Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

People and Face Recognition tags not showing up under People page after converting to PSE11

Oct 12, 2012 3:40 PM

Hi Forum

Upgrade from PSE 10 to PSE 11

Beware, having just spent over 3 hours using the face tagging feature in Elements 11 (because it does not use people tags from earlier versions to populate the new People Tab). I can only say the result was less than useless. I now have over 1200 images tagged with the wrong people and multiple wrong people at that. And worse still the person that should have been tagged is not there at all!

I noticed that during the tagging process the image displayed to provide a name for is not the image when selecting full screen view - it actually displays another image. So my guess is it is not actually tagging the face you see but applying the tag to the image it actually thinks it is.

Therefore the result is utter garbage.... What a waste of time and effort. Not happy at all. When will Adobe release working software, hard lesson learned here.

Regards

David

Message title was edited by: Brett N

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Oct 2, 2012 6:54 AM   in reply to Donkey2303

Hi David,

I understand your frustration here but just to confirm, People tags from previous versions are brought to EO11, and they should be populated in right panel in Media view and shown as Stacks in People View.

However it does require that the people tags in the previous version were present under People category.

Can you please reconvert your catalog and let the face data caching happen for some time.

Now click People View tab and see if the tagged people from previous version catalog are there. For me it does work correctly.

If you don't want to do that, you can try with a small set of data first in a new catalog.

Looking forward to your findings

Thanks

Andaleeb

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 2, 2012 10:39 PM   in reply to Donkey2303

Thank You David for briefing that out.

As I understand it, If you have a hierarchy like-

People >> Family >> Immediate >> Jane where Jane is the people tag while rest are sub-categories, the hierarchy should be restored upon conversion..

If the work is not too much, and since you already are seeing all such people stacks in People Groups View, you simply need to select all such stacks and drag-drop the group name on them to assign. Can you please give that a try.

Or are you saying that you DO NOT SEE sub level tags (sub-categories like 'Immediate' in above example) in Groups Pane?

Thanks

Andaleeb

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 12, 2012 3:38 PM   in reply to Donkey2303

Just to clarify the situation, when you convert a catalog from a previous version of Elements Organizer to version 11, the People page is populated with the Keyword Tags under the People category (and its sub-categories, which become Groups). If you organized your keywords so that you have tags of people (even those created using facial recognition) in a category other than People, they will not show up on the People page.

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 17, 2012 12:26 PM   in reply to Brett N

"...the People page is populated with the Keyword Tags under the People category..."

This is absolutely not true.  The tags, if written to the image, will remain.  However, they will not be listed in the People category.  The fix is simple...the import process must be re-done to include the people tags.  For Adobe to leverage the 'people recognition' routine for over 20,000 photos is...well, just not good.  Average time for recognition on each photo is over one minute.  After a couple hours, still have not reached 1%. 

"...they should be populated in right panel in Media view and shown as Stacks in People View."

'Should' is the operative word.  Checking all the boards I can find, I'm not seeing this is the case.

Elements 10 looking better and better.

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 19, 2012 3:56 PM   in reply to PacificGreen

From my own testing, simply having tags in the People category, whether they were put there manually or added using facial recognition, would be listed in the People page. Did you have you people tags from the previous version stored in the People category? Were they not nested (top level tags)? Would you be willing to share you pre-converted catalog with me for testing? Or provide before and after screen shots (what your Keyword Tags panels looks like in your previous version of Elements Organizer and what it looks like after conversion in PSE11)?

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points