Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Changing clip speed and duration

Oct 2, 2012 2:32 PM

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Oct 2, 2012 2:32 PM   in reply to Community Help

Why cant i click the tool and drag to desired length? so much easier than having to guess....

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 2, 2012 3:18 PM   in reply to Lairyliam

Which version of PrE?

What is your Project's Preset, and what are the specs. of your Source Footage?

What happens when you select the Time Stretch Tool, then click+drag on the Tail of the Video Clip?

Good luck,

Hunt

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 2, 2012 11:51 PM   in reply to Bill Hunt

Hi Bill, Thanks for the unexpected reply. I posted this on a page of the manual as a comment! - im rather impressed!

I am trailing 11, on my previous versions (9&7)  I would hit X grab the end of the clip (currently working on PAL SD 720x576 footage) and drag to desired legnth. but when I selcet the tool now either from the menu or the action bar, the box comes up like it used to in Premiere 6.0 with no option for dragging.  - hence me looking at the manual page.

It might be a settings thing, but i cant find it!

Liam

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 3, 2012 5:33 AM   in reply to Lairyliam

You can, by the way, right-click and select Time Stretch and, on the Time Stretch option panel, designate a length for your clip. The program will then automatically speed up or slow down the clip so that it fits that length.

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 3, 2012 7:56 AM   in reply to Steve Grisetti

Thanks Steve, but its that option panel I am trying to avoid, I am just looking to drag to the length I want, normally based on music, or other things I have going on. 

Plus, when tweaking it shifts everything else over, which when editing to the beat of the music really isnt a help, as I then have to bring all the footage after my editing point back again, which i never had to do before, guessing a clip length for musical timing is kind of a time wasting thing, click and drag was a perfect soloution that appears to be removed for somthing that I saw in premiere 6.0.

Liam

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 3, 2012 8:07 AM   in reply to Lairyliam

Liam,

Just so that I am clear, the Time Stretch Tool, in PrE 11, is working differently, than in previous versions, and you only get the dialog box now? Looking at the early reviews of PrE 11, I had not picked up on that change. If so, I would chide Adobe for making that change - one should be able to select that Tool, then click+drag, to get what you want to do.

TIA for that info, and good luck,

Hunt

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 3, 2012 8:09 AM   in reply to Lairyliam

As for other Clips moving, that function (a Ripple effect on the Timeline), can usually be by-passed by holding down the Ctrl modifier key, when performing such an editing operation. However, if ONLY the dialog box is available, not sure what would need to be done, to toggle Ripple OFF.

Good luck,

Hunt

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 3, 2012 9:36 AM   in reply to Bill Hunt

That is correct sir yes, no click and drag option is avaialble to me.

Liam

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 3, 2012 9:37 AM   in reply to Bill Hunt

The Ctrl key...  didnt know that one, Thanks!!

Liam

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 3, 2012 9:47 AM   in reply to Lairyliam

Hm-m, maybe Steve has some useful insight, as he has been using PrE 11 to write his just released book. I know that some things have changed, but have not noticed that one in any of the reviews - yet.

I am now hesitant to install PrE 11, as I also have CS 6 Production Studio, and worry. See this thread for the cause of my worries: http://forums.adobe.com/thread/1075535?tstart=0

Good luck,

Hunt

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 3, 2012 9:49 AM   in reply to Lairyliam

The Ctrl key...  didnt know that one

The modifier keys can change some operations, though not sure HOW one would apply them in this particular case - however, they might be very useful for other operations later.

Happy editing,

Hunt

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 3, 2012 9:52 AM   in reply to Bill Hunt

The feature you're describing is how Time Stretch works in Sony Vegas. It's not available on Premiere Elements.

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 3, 2012 10:32 AM   in reply to Steve Grisetti

I am a little confused now Steve. I have owned Premiere 6.0, and  Premiere elements 7 & 9 and never any thing that Sony offers,  and its definatly the way my workflow works.{ (x) grab and drag.} right to slow it down or leftto speed it up.

This is from PrE 9.

Screen Shot 2012-10-03 at 18.11.57.jpg

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 3, 2012 11:03 AM   in reply to Lairyliam

Oops! My apologies, Lairyliam! You are absolutely right! That must have slipped my mind.

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 3, 2012 11:06 AM   in reply to Lairyliam

That is exactly how it works in PrE 4.0, and with but a few slight differences, how it works in Premiere Pro, form CS 2 thru CS 6.

Guess that PrE 11 changed things?

