Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Duplicate A Path?

Oct 3, 2012 8:40 PM

Tags: #help #duplicate #paths #cs6 #photoshop_cs6 #duplicate_path

Hey Y'all                                                                                               Level: Frustrated ... I mean ... Newbie'ish  OS: Win7 64bit  PS:Cs6

So, I have done this ...

1. Radial Gradient on the BG layer > Duplicated the layer then Transformed it down for a "Floor" effect

2. Added a Mask then painted to fade the duplicated layer into the BG layer

3. Opened the Paths panel > Clicked the New Path icon > Pen tool (set to shape as I assumed it should be because I tried it set to Path and down the line it didn't pan out) I drew the basic shape for my project

(which is to be a camera)

4. Copied a Leather Texture from a different document and Pasted it on to the Same Layer (ie: I didn't create a NL)

5. Added an Adjustment layer > set the HSL's

6. Copied the basic (camera) path and placed it on top of the leather texture (layer)

7. Selected the Texture and the Adjustment layers > Ctrl+G > Layer > Vector Mask > Current Path

Below is where I am stuck

8. I am suppose to Duplicate the Path of the Camera ... but ... when I drag the Path down to the Create New Path Icon ... or attempt to Duplicate the Path by Any means

and then perform the next step which is:

9. go to Layer > New Fill Layer > Solid Color ... either the color will fill just the shape of the camera or it fills the entire layer

when the camera does fill with a color I cannot get the next step to work which is:

10. Add a Rectangle Shape and Modify its shape > set the Rectangle to Subtract ... Well, the Rectangle is NOT Subtracting ....

I know this because the leather is not showing through the color (lol, doh!)

So, all in all I suppose I am asking how I should Best go about DUPLICATING a PATH ... ???

I mean, do I ... need to copy the path into an other component? An other layer? Should I be using NL where I am not using NL's?

I'm just so Frusteratedededtedted ...

PS. Do I go to the Path panel to Duplicate? or Duplicate in the Layers panel?

Replies
  • JJMack
    6,049 posts
    Jan 9, 2006
    Oct 3, 2012 8:46 PM   in reply to Kar209

Use the rectangle shape tool with the camera shape layer the current layer make sure the tool is set to shape mode not path or pixels. Then  in the Tool Option bar make sure the path operations option is set to subtract. It the first icon pull-down menu after the H: field choose subtract from shape. Then drage out the rectangle.

|
    Mark as:
  • JJMack
    6,049 posts
    Jan 9, 2006
    Oct 4, 2012 5:22 AM   in reply to Kar209

subPath.jpg

Open image in new tab

|
    Mark as:
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Oct 4, 2012 9:48 PM   in reply to Kar209

I thnk JJMack is showing nice tutorial. Thank you JJMack.

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 4, 2012 10:59 PM   in reply to Kar209

Kar please go clipping path india blog i think you find your answer.

|
    Mark as:
  • JJMack
    6,049 posts
    Jan 9, 2006
    Oct 5, 2012 4:19 AM   in reply to Kar209

Kar209 wrote:

hi tmy....

yes i certainly do agree.

suppose i should call adobe b/c there doesn't seem to be a reason why what i'm trying to do shouldn't work.

the thing is my texture layer should show through after i use the subtract mode but it isn't and the subtraction wasn't what i was asking about

i am actually trying to ask rather i am duplicating the path correctly b/c i've been thinking that is where the problem is

You seem to be trying to follow some turorial and are having a problem subtracting something from a shape. There are many way to do the same ting in Photoshop.  You seemed fine with the turorial creating the background with a floor effect you then created a shape layer of a camera and then wanted to renove a rectangle from it.

If you post your image as a PSD file of your background and camera I will try see how your trying to do it.  I do not have a custom shape defined for a Camera. 

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 8, 2012 10:17 PM   in reply to Kar209

Thank you kar for sharing wonderful post.

|
    Mark as:
  • JJMack
    6,049 posts
    Jan 9, 2006
    Oct 9, 2012 5:12 AM   in reply to Kar209

Its the wording its english I failed every english course I ever had to take even though its my native language.

Step 9: Metal Parts

Duplicate camera path. Click Layer > New Fill Layer > Solid Color. Select color #9ebec5. Add a rectangular path on middle of the path. Modify its bottom side to turn it into a curve. Set its mode to Subtract. Add a rectangular path and set its mode to Add to Shape. See picture below to see the shape that you need to make.

Click Layer > New Fill Layer > Solid Color done when there is a current work path will create a shape layer.  Which has a vector layer mask that is visible in the path palette when the shape layer is the active target layer. The shape layer path will be a duplicate of what the work path was when you used Layer > New Fill Layer > Solid Color and chose a color. Note the path palette in the screen captures. Layer's the have layer mask and vector layer mask mask will only be shown in the Channels and Paths paletts when the layer is the current target.

duppath.jpg

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 22, 2012 2:53 AM   in reply to Kar209

Kar you always create different tutorial I like you. I have a one problem Kar the problem is that clipping path when I use pen tool but mouse the mouse don't controlling my hand they going there own way. I do not know what you had or understand me.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (1)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points