Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Photoshop elements 11 toolbar does not fit on my screen

Oct 7, 2012 12:25 AM

I'm trying to use Photoshop elements 11 on my notebook computer, but the toolbar is too big to fit on the screen, and some of the icons are not accessible.  Is there any way to reduce the size or shape of the toolbar, or to scroll to the icons I can't see using the keyboard so I can still access them.  My computer is already set to the highest screen resolution.  Thanks for your help.

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Oct 7, 2012 12:31 AM   in reply to Helenjane29m

The minimum resolution supported by PSE11 is 1024*768 . So if you are above that resolution that your toolbar should fit in screen. If this is not the case then try choosing "Windows Menu>Reset Panels" Even if this does not fixes the problem then please tell us your screen resolution value and  the screenshot of the app.

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 7, 2012 5:14 AM   in reply to Helenjane29m

In PSE11 the toolbar cannot be made floating. So I guess there is nothing that can be done as the minimum resolution supportable is 1024*768.. I see that the color button is not visible. The only workaround is to access color button from the   tool option bar of shape tool and type tool.

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 7, 2012 9:52 AM   in reply to 27Prac

I'm having the same problem, but on a laptop. PSE11 has been really badly laid out by the designers: I suspect they've been designing on their own large screens where there is plenty of screen area and completely forgotten the "portable" side of the market. IMO the toolbar on the left, dialogue box at the bottom and menu bars take up far too much real estate. I have a 15.6" widescreen laptop and the window for the image is unacceptably small. The "Quick/ Guided/ Expert" bar is ridulously large, and annoyingly mostly unpopulated which renders it pretty pointless!

So as much as I want PSE11, I won't be buying it. Sorry Adobe, but dumbing down this software and poor screen layout has lost you a sale (and PS is too expensive, so I won't be buying that either). I liked PSE10. I downloaded a copy a week before PSE11 came out. Unfortunately I missed out on being able to buy PSE10 as it was too late by the time I decided to buy it.

Oh well, let's see what happens with PSE12- that's out in about a year's time isn't it?

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 7, 2012 10:36 AM   in reply to hatstead

Thanks, didn't think of trying there!

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 7, 2012 10:43 AM   in reply to AFreeman1980

You're welcome.

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 19, 2012 10:57 AM   in reply to Helenjane29m

I too am annoyed with this.  I just got done with my Elements 10 trial (which I had made sure that the screen resolution would fit as i also have a netbook and had tried to download CS6 but realized it wouldn't fit on my screen..so went to Elements 10 since it fit).  When I bought Elements 11 as 10 was not available when my trial was over I didn't think to make sure it would still fit my screen since Elements 10 had fit, I guess that is my fault for not checking again, but who would think that the developers would take that away, or take away the option of moving toolbars.  Just received Elements 11 yesterday and am disapointed that I payed for the product and can't completely use it the way it was intended, would have gone the Amazon route and bought Elements 10 had I known .

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 19, 2012 11:01 AM   in reply to 27Prac

In mine I cannot see past the Crop and Recompose tools.  What are the 2 below that?  I assume there are 3 buttons I am missing then?  Those 2 and the color tool?  Is there a workaround to get to those other 2?

|
    Mark as:
  • 99jon
    12,821 posts
    Jan 6, 2010
    Currently Being Moderated
    Oct 19, 2012 11:32 AM   in reply to kristen713456

You are missing the last two tools and the background/foreground color icons.

ToolsPSE11ShortDisplay.png

Press Q for the cookie cutter.

Press P for the straighten tool.

For color click the menu Window >> Color Swatches

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 4, 2013 5:44 AM   in reply to kristen713456

The workaround worth trying would be to use the keyboard shortcuts.

This is a link to the shortcuts:

http://www.dummies.com/how-to/content/selecting-tools-with-handy-keybo ard-shortcuts-in-p.html

This way you can bring those missing tools up.

Also to give you more space try this:

On a Mac the 'tab' button clear the menus on the left and right. Press the 'tab' key again to restore it.

Turn 'auto tools show option' off.

Press F5 key every time you want the tool bar to appear and disappear.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points