Skip navigation
SteveWinslow
Currently Being Moderated

Photoshop Elements 11 Install on Mac

Oct 6, 2012 3:02 PM

Tags: #install #photoshop_elements_11 #mac_os_x_10.8.2

I can not install Photoshop Elements 11. The install keeps quitting with errors on my iMac running 10.8.2 after repeated downloads directly from Adobe web site.

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Oct 6, 2012 3:57 PM   in reply to SteveWinslow

Are you checking for bits of the failed installations and removing them before trying again? If you have antivirus or use any kind of online syncing service, disable those before running the installer. Also you might try creating a new admin user account and logging in there to run the installation.

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 8, 2012 1:24 AM   in reply to SteveWinslow

Hey,

Prior to installing PSE you need to remove all traces of PSE (if any) existing on your system. Please download the tool and follow instrunctions from page:

http://www.adobe.com/support/contact/cscleanertool.html

Once done, please try to install PSE from admin account. Please let me know if the problem still persists.

~Andromeda

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 10, 2012 1:54 PM   in reply to SteveWinslow

Can we know what the errors are??

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 10, 2012 2:41 PM   in reply to SteveWinslow

Firstly, on you Mac, go to Applications folder, and delete, if any, folder/file present for PSE 11.

Then please restart your machine.

It's looking as if permission issue. But just give this a try once.

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 10, 2012 2:49 PM   in reply to SteveWinslow

Also, go into the main fonts folder and look for AdobeMingStd-light.otf and see if it's an empty folder. If so, delete it.

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 10, 2012 3:25 PM   in reply to SteveWinslow

Glad you got it sorted out.

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 28, 2012 1:38 PM   in reply to Barbara B.

I'm having the same problem on my Mac running OS 10.8.2.   I've looked and can't find this "main fonts folder".  Any hints to help me find it? 

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 28, 2012 3:26 PM   in reply to Comstar 11

It's not hidden, but it's not so easy to find in 10.7 and 10.8. You want the library file at the top level of your hard drive. The easiest way to find it is to go to the Finder preferences>sidebar> and turn on this checkbox:

FinderScreenSnapz001.jpg

Then the next time you open a finder window you will see your hard drive in the list on the left. Click it, then go to the Library file that appears on the right side of the window (easiest to do this in list view), and find the Fonts folder in there.

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 29, 2012 11:20 AM   in reply to Barbara B.

I hope I'm not coming across as the "village idiot" here.  I did as you instructed, and then was able to view the contents of my hard drive.  I went to the first Library folder I found.  Opened the Fonts sub-folder.  The font AdobeMing........... is not listed and neither are any other fonts with file names starting with Adobe.  Further down the menu I found the System Folder (probably the one you're referencing).  Opened the Library folder, opened the Fonts sub-folder and had the same results.  Nothing starting with Adobe or ending with Ming.......  The previous suggestions stated to check and see if the AdobeMing... folder is empty and if so delete the folder.  While looking through those two Fonts folders I found no additional sub folders.  Just individual font titles.  Is that just a terminology issue for me or should there be actual sub-folders under the Fonts folder?

Any other suggestions?

Other information (not too much I hope):  I've got plenty of space on my HD and 4GB of ram.  The first error message I get is "Installer failed to initialize.  Please download Adobe Support Advisor to detect the problem.  I've done that, ran the program and get a "Inspector cound not identify any issues.  Please contact Apple Support for other assistance" message.  There are no other PSE 11 folders on the HD so it's never gotten to the point where it's even started to install the program. 

I do have PSE 9 installed but what I understand I can have both installed.  The main reason I was upgrading was that I wanted the capability to make slide shows and maybe start playing with video a bit so I purchased the PSE/Adobe Premiere Elements 11 package.  I would hate to have to remove the PSE 9 program since I've got quite a bit of work done there in preparation of making some slide shows and such.  But if I have to to get PSE 11 to work I will although (not complaining here) I can't believe Adobe would do that on purpose.

Thanks for the help so far.  Hopefully you can point me in a direction that will help me get this installed.

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 29, 2012 11:39 AM   in reply to Comstar 11

I found the System Folder (probably the one you're referencing).

No! Never, ever, ever mess with the system folder. It's not for you at all, only for the operating system's use.

The whole point of this is not to look for a specific font name, but to look for empty font folders. Having adobe in the name or not makes no difference.

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 29, 2012 11:56 AM   in reply to Barbara B.

Ok.  That folder will never be opened again. 

I just looked through the first Fonts folder under Library.  And there are a bunch of them.  The only sub folders under that are DYMO (probably from my labelwriter) and Microsoft.  They both have fonts in them.  There is one more titled Fonts Disabled that has one font listed in it.  So no empty font folders.

Thanks again for the quick response and the warning about the System Folder which I will "forget" exists.

So do you think having PSE 9 installed is an issue or I shouldn't be concerned about that?

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 29, 2012 12:00 PM   in reply to Comstar 11

No, having PSE 9 installed should not be an issue.

