Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

InDesign CS 6 Folio Builder crashing

Oct 3, 2012 4:58 AM

Hello all,

I have a big problem with DPS tools for Adobe InDesign CS6 (CC) on Mac OS X Lion. Every time I start the Folio Builder or Folio Overlays panel it flickers 3 or 4 times and then the InDesign crashes. I have trashed the InDesign preferences and installed the latest patch for DPS tools without any improvement. Occasionaly the Folio Builder opens but then there are other issues (I've had 9 instances of the same file open at once with no way to close them - I close 3 or 4 and the same number of files  opens again).

I hope u understand it is quite annoying since i'm trying to build my first folio for a very important client and for now it's been a nightmare. I'm even considering reverting back to ID CS5.5.

Please advise on further action.

A link to pastebin for error report: http://pastebin.com/ZvYHsGbd

Thank you in advance,

Matej

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Oct 3, 2012 8:19 AM   in reply to jetamz

I have seen this type of crash from a few other users in the forums, but have never been able to reproduce it myself. A few things that you might be able to try:

- You can try updating to the the latest version of InDesign (CS6 8.0.1)

- Try downloading the DPS directly from the website instead of the Updates menu (http://www.adobe.com/support/downloads/detail.jsp?ftpID=5377)

Let me know if either of those solve your problem.

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 3, 2012 8:54 AM   in reply to Stephen Ash

Try clearing the local folio cache:

On Mac /Users/user name/Library/Preferences/ StageManager.<long_guid>/Local Store/

Please delete following cache file/folders:

*    #SharedObjects

*    Dmp folder

On PC, C:\Users\user name\AppData\Roaming\StageManager.BD092818F67280F4B42B04877600987F011 1B594.1\Local Store is the path and delete those two folders.

You'll wind up losing any local folios you created, but it may help with your issue with the panel not opening.

Neil

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 26, 2012 11:14 AM   in reply to jetamz

Also living a nightmarish day. I've been sucessfully using the latest build for the past 4 weeks, no problems at all.

This morning, for no apparent reason the folio panel starts to load up and then proceeds to crash after 3-4 flickers. I found that if I go up to thw Workspace panel and immediately revert to a non-dps workspace, ID will stay running.

This would almost be good, save the fact that I can't finish up work on a Folio that is supposed to go live in a few days.

I tried deleting the two folder initially. Unfortuantely no effect.

I just completely uninstalled InDesign CS6. Reinstalled it (Cloud), immediately ran update upon launch.

Then I launched the software. Folio panel loaded up and I was told that my DPS plugins are not compatible.

So I download the installed released on 10/10, and ran it. Now the application launches and the flickering->CRASH is happenning all over again.

Help?

|
    Mark as:
  • Bob Bringhurst
    4,643 posts
    May 29, 2007
    Currently Being Moderated
    Oct 26, 2012 4:17 PM   in reply to Stephen Barrante

Sorry to hear about this installation problem. I suggest you choose Help > Updates and update the DPS Desktop Tools. With CS6, you always want the most current DPS tools. If you get an incompatible plugin error, try solution 2 in this tech note:

http://helpx.adobe.com/digital-publishing-suite/kb/error-do-have-compa tible-digital.html

Let us know if that doesn't work and we'll go from there.

|
    Mark as:
    May 22, 2013 4:13 AM   in reply to Bob Bringhurst

After almost two days of horror, I've finally found a solution for this irritating problem. None of the above worked for me, no matter how I reinstalled or whatever. Since the v26 update the folio builder panel simply crashed InDesign.

But there's light at the end of the tunnel. Luckily Adobe can't erase the entire internet, or even their own site . Download a former update package (found here: http://download.adobe.com/pub/adobe/dpsdesktoptools/win/2.06/AdobeDigi talPublishingPatch-All.zip) and install this after reinstall. Works like charm...

I'll wait patiently for the v27 release where I hope they will fixed this major issue.

Kind regards,

Gerben.

|
    Mark as:
    May 22, 2013 9:19 AM   in reply to Zetwerkwinkel

Was your FBP docked when it was crashing ID?

|
    Mark as:
    May 22, 2013 9:31 AM   in reply to John J Metzger

Tried both docked and undocked. Didn't make any difference...

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 1, 2013 8:07 AM   in reply to jetamz

I've got the same problem here...

I installed InDesign 6 on Mac Snow Leopard system via the Adobe Application Manager and I'm using the Trial run for now.

After installation I updated all the components right away through the help menu in ID.

I also got InDesign 5.5 installed with the Digital Publishing Suite.

As soon as I click the Folio Overlays panel (docked or not docked) InDesign starts opening the same (so it seems) random file.

When I try to close one, another one opens, forcing me to force quit ID.

I allready tried the following solutions:

- downloading the DPS directly from the website instead of the Updates menu

Which gives me an error when trying to install: 'can not apply updates'

- I deleted the following preferences files and caches:

/Users/user name/Library/Preferences/ StageManager.<long_guid>/Local Store/

#SharedObjects

- Tried the Ptach file, but it's an .exe so can't use it

Any other options? Beacuse it's pretty useless like this...

Thanks a lot!

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (1)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points