Good luck,

Hunt

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 3, 2012 11:10 AM   in reply to Bill Hunt

You used to also be able to do this, I believe, by holding down the X key. But that doesn't work in version 11 either.

Looks like, with the much more powerful Time Remapping tool added, the Time Stretch tool has been scaled back a bit.

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 3, 2012 11:11 AM   in reply to Steve Grisetti

Time Remapping has also become more powerful in PrPro too, so perhaps PrE is just following suit?

Thank you for testing and for reporting.

Hunt

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 3, 2012 12:03 PM   in reply to Bill Hunt

ah. cr...... That time remapping tool is kind of cumbersome and slower way of working in my opinion...  oh well if its gone its gone - (put it backin 12 please adobe!!)

Thanks for your time gents, as you can see I have been registered a few years now, but never had the need to use this service before.

Appreciate it

Liam

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 28, 2013 10:03 AM   in reply to Lairyliam

Upgraded to Premiere Elements 11 recently.  Did a Google search for "time stretch tool" and found this discussion.

The omission of a simple time stretch TOOL where you could click and drag a clip to a desired length directly on the timeline (a tool available in my previous version) is a huge disappointment and big mistake on Adobe's part, IMO.

Very, very bad design decision.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 28, 2013 10:28 AM   in reply to FiveBuy160

Have you filed a feature request with Adobe? It's the only way to get something like this changed.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 29, 2013 9:12 AM   in reply to Steve Grisetti

Hey, Steve:

No, I hadn't "filed a feature request" - and didn't even know one could - but I'll look into it now.

The lack of a simple Time Stretch Tool in PE11 is a big disappiontment.  I used it quite often in my previous versions, and the alternatives in PE11 (Time Stretch box and Time Remapping) are, as someone above commented, "cumbersome".  At best.  I'm sure they're useful for certain types of projects, but I've tried to use them now on my current project, and they force me to "guess" and use trial and error.  For instance, I needed to Time Stretch a video clip to match a separate audio track.  Before, I would have just used the Time Stretch Tool to drag the video clip exactly where I wanted it to hit certain beats of the audio clip.  Now, I can't do that, and I have to keep counting frames and doing math to calculate the proper duration - which REALLY discourages experimentation, BTW.

I really don't understand why they eliminated this tool.  I used it extensively.

In any case, I'll look for a way to file a feature request now.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 29, 2013 9:23 AM   in reply to FiveBuy160

Well, I just tried to leave a "feature request".  I went through the entire procedure, wrote a message, tried to post it...

...and got the message that "it is no longer possible to create a photoshop.com account" or something like that.

Great.  Another 15 mintues wasted.

Adobe, why do you let us go through the entire process of composing a "feature request" for Premiere Elements, only to tell us AT THE VERY END that it's impossible to post said message?

This was major-league irritating...

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 29, 2013 9:39 AM   in reply to FiveBuy160

Unfortunately, Adobe Photoshop.com, has morphed into Reveal.

Personally, I wish that Adobe would reinitiate their old Feature Request proceedure for Premiere Elements. Once, it was a separate Web site, for Bug reports and Feature Requests, but was rolled into what became known as the Photoshop.com "family."

I cannot even begin to speculate on what all the motivations were, for the various changes in Bug/Feature reporting, but could possibly guess that Adobe was being overwhelmed with requests for features that already existed, or Bug reports, where the cause was specific to one's hardware, or just OE.

I also doubt that many PrE engineers/developers monitor this forum all that closely, so Feature Requests here (or Bug reports), probably are never seen. I find this unfortunate, as some of the posts here could definitely benefit from some true "under the hood" knowledge of exactly how the program works. We mere users know the program pretty well on the surface, but some questions require a much more in-depth knowledge, that few of us have. We might be able to try and replicate an issue, but beyond our observations (again on the surface), are ill-equipped to dig much more deeply.

Sorry that the Photoshop.com changeover has sort of cut us all off from true Bug reporting, and Feature Requests.

Good luck,

Hunt

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 29, 2013 9:45 AM   in reply to Bill Hunt

Actually, Bill, photoshop.com has become Revel.com.

And you can post videos to www.photoshopshowcase.com.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 29, 2013 9:46 AM   in reply to Steve Grisetti

Do they have a form, to file Bug Reports, or Feature Request?

Last time that I looked (very early in the roll-out of Reveal), they did not, but perhaps that team is still in the evolution stage?

Thank you,

Hunt

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points