Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Use keywords in Adobe Bridge

Oct 5, 2012 2:00 PM

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Oct 5, 2012 2:00 PM   in reply to Community Help

For a nice step by step guide to Importing keywords, see this blog post by Jennifer Brown:

http://jenniferbrowndesigns.blogspot.com/2011/06/importing-library-in- bridge.html

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 28, 2012 6:02 AM   in reply to Community Help

I am using Adobe Bridge CS 5.0.1.on a MacBook Air, and I am wondering why adding keywords does reduce the size of image files? Is there a reduction of quality happening?

Thanks for any help!

Gudrun

|
    Mark as:
  • Omke Oudeman
    4,001 posts
    Nov 27, 2004
    Nov 28, 2012 6:55 AM   in reply to wieverdammt

Is there a reduction of quality happening?

Can you provide an example of the figures, what file type are you using and how much reduction in size are you experiencing?

Normally adding keywords to a file saves it in the metadata of this file (or in case of Raw in the separate XMP file) however the difference for keywords should be more in bits or a very view KB, not more and especially not reducing the amount of pixels.

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 4, 2012 4:36 AM   in reply to Omke Oudeman

Hi Omke,

thanks for your fast answer. I am adding  keywords to jpeg files and my husband told me, that the files with keywords are smaller in size than his old backups. But I can't reproduce the reduction now. When I add three keywords, the file is 5 kb bigger, I think, thats normal, isn't? I just want to be sure, that adding the keywords does not reduce the quality of our pictures.

Greetings

Gudrun

|
    Mark as:
  • Omke Oudeman
    4,001 posts
    Nov 27, 2004
    Dec 4, 2012 6:01 AM   in reply to wieverdammt

When I add three keywords, the file is 5 kb bigger, I think, thats normal, isn't?

Hi Gudrun,

This sounds indeed normal, if this are also the figures (a few kb) that your husband suspects as less instead of more for his old back up this might be caused by writing from one disk to an other disk, that also can cause a bit difference in size.

But if the files are really different he should compare the pixel amount of both files and make also sure the files are not resaved or resized during time between the old back up and the newer files. Resaving in lower quality and reducing size is something Bridge can only achieve using the tools menu for PhotoShop (batch or image processor) or the export module. Keywords panel only can add or delete metadata (keywords, info etc) in the fields that have a pencil so you can alter it.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points