos

Sep 30, 2012 1:44 PM

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Sep 30, 2012 1:44 PM   in reply to Community Help

Where is the Actions panel in Photoshop Elements 10?  Was this panel removed and this help doc never updated?

|
    Mark as:
  • 99jon
    12,806 posts
    Jan 6, 2010
    Sep 30, 2012 2:10 PM   in reply to davidmarx

Edit >> Guided

At the bottom of the guided edit panel click on Actions Player.

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 30, 2012 2:18 PM   in reply to davidmarx

The actions panel is new in PSE 11.

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 22, 2012 8:33 AM   in reply to Barbara B.

How and where can I record an action in Photoshop Elements 11?

|
    Mark as:
  • 99jon
    12,806 posts
    Jan 6, 2010
    Oct 22, 2012 8:41 AM   in reply to P.Konrad

You can import compatible ATN files downloaded from the net but it’s not possible to record actions in PSE11 or earlier. In PSE11 you simply click Add Actions; it’s no longer necessary to go digging around the system files.

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 22, 2012 8:42 AM   in reply to P.Konrad

You can't record actions in PSE, only run them when someone has created them in photoshop.

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 17, 2012 1:51 PM   in reply to Community Help

How can I add multiple access at once instead of adding one at a time?

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 17, 2012 3:22 PM   in reply to phoenixpam

I'm not sure what you mean by "multiple access". If you mean to run more than one action at a time, you would need to have someone create an action that includes all the steps in one action. If you mean on more than one image at a time, that's one of the lines that adobe draws between full PS and PSE. In PSE you can only run an action on one image at a time, not on a folder the way you can in PS.

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 17, 2012 3:41 PM   in reply to Community Help

I am using PSE 10 on a Mac Mini.  I downloaded a .atn file and dropped it in the Actions Folder in the finder, Quit PSE 10 and restarted it.  When I went to the Actions Panel, I was unable to find the .atn Action.  Could you please tell me the proper procedure for installing a new Action?

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 17, 2012 3:44 PM   in reply to 85trucker

I'm confused. Do you mean you tried to installl in  the actions player or the effects panel? The actions panel is only in PSE 11.

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 17, 2012 3:48 PM   in reply to Barbara B.

I am unable to install a .atn file in PSE 10, so I dropped it in the Actions Folder in my finder.  I checked for it in the Actions Player in the Effects panel.  Sorry.  I'm just learning the proper terms since I'm new to PSE 10.

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 17, 2012 4:00 PM   in reply to Community Help

I am using PSE 10 on a Mac Mini.  I can access Actions through Guided but there are no icons to click on in order to add more Actions.  I found the Actions Folder in the finder and dropped the Action.atn into the Actions Folder and restarted PSE 10, re-booted my Mac and couldn't find the action in the Actions Panel.  Could you please guide me through this?

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 17, 2012 4:30 PM   in reply to 99jon

I am unable to install a .atn file in PSE 10, so I dropped it in the Actions Folder in my finder.  I checked for it in the Actions Player in the Effects panel.  Is there another method to install a .atn file in PSE 10?

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 17, 2012 7:41 PM   in reply to 85trucker

I don't have a clue as to what you're doing, but I'm guessing you're trying to make PSE 10 work like photoshop and it doesn't. Actions for the action player in guided edit go into Hard Drive➝ Library➝Application Support➝Adobe➝Photoshop Elements➝10.0➝Locale➝en_ US➝Workflow Panels➝Actions (as in Windows, the “en_US” part is different if you aren’t in the U.S.).

Installing into the effects panel is completely different, and there is no "actions panel" there. You can install them as effects if that is what you want to do.

First, you need two files: one for the action itself (the .atn file) and one to use as a thumbnail so that you can find the action to launch it. The thumbnail needs to be a 64-pixel square PNG image with exactly the same name as the action (except for the file extension), including spacing, capitalization, and so on. Put them into <your hard drive>➝Library➝Application Support➝Adobe➝Photoshop Elements➝10.0➝Photo Creations➝photo effects. You will then need to delete the file mediaDatabase.db3. On a Mac, it’s in <your hard drive>➝ Library➝Application Support➝Adobe➝Photoshop Elements➝10.0➝ Locale➝en_ US (or your location). 

