Skip navigation
Michael_Wayne
Currently Being Moderated

In an older computer should I install an older version of Premiere Pro for DV editing?

Oct 4, 2012 9:37 AM

Hi all.  I will try to make sense out of my question.  I have a Pentium D, 3.60GHz 4gig ram windows 7 64bit computer.   Installed I have Premiere Pro CS5.  It seems to be working fine for DV editing since I do basic stuff (couple of filters, etc.). I get no drop frames and playback from the time line is decent.  But I see that on the different versions of Premiere Pro, each higher version asks for higher system requirements, so I would like to know If I install on that same system lets say, Premiere CS4 or CS3, will it run faster since the system requirements are lower, or it doesn't matter since I will be doing the same thing that is editing DV material.   Are the extra system requirements for example in CS6 mainly for the new high definition codecs that are supported, extra effects etc?  If I install in the future CS6 will I have  then lower performance that I have today for editing DV?  Thank you all in advanced for your insights on this.

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Oct 4, 2012 9:42 AM   in reply to Michael_Wayne

Older versions are not likely to run any faster.  If anything, speed and satiability will get worse as you go back to older versions.

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 4, 2012 2:37 PM   in reply to Jim Simon

I agree.

CS5 and CS6 may run a little faster because it can take advantage of 64bit instructions. The DCT transform of DV is an example of such code that would benefit from 64 vs 32 bit instructions.

eg: x264pro got 50% faster when it went from 32 to 64bit.

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 4, 2012 5:31 PM   in reply to Michael_Wayne

I'd like to see a comparison with say CS2. I tend think that your current software might run marginally faster. I warn you against going to CS6, as it seems to have higher computing overhead thus far, and there has been some issue with DV editors connecting to dv devices. I don't see where it could help your dv workflow very much.

But Dude.....,Pentium D, 3.60GHz?  You could build a new PC funded solely by the electricity that you would save over 18 months. Combine that with savings from not upgrading to CS6 and join us all here in modern computing land. Editing HD natively (It will happen for you) without rendering previews, exporting to DVD and mp4 in minutes instead of hours. It is so worth it. Is this your work's or your church's system where its just not your choice to upgrade? Here at work we were finally able to upgrade to CS5 capable systems 2 years ago, and HD material had already become a big workflow issue with us, even though we were primarily working with DV. I also had to upgrade my home system to take on any freelance editing. You can rock with any modern i5 or i7 quad core, 12gb memory, and a gtx card. You could also get and AMD 6 or 8 core and maybe save a little $ there.

I just wouldn't ever consider upgrading the software before that rig.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points