Skip navigation
Allyson90
Currently Being Moderated

Bring back color icons in Dreamweaver (Was:Uninstall latest update?)

Aug 29, 2013 9:41 AM

Tags: #creative_cloud #dreamweaver_update #uninstall_update

I'm brand new to Dreamweaver and using it for a school class, and I really hate the latest update- among other things, I miss my color icons, I was surprised what a huge difference having them makes.

I am using Creative Cloud (CS6) and am hoping somebody could walk me throug the process of uninstalling this update?

If it helps, I'm running Windows 7 on a 64bit system.

Thanks,

Lauren

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Oct 3, 2012 8:56 PM   in reply to Allyson90

I had the same concern. My process was to uninstall Dreamweaver CS6 from the Control Panel (Start> Control Panel> Uninstall a program) Then I downloaded CS6 from Adobe’s website: http://www.adobe.com/cfusion/tdrc/index.cfm?product=dreamweaver and reinstalled it.

Once the downloaded version is installed, you’ll have your icons back.

You can have both – DW CS6 Cloud version and color icons, but it requires customizing your version of Dreamweaver, which you and others here may not be comfortable with:

Color-Icons.jpg

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 3, 2012 11:07 PM   in reply to Allyson90

As I was recently reminded, Dreamweaver is highly extensible. Adobe has some info on this: http://help.adobe.com/en_US/dreamweaver/cs/extend/index.html (I assume it will be updated for CS6 at some point)

The icons for the menus are located here for Win7 64bit: C:\Program Files (x86)\Adobe\Adobe Dreamweaver CS6\configuration\Objects (Default location. Your install path may vary)

The Common folder (inside of Objects) for example, contains most of the Common Insert icon PNGs, with the exception of the Video and Div PNGs, which are located in Media and Layout, respectively.

Before upgrading back to the Cloud version, I copied the “Objects” folder (with the color icons) to a backup location on my computer. Once Dreamweaver was upgraded to version 12.1, I replaced the new gray icons with the color backups. There are several folders of icons to go through.

Color-Icons-Back.jpg

As for the new icons that do not have color counterparts, I used Photoshop - still a work in progress.

This may be a temporary solution to a permanent problem however (as far as future updates are concerned), unless Adobe, or someone, is willing to package these icons up into an extension. I’m definitely looking into this myself, because I prefer choice.

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 6, 2012 9:45 PM   in reply to Allyson90

Color icons at least show up when I hover over them, but I suspect there's something I'm missing because the default view is still gray...

Can't be sure, but this may have something to do with your workspace. If I switch to Designer for example, I get gray icons that hover their original color. You could try Classic, and then rearrange things the way you like, and save it as your own workspace:

Workspace.jpg

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 6, 2012 11:18 PM   in reply to Allyson90

Great! Brilliant on the Restore Point icons BTW.

The Dreamweaver Team Blog has released an FAQ on their reasoning for making these and other changes:

http://blogs.adobe.com/dreamweaver/2012/10/dreamweaver-creative-cloud- update-12-1-faqs.html

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 28, 2013 8:43 PM   in reply to Allyson90

Agreed. Just goes to show how true OldVersion's slogan, "Because newer isn't always better," actually is.   

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 28, 2013 11:39 PM   in reply to JeffSwearingen

Hi All,

The recent changes to the icons are all intended to serve you better by being HIDPI compatible and easier on the eyes and more importantly provide a streamlined workflow across all Adobe products

Trust me once you get used to these new icons, you are going to like them than ever before

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 29, 2013 12:37 AM   in reply to vharis

Trust me once you get used to these new icons, you are going to like them than ever before

No, I'm not. The flat grey icons make it much harder to find the elements I'm looking for. On Apple's Mountain Lion I installed a program to restore color icons in Finder but when I user Pathfinder, a Finder clone with more features, unfortunately it retains the grey colors so I find them exceedingly difficult to read.

Don't tell me what I like and how to work because you have no idea. Would it really be that difficult to restore the user option where color can be restored if desired? I didn't think so... If things keep going this way I'm going to downgrade back to CS 5.5 Master Collection or just give up on Adobe entirely. Thanks.

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 17, 2013 8:29 AM   in reply to Allyson90

Colored Icons in File panel

Colored icons in the Files panel have been reinstated. Please look for more info at: http://helpx.adobe.com/dreamweaver/using/whats-new-dreamweaver-13-2.ht ml

This is fixed with 13.2 update & is made live now. Please install & provide feedback.

Thanks,

Shambu

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points