Skip navigation
StarShire
Currently Being Moderated

Photoshop CS4 (11.0.2) Constantly Crashing on Retina MacBook Pro

Oct 2, 2012 7:47 AM

Tags: #cs4 #photshop #web_premium #retina_display

Hello!

I have tried to search for solutions to fix a probem I am having but I did not find much help.

Everytime I use Photoshop CS4 (11.0.2) on my MacBook Pro with Retina display (OS X 10.8.2, 2.6GHz Intel Core i7), the software randomly keeps on crashing without warning. There is no specific thing that I do that makes it crash. I just edit an image like I usually do on Photoshop such as moving objects, creating new layers, and clicking on different sets of tools and the program crashes.

I haven't done much work on it recently but I sometimes also had trouble saving Photoshop files. I don't remember exactly but whenever I save, a error message pops up and tells me that I cannot save the file; saving with a different file name works but I have to constantly make "file1.psd, file2.psd, file3.psd" to aviod the error message.

I haven't tried out my other CS4 Web Preimium softwares on my new MacBook yet and don't have the install disk for it right now since I forgot to bring it with me to study abroad so I can't try reinstalling it.

Is there anything I can do to solve the issue?

Thank you!

Replies
  • Sudarshan Thiagarajan
    4,000 posts
    Oct 15, 2010
    Oct 2, 2012 8:01 AM   in reply to StarShire

Can you please post a crash report to help us find out what may be going wrong?

Finder > Menubar > Go > Go To Folder > ~/Library/Logs/CrashReporter

|
    Mark as:
  • Sudarshan Thiagarajan
    4,000 posts
    Oct 15, 2010
    Oct 2, 2012 10:06 AM   in reply to StarShire

Is this a new install you've done on your Retina display MBP or was it already installed much earlier?

If it is a new install, did you migrate your files using Time Machine/ Migration Assistant or something similar or did you use your Installation Disc to do a fresh install?

|
    Mark as:
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Oct 2, 2012 10:13 AM   in reply to StarShire

OK, that's weird.

According to that code, the OS told Photoshop that the display was 0 pixels wide, and when we used the width in a calculation, things blew up. (and looks like it was zero pixels tall as well, if I got the register usage right)

Fortunately that calculation has had safety added in later versions (comment says that disconnecting an external display could sometimes trigger a zero sized display).

|
    Mark as:
  • Sudarshan Thiagarajan
    4,000 posts
    Oct 15, 2010
    Oct 2, 2012 10:22 AM   in reply to StarShire

Starshire, Chris is an Adobe employee and he's one of the  actual engineers that write Photoshop!

Chris, why would this be?! I had picked up a Retina for my workplace recently and didn't have any problems - I had migrated one of the CS4 licenses I had picked up long time ago.

Something to do with the actual screen resolution or performance display switching on the OSX? Maybe? I'm assuming you're already interested in figuring out why this is!

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 2, 2012 10:28 AM   in reply to StarShire

I haven't heard of others with this problem - but 10.8 does have a number of new and outstanding bugs.

Guesses about why this might happen on one system and not others: corrupt preferences (OS or Photoshop), a utility program that isn't 10.8 compatible, different OS settings (Spaces, etc.), conflict with another app using the GPU, and then I'm out of guesses....

|
    Mark as:
  • Sudarshan Thiagarajan
    4,000 posts
    Oct 15, 2010
    Oct 2, 2012 10:30 AM   in reply to Chris Cox

Well, I'd like to think so too, Chris - considering this is not an issue that can be easily reproducible.

But Chris, do you think that checking his Performance/ ENergy Saver settings within OS preferences would be of help?

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 2, 2012 10:37 AM   in reply to Sudarshan Thiagarajan

At this point, I have no idea what might help, just wild guesses.

You could try normal troubleshooting steps: trash Photoshop prefs, disable utilities, disable non-default OS settings, turn off other apps, etc.

|
    Mark as:
  • Sudarshan Thiagarajan
    4,000 posts
    Oct 15, 2010
    Oct 2, 2012 11:06 AM   in reply to Chris Cox

In the meantime Chris, do you think a dylib force-reset would help?

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 2, 2012 4:47 PM   in reply to Sudarshan Thiagarajan

Nope.

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 3, 2012 6:15 PM   in reply to Sudarshan Thiagarajan

StarShire: Which resolution are you using (best for retina display)?

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 25, 2012 6:02 AM   in reply to Jesper Storm Bache

I'm having a similar problem. Mine is on Mountain Lion on a MacBook (alum) before they called it a pro. I recently moved to an SSD drive so I reinstalled Photoshop (11.0.2). I couldn't open it this morning while it was plugged in to my external monitor. I disconnected it, but that didn't help. I then did a reboot (no external monitor or devices). Photoshop opened. It has stayed open now that I've connected my external monitor back in.

I'm not sure how you would run in to a 0 pixel display assuming this is a divide by zero error. If a Mac error, how do you work with OS vendors to notify them of issues?

|
    Mark as:
  • Sudarshan Thiagarajan
    4,000 posts
    Oct 15, 2010
    Oct 25, 2012 9:04 AM   in reply to RCS04

Apple Support.

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 25, 2012 5:57 PM   in reply to RCS04

We have internal contacts with Apple to file bug reports and discuss serious issues (honestly, they're just 10 minutes up the street from us).

As an end user, all you can do is call Apple Support, talk to a Genius, or post it on the Apple forums.

I think this was already reported by us, and we added additional safety in the code for a later release to make sure we deal with zero values correctly.

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 26, 2012 5:40 AM   in reply to Chris Cox

What later release? Is that something existing owners can update to?

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 26, 2012 10:30 AM   in reply to RCS04

"A" later release - as in "something not yet available".

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 26, 2012 12:05 PM   in reply to StarShire

I just wanted to post that I am having the same issue... my brand new retina MBP, running Mountain Lion 10.8.2, Photoshop CS4 11.0

So... sorry, I'm not going to be as technologically competent in this discussion...

I just wait until photoshop or apple releases an update with a fix?
    Has there been any insight into temporary fixes, at least?

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 26, 2012 12:06 PM   in reply to truenorthspecial

No temporary fixes. But something should be available soon.

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 31, 2013 1:05 AM   in reply to Chris Cox

Every time I try to move the ordering of layers in the layer palette Photoshop (11.0.2) crashes on ML (10.8).  This crash happens every time, i.e. is 100% repeatable...

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 31, 2013 1:58 AM   in reply to Peter_Adventures

Peter_Adventures

See if the first solution in this kb document solves the problem of crashing when moving layers in the layers panel.

http://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/kb/crash-dragging-layers-layers-panel .html

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 3, 2013 9:13 PM   in reply to StarShire

I am also having the same issue. Photoshop CS4 version 11 on a Macbook Pro with retina 10.8.2. I made the suggested changes as per R_Kelly's suggestion above. Upgrading software is not an option for me right now and photoshop has crashed 6 times in the last 5 minutes. Is there anything else I can try?

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 3, 2013 9:50 PM   in reply to nstransky

Turning off the OS automatic graphics switching is the only workaround we know.

This is a known bug in MacOS, but Apple won't fix their bug because it's in the old Carbon code.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points