Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Manually installing  PDF Printer

Oct 4, 2012 7:15 AM

Tags: #pdf #adobe #9 #printer

Hi,

My name is Justin and i work for Desktop support for a company. Im currently having a issue with installing  a PDF printer, we install Adobe Writer 9 Pro through the network using advertised programs on Win XP. Whenever i install the application it does not seem to automatically install a PDF printer on my pritner list. When i attempt to manually add it i get through all the steps sucessfully, however upon clicking finish, it then opens a directory box which wants me to point it somewhere, when i click cancel it then says something about inserting disk. Where i work discs are dissallowed, can anyone tell me where it wants me to point it or any potential workaround that i would not have to specify a path? My assumption is that it wants something from system 32 or adobe's program files but it does not specify.

Thanks

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Oct 4, 2012 1:29 PM   in reply to zwie0005

Please note that the Adobe PDF Printer functionality to create PDF files  is only available with Adobe Acrobat (paid version), and not with Adobe Reader (free version).

Solution 1

Repair the Acrobat installation using the option in the Help menu.

Solution 2

Uninstall and then re-install Acrobat on your Windows OS.

Solution 3

Manually install the PDF Printer

• Click Start >  Control Panel > Devices and Printers
    • Select Add a printer
    • Select Add a local printer
    • Check Use an existing port and select Documents\*.pdf (Adobe PDF) from the drop down.  Click Next
    • Click the Have Disk… button
    • Click the Browse… button
    • Navigate to C:\Program Files (x86)\Adobe\Acrobat 10.0\Acrobat\Xtras\AdobePDF
    • Select AdobePDF.inf from the list, then click the OK button
    • You will see many Adobe PDF Converters in the list, however count six down from the top and click Next (you may need to try this numerous times to find the correct Converter from the list that works with your version of Windows)
    • Name your printer, e.g. Adobe PDF
    • Follow the rest of the prompts and your PDF printer should now be installed correctly

If you are later prompted for the ADPDF9.PPD file, it can be found in the C:\Program Files\Adobe\Acrobat 10.0\Acrobat\Xtras\AdobePDF\<OS version> folders.

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 26, 2012 6:48 AM   in reply to Rave

Thank you very much for that, Rave -- especially the manual install procedure. Very helpful.

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 7, 2013 3:07 PM   in reply to Rave

Hi Rave ~~

I also am having problems with my PDF Printer. It worked fine for years, then a few months ago it disappeared from the printer list and now I can't print to PDF. I tried your Solution 3, Mannually Install PDF Printer, as described above but my file structure for Acrobat 6.0 doesn't look like what you described for Acrobat 10.0.

In Step 4, after checking 'Use an existing port', there is no 'Documents\*.pdf' to select from the drop down.

In Step 7, there is no path on my c drive called C:\Program Files\Adobe\Acrobat 6.0\Acrobat\Xtras

I searched my entire harddrive and backup drive for a file named, AdobePDF.inf. There isn't one on there.

Can you send me the installation procedure that will work with Acrobat 6.0? I would be so grateful. I am unable to use Solution 1 or 2 as my source disk is packed in one of a garage full of boxes.

I am using a Dell XPS running Windows XP SP3. I usually use FireFox 17.0.1 browser, but occasionally use IE 8.0.6001.

All updates are current.

|
    Mark as:
  • TdeV1
    91 posts
    Nov 25, 2005
    Currently Being Moderated
    Aug 14, 2013 7:38 AM   in reply to Rave

How does this change for Version 11?

Note: I don't particularly want Adobe *.pdf to end up in

\Desktop or

\Documents

so can I just type in a directory of my own choosing?

Thanks.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points