Skip navigation
etechship2
Currently Being Moderated

Dreamweaver keyboard defaults to Files windows when re focusing on screen, must click on Main window

Oct 4, 2012 3:56 PM

Tags: #files #switch #keyboard #default #coding

It is a minor deal, but after coding for an afternoon, I'm getting rather fed up with it. It never used to do this.

I am using the latest Mac OS X (10.8.2) on my Macbook Pro (w/ Retina) along with Adobe Dreamweaver 12.1 (I have checked for updates and have installed all of those as well).

To create my issue:

1) Remove all windows from your "layout" save your main window (which is switched to code) and the Files window, which I have positioned on my right.

2) Open a remote file, edit it, and save it (I have it set in my Site Manager to upload on save)

3) Go to your web browser of choice (mine is Google Chrome).

4) Switch back to Dreamweaver (I use Alt-Tab)

5) Start Typing.

Your keyboard will default to the files window, and you need to click in the coding window before you can start coding again.

Let me know if you would like any more details. Like I said, it doesn't seem like a big deal, but I use this every day, and yeah ...

Thanks in advance! You guys are awesome.

Replies
  • Sudarshan Thiagarajan
    4,000 posts
    Oct 15, 2010
    Currently Being Moderated
    Oct 5, 2012 5:00 AM   in reply to etechship2

The keyboard focus lies with the 'last used' section within the application unless you explicitly change it back to a different area of the app.

In your case, 2nd point:

2) Open a remote file, edit it, and save it (I have it set in my Site Manager to upload on save)

The 3rd step, you're going away from the DW app into Chrome. Meaning the last action performed in DW is the 'File upload' which reflects in 'Files' panel.

Hence, when you come back to DW (step 4), and when you start typing (step 5), the focus lies by default in the 'Files' panel.

|
    Mark as:
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Oct 26, 2012 9:48 AM   in reply to etechship2

The same thing is happening to me!  This began after the latest update.  It did NOT used to do this and is incredibly frustrating and makes it very inconveinent to code.

Mine does the same thing even when I don't switch out of dreamweaver.  I save a lot as I'm coding and have it upload to the server on save.  So I am frequently hitting command-s to save, it puts the file, and i keep on coding.  If the first thing I press is "delete" then it deletes a whatever file happens to be selected in the file browser.

Adobe - please make this go back to how it was before the latest update!  I am using the latest version of DW CS6

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 26, 2012 9:56 AM   in reply to etechship2

In reference to my message above, please see the attached video.

First I type some code, then hit command-s.

It puts the file like it's suppossed to.

After that, I press "delete" as if i were deleting some of the code i just typed.  Notice, my cursor is still showing up in the code editor window.  Rather than deleting text in the code editor window, it tries to delete a file.

I have to click back into the code window after EVERY save-and-put to continue coding.

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 26, 2012 11:46 AM   in reply to oscarbrown4

It's impossible to tell from your video whether you have the Application Frame turned on. I believe there are focus problems with the Mac version if the Application Frame is turned off.

I suggest that you file a bug report through the form at http://adobe.ly/DWBug.

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 26, 2012 2:44 PM   in reply to etechship2

Yes the application frame is turned on.  Thanks for the link, I will file a bug report.

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 22, 2013 10:06 AM   in reply to oscarbrown4

I'm having the same issue.  Regardless of the window I'm in (document or file), when I switch to another application, then switch back to DW the focus is ALWAYS on the Files window.  Very frustrating.

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 22, 2013 10:25 PM   in reply to etechship2

Hi etechship2,

This issue is seen in 12.1 of Dreamweaver and we have fixed this in the recent update of Dreamweaver 12.2. Please update to the lastest version of Dreamweaver from Creative Cloud.

Regards,

Janaki L

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points