Skip navigation
Brian Waldsmith 18 posts
Jun 27, 2011
Currently Being Moderated

Illustrator Save-As behavior - CheckOutHandler not called

Oct 5, 2012 11:56 AM

Tags: #adobedrive

We are trying to support the following scenario for Illustrator users to update files in our system using our Adobe drive connector:

1) Create a new local AI file or open an existing local AI file (e.g., saved on the desktop)

2) Make some edits to the AI file

3) Connect to our system using Adobe Drive

4) Use AI File -> Save As menu, browse to a remote folder, and select an existing file to update.

We have 3 test environments: A Windows XP machine with AD3 and CS5; a Win 7 machine with AD3 and CS5, and a Win 7 machine with AD4 and CS6.  

On the WinXP machine, when I select the remote file and click "Save", our connector's CheckOutHandler is called, the file is saved, the check-in dialog appears, and a new version is checked in

On the Win7 machines, when I select the file and click "Save", I see an immediate error message saying "This file is set to read-only.  Try again with a different file name".  Our CheckOutHandler is never called.  To be able to Save over a remote file, I have to go to Explorer and use the right-click menu to check it out manually.

Is this the expected behavior on windows 7?  The WinXP behavior is a much better user experience.

Thanks,

Brian

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Oct 25, 2012 3:10 PM   in reply to Brian Waldsmith

This appears to be related to OS behavior.

The same behavior occurs with a local file:

1. Create a file and save it to the desktop then close the file.

2. Change the file property to "Read-Only".

3. Create a new local file and replace the "Read-Only" file via File -> Save As menu (from AI for example).

On Win 7, the following error message appears: "This file is set to read-only. Try again with a different file name". The "Save As" dialog still shows up until a different file name is chosen.

On Win XP, the following error message appears: "File XXX already exists. Do you want to replace it?" After clicking "OK", the "Save As" dialog can be closed.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points