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 19, 2012 7:47 AM   in reply to Barbara B.

Thank you Barbara B.  I finally discovered the proper archiving on my own.  I

learned of 'Actions' the same day this conversation began and didn't fully

understand what it was until I was able to use it, hands on, myself.  It works

fine now that I got the .atn files in the proper folder.  Thank you again for

your help.

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 21, 2012 12:15 PM   in reply to Barbara B.

Sorry I wasn’t specific – I’m trying to add them to PSE 11.  In PSE 10 as you described below you could copy and drop multiple files into the Actions folder but I can’t seem to find a folder in 11 that would do the same.

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 21, 2012 12:32 PM   in reply to phoenixpam

In PSE11 you can directly load actions in Action Player. To start with, in Expert mode, go to Window -> Actions. It will launch Action Player. On the top right, you will find 4 small lines with an arrow. Clicking on them will give you some options, select Load Actions. Navigate to the .atn file and select it.

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 21, 2012 4:06 PM   in reply to phoenixpam

If your on a windows system you could put the actions into

(to see the below folders you need to enable Show Hidden Files and Folders in the Folder Options)

(windows vista,7 and 8) C:\Users\Your Name\AppData\Roaming\Adobe\Photoshop Elements\11.0\Presets\Actions

(windows xp) C:\Documents and Settings\Your Name\Application Data\Adobe\Photoshop Elements 11.0\Presets\Actions

Then start photoshop elements 11 and you can see the list of your actions and load them by clicking on the name.

Untitled-2.png

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 30, 2012 7:36 AM   in reply to Community Help

I'd like to organize all my custom downloaded actions into one folder such as Florabella Actions or Paint the MoonActions.  It did this in PSE 10 but I don't see how to do this in PSE 11.  I have lots of custom actions and now have to scroll down through the entire list to choose an action.  Very frustrating and time consuming.

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 20, 2012 1:30 PM   in reply to jdretler

AHH! I am having the exact some problem!  I'm really frustrated!!!!!!!!!!!

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 20, 2012 1:31 PM   in reply to Community Help

I'd like to organize all my custom downloaded actions into one FAVORITES folder such as Florabella Actions or Paint the MoonActions.  It did this easily in PSE 10 but I don't see how to do this in PSE 11.  I have lots of custom actions and now have to scroll down through the entire list to choose an action.  Very frustrating and time consuming.

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 20, 2012 1:34 PM   in reply to jessaagner

Well, if you need to work with tons of actions you have two options:

1. Install them in the effects panel, exactly the way you did in previous versions.

2. Make a master folder for your actions outside PSE and just install the ones you are going to use, then remove them when you're done. Given how easy the installation process is in PSE 11, that's not a major effort.

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 20, 2013 6:18 PM   in reply to Community Help

I am new to photoshop elements 10. I dragged a the action file to my desktop and extracted it. How can I then open and use it in ps?

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 23, 2013 10:35 AM   in reply to 85trucker

Hi reneeroth, So where did you put the program in PSE10, so you could access it from the Actions option in the Guided area.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 23, 2013 10:36 AM   in reply to 85trucker

Hi reneeroth, So where did you put the program in PSE10, so you could access it from the Actions option in the Guided area.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 13, 2013 3:15 PM   in reply to PHTOS4U

Im new to PSE 11. I just downloaded the florrabella add ons and I cant seem to get them to come up on my PSE 11 program. I've read the directions telling me to press "load actions" in the actions bar,but when i do, it cant seem to find my downloaded add on files. does anyone know what i need to do to make this work?thanks!

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 13, 2013 3:19 PM   in reply to emberparker

Find the actions first. They are probably in your downloads folder. Get them out where you can see them, and you almost certainly need to unzip them. Then try. After they're loaded you can put the originals wherever you like to store them.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points