Adobe Acrobat 10 Pro
Read lout doesn't work though I've checkedball settings according to this document.
(Scansoft Omnipage read out is correctly reading; Why not Adobe programs?)
Where is the problem?
I prefer to use the text to speech function on my Mac, rather than the Read Out Loud feature on Acrobat Pro, because it allows me to easily stop the voice when I need to make edits on the pdf (I'm an editor). However, the text to speech function doesn't appear work for Acrobat Pro X, though it works fine with my version 8 (with the same pdf file). Has Pro X changed so much that the text to speech function no longer works, as with several other great features of the earlier versions? I'd be deeply disappointed if that is the case--I will certainly not buy X for all my computers. Any ideas on why it wouldn't work?
Just noticed I had not gotten back on this. I just went back and ran a PDF with read out loud in AA9. It had no problems. I would have to change computers to try AAXI, but I suspect that works fine. I find that it reads everything (labels and everything else) and reads in a fast, monotonous tone (probably typical of readers). You do have to be your speakers on (I say this because mine are off by default on this tablet and I only turn them on when needed).
I don't think this helps your problem, but at least it is some feedback.
Thanks for your response, Bill@VT. It would be interesting to hear if anyone with Acrobat X can get the read-aloud function to work, and also the Mac's text-to-speech function to work with Acrobat X. If other people don't have problems, then perhaps it is somehow a problem with my version of X (downloaded as part of my creative suite cloud subscription).
I cannot get read aloud function to work with adobe pro X.
I already told that long ago and I thought adobe would repair that quickly because lots of people have same problem.
Unfortunately they do nothing for their customers.
Fortunately it's the only problem on my computer.
Hey, Lenore -- did you ever solve this problem?
I tried using the accessibility wizard, but I still get inconsistent performance from reading aloud. After I activate Read This Page Only, I click on text to start. Sometimes the box that indicates the selected text is just that paragraph and the narrator starts. Sometimes the box appears but there's no sound. Sometimes the box selected an entire column or even several columns, but there's no sound. These can all happen from one paragraph to the next, on the same page, in the same document.
I'm using OS 10.8.4 and Acrobat 10.1.7 on a MacBook Air. The pdfs I'm working with were sent to me by a client; their properties say they were created in Indesign CS6 on a Mac (I can provide more info if that's useful). They're not especially complex documents: each is two or three pages long, with a head and some text across two or three columns of text, with one or two pull quotes on a page, and a photograph with a caption.
I'm going to report this as a bug at https://www.adobe.com/cfusion/mmform/index.cfm?name=wishform, but I'm wondering if
anyone came up with any useful suggestions on how to get reliable, consistent performance!
Hi, I hope this helps.
I've been creating an interactive document using indesign CS6 (mac) and editing with acrobat pro X (mac).
After a lot of reading up I realised that the best place to properly tag your elements is through indesign (it's easier and methodical, and of course you can change it to ensure that the flow of your document reads out properly).
I then tested it; firstly on a mac using reader XI and acrobat pro X. Some pages worked a treat, others would read lines only if you clicked on them, and sometimes lines resolutely refused to read out loud at all.
I then spent several day tearing my hair out trying to figure out what was going on. The tags were there, but just didn't work sometimes. At this point I almost gave up. I then read an article suggesting this was an issue with the mac versions of the software and so I booted up bootcamp and used acrobat reader on the win 8 platform and... it works. Perfectly.
Now I know my client uses PCs exclusively so this is the solution for me at least. The important thing to remember is that the mac versions of the software work when you're creating your file, they just don't seem to be very good at reading it.
So you never know - you may have been doing it right all along!