By empty folders, I meant to look at the individual font folders, not the large group folders. (Disabled doesn't matter--you can ignore everything in that one.) It might be simpler just to get out Font Book and validate all your fonts and resolve any duplicates.

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 29, 2012 12:20 PM   in reply to Barbara B.

I'm greatly appreciating all the help you're giving me here.  But I'd best walk away from this for a few hours since I don't have a clue to what "validate all your fonts and resolve any duplicates" actually means.  I realize when I "click" on one of the individual font titles it takes me to Font Book (not sure what that's about either) it takes me to another list of fonts and shows an example of the style.  When looking at the list of fonts and not opening the two group folders I have the "size" on each of them seems to indicate that none are empty.  I'm sorry if I'm coming across as a computer idiot.  Although compared to you I probably am.  I've used Macs for about five years and I've never had anything like this happen with any program I've installed.  I'll work on this in a couple of hours since its getting to the point if I continue right now the installation disk might end up with more than one hole in it.  Thanks again for your patience and suggestions.  I'll try to figure out what "validate and resolve any duplicates" means in a little while.

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 29, 2012 12:33 PM   in reply to Comstar 11

Font book is the font manage built into OS X. Go to the applications folder and launch it. Click on All Fonts at the upper left, then click once in the list of fonts and press Command+A to select them all.

Now go to the menu at the upper left of the screen and go to File>Validate Fonts. Post back what the results are.

Screen Shot 2012-11-29 at 3.30.36 PM.png

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 29, 2012 4:25 PM   in reply to Barbara B.

Thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you.  I am so saving that note.  Now let's see if I can do a screen capture (there's a first time for everything).  Wow, it worked.  Gee I am trainable.  I haven't done anything with those files listed as having "minor problems". 

Screen Shot 2012-11-29 at 4.22.03 PM.png

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 29, 2012 4:44 PM   in reply to Comstar 11

Okay, the next thing is to fix the problems. Go down to the bottom of the page and click where it says 42 minor problems. Then scroll through the list in the window. Most of them are probably going to just be duplicates. Ignore those for now, but put a checkmark next to the ones that say something else, like this:

Screen Shot 2012-11-29 at 7.41.55 PM.png

Then click Remove Checked. Next we'll get the dupes, but do this part first.

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 29, 2012 4:53 PM   in reply to Barbara B.

OK got that done.  There were only 2 that listed issues other than duplicates.  Removed those.

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 29, 2012 5:04 PM   in reply to Comstar 11

Okay, close that window. Now go to back to the main fonts book window and select all the fonts again, just the way you did before, then go to Edit>Look for Enabled Duplicates. If it tells you there aren't any, you're done. If you get a list, you want to choose Resolve Duplicates. (nb, if it matters, when you resolve duplicates this way you can't pick which version stays, so if that's important, you'll need to that manually).

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 29, 2012 5:20 PM   in reply to Barbara B.

OK I did that.  It told me I had duplicate files and I "told" it to resolve the problems automatically since there are no fonts that I just can't live without.  I originally had 42 with minor problems.  Along the way I deleted the two that had problems other than being a duplicate.  After my last step where I told it to resolve duplicates automatically I ran the Font Validiation jujust for the heck of it and it tells me that I still have 40 with minor problems. 

But when I run the "look for enabled" I get this which appears to tell me I've resolved that problem.  So I guess I'm good at this point.  I'll be off line for a while.  Hopefully we can "talk" more later this evening or tomorrow.  I can't say this too much.  Thank You.

Screen Shot 2012-11-29 at 5.11.55 PM.png

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 29, 2012 5:36 PM   in reply to Comstar 11

Yes, you're good. For some reason, in recent versions of OS X, font book will always give you a warning when there are two copies of a font present anywhere on the computer, even it has already moved one to the disabled fonts folder. The behavior you just described is annoying, but perfectly normal.

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 29, 2012 6:25 PM   in reply to Barbara B.

OK, I'm going to try to load the program again now.  I'll let you know how things go.

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 29, 2012 6:47 PM   in reply to Barbara B.

Inserted disk.  Got this as before.

Screen Shot 2012-11-29 at 6.32.00 PM.png

Clicked on Adobe PSE 11, got this.

Screen Shot 2012-11-29 at 6.33.10 PM.png

Clicked on the red "Install" got this.

Screen Shot 2012-11-29 at 6.37.27 PM.png

I thought "Woo Hoo" I'd never gotten this far.  Clicked on the big red "A box".  Then got the too familiar....

Screen Shot 2012-11-29 at 6.38.04 PM.png

Sadly I'm getting very, very close to giving up.  Any other ideas.  And I was saving this question for when we finally succeeded but I've got to ask now.  If it had been a matter of a bad font do you have any idea of why that would cause the install program to crash?  That part of this totally baffles me.  But then I know just enough to be dangerous in some of these situations.  Thanks again and hopefully you have some other ideas of what's going on.  I hope, I hope, I hope.  That's it for the night for me.  I've had as much "fun" with this today as I can put up with.  Thanks and have a great evening.

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 29, 2012 6:52 PM   in reply to Comstar 11

A bad font wouldn't have caused it to fail to start entirely, which is what happened here. It would have crashed later in the process. You've tried installing from a new admin user account? And if you use any kind of antivirus software, you've disabled it?

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 29, 2012 6:58 PM   in reply to Barbara B.

Yes my antivirus is disabled.  But I don't know how to set up a new admin user account.  Any instructions will be appreciated.  Sorry, I got lazy there for a second.  Let me go to the help menu and figure out the "new" admin user account.  That's a good learning process, then I'll let you know what happens. 

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 29, 2012 7:13 PM   in reply to Comstar 11

Okay, no problem to explain how if Help doesn't cut it for you.

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 29, 2012 8:23 PM   in reply to Barbara B.

WOOO HOOO.  And there was great rejoicing.  I just guess there was an "evil spirit" in my System Administrator.  I should have called a priest.  Not a complaint in any way but I wish we had gone down this road first.  But, you roll the dice and take your chances.  Everything seems to be going well now.  I set  up the new administrator.  Loaded PSE 11 through it without a hitch.  I've got myself set back to automatically log in under the old System Administrator.  I was worried during the installation if the programs would "show" under the original log-in but there they were.  Everything seems to be loading a bit slow right now.  But I'm sure that's because I've asked a lot from my iMac today.  So I'm going to do a total shut down tonight instead of the normal sleep.  Then I'll see how things are in the morning.  Again I can't thank you enough for walking me through this.  Like I said I've been doing this for a while but with Mac I'm so used to programs loading and everything operating so smoothly when something doesn't work "right" it's like hitting the wall.  I was a lot better in troubleshooting in DOS but back then a person had to be or he/she was doomed.  Thanks, thanks, thanks.  I'll send you a note tomorrow sometime after the computer "rests" overnight and I see how things are working.  Have a great evening wherever you are.

Do you know if it will be possible to send slide shows from PSE 9 to Premiere 11 to burn DVDs for slide shows or will I have to import the photos into PSE 11, recreate the slide shows and then send them to Premiere to burn them to DVD.  I never had Premire version 9, that's the biggest reason I upgraded.  Well I've taxed you enough for the day.  I'm going offline now.  "Talk" to you tomorrow.

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 30, 2012 12:44 AM   in reply to Comstar 11

Hi Comstar 11,

On MAC 'Slideshow' functionality is not supported by any version of PSE (latest being PSE11). So couldn't get your problem exactly?

Do you have slideshows (in PSE9) on Win and now you want to burn them using PRE11 on MAC/Win?

~Andromeda

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 30, 2012 6:55 AM   in reply to Comstar 11

For the slowness, if you have both PRE and PSE installed, the auto analyzer is busy analyzing your photos  and videos to assign smart tags to them. If you go to organizer preferences>media analysis and shut it down, that should speed things up.

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 30, 2012 8:31 AM   in reply to Andromeda14

Actually what I did was scan a bunch (about 2500) of my wife's parents family photos.  They were just in envelopes in a small dresser.  I'm trying to do this so they will be able to view them on their living room TV and not have to go through boxes of photos which they would probably never do.  I have them in PSE 9 and I've gotten them broken down into about "albums" i.e. grandkids, vacations, family portraits etc.  My plan is to burn them to a DVD or probably more than one and have them "broken down" into chapters/segments or whatever the term is in PSE.  I know how to do that in iPhoto via iDvd and I'm hoping there is a similar function in PSE 11 via Premiere Elements 11.  I found out too late that exporting photo function in PSE 9 is sadly lacking so I'm trying to avoid a lot of re-sorting if I had to import all those photos (I have them on DVDs unsorted) into iPhoto and seperate them into different "events".  Hopefully that makes a little more sense.

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 30, 2012 8:37 AM   in reply to Barbara B.

I'm not sure what the issue was.  Everything was running just sllllllllooooooowwwwww. I didn't have either of the PRE or PSE programs running.  The computer was just loading everything much slower than usual i.e. e-mail, web pages etc.  After I allowed it to "rest" overnight totally shut down, it fired up this morning quickly and everything seems to be running normally.  I probably won't get to "play" with the new Elements program until next week.  So as of now I seem good to go.  Again I can't thank you enough for helping me through this process.  I never, never would have been able to stumble through it myself and I surely never would have thought about setting up another user account would have made any difference.  But who knows?  Again thanks for all the help.  I may "drop" you a line when I get into using the new programs more just to check in.  Have a great Christmas season.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 19, 2013 2:18 AM   in reply to SteveWinslow

I tried all the other solutions on the forum before, but none off them worked.

(problems with 'fonts', added an new admin account,...)

My solution was to sent to trash the Adobe folder in /Library/application support/

that did the trick !

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (1)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points