Skip navigation
Sandra 37203
Currently Being Moderated

Submit Form button doesn't work in interactive form opened in Reader created in InDesign6

Oct 8, 2012 3:09 PM

Tags: #pdf #export #indesign_cs6

One of the features I was really looking forward to  in CS6 was creating fillable forms with ONE application. I created a form following the step by step instructions in classroom in  a book for CS6.  When I opened the exported form in Reader X, I get a "This operation is not permitted" error. I opened the completed "end" document in the lesson to make sure  I didn't commit an error, and I got the same message when exporting. I have looked for places in menus to modify security restrictions and I can't find any. I installed the updates and that didn't solve the issue.

I saw one solution posted which is to open the document in Acrobat, then do a "save as" option.   Is there anything we can do that doesn't involve buying additional software? If this is not the case, then Adobe seriously needs to change its training and advertising about this functionality.

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Oct 8, 2012 7:30 PM   in reply to Sandra 37203

That is a limitation of the InDesign export of forms. To Reader-enable the forms, they need to be saved as Reader-enabled in Acrobat Pro.

If I'm remembering correctly, the newly announced (but not yet available) Adobe Reader 11 may be able to do what you want. (But not earlier versions of Reader.)

|
    Mark as:
    May 6, 2013 7:47 AM   in reply to Sandra 37203

I am having this exact problem. I bought CS6 partly because of the forms capabilities, and to be told I have to buy a second product to make them actually work is extremely frustrating. Shame on you, Adobe.

|
    Mark as:
    May 6, 2013 8:06 AM   in reply to Calcitrix

Almost everyone these days doesn't just buy InDesign, they buy the Creative Suite or a Creative Cloud subscription which includes Acrobat Pro.

PDF forms have ALWAYS been created in Acrobat. It's only with InDesign CS6 that some parts of the process are done there. It's a version 1 implementation. Version 1 of a product feature never includes everything you need. It also requires workarounds and tricks. This is something you learn which you've worked with computer software for a while.

|
    Mark as:
    May 6, 2013 8:18 AM   in reply to Steve Werner

Sure, but InDesign advertises the heck out of their new forms functionality. We've been using Adobe products to create brochures and ads for 10 years, and bought a second license specifically because of the way forms were advertised as what they could accomplish--including the button features. If they had added, "But you can only create buttons that don't actually work" we might have bought a package. But that wasn't obvious at all going in. So: frustrating.

|
    Mark as:
    May 7, 2013 11:43 AM   in reply to Calcitrix

While I'm at it, here's a quote from Adobe's website, describing the Forms functions in InDesign CS6:

Using InDesign you can create simple forms within InDesign, without needing to touch up the PDF document in Acrobat after publishing. You can add simple form elements within the document pages. Common field types such as text fields, radio buttons, check boxes, or signatures are supported. You can also add actions to submit the form by email or to print it.

No...no, I can't.

|
    Mark as:
    May 7, 2013 12:27 PM   in reply to Calcitrix

Oh, those marketing people don't know what they're talking about. Just ask someone who actually uses the tools. You can blame Adobe's Marketing department for that nonsense!

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 5, 2013 12:02 PM   in reply to Steve Werner

If we have to throw up our hands and expect to perform "tricks" and "workarounds" just because it's a new version, then something's clearly wrong. This seems to be a primary function that doesn't work as advertised. And if Adobe wants us to turnaround and buy Acrobat (which I did not realize was not included in the Web Design package that was ordered), that's called bait and switch.

That said, if anyone has learned any tricks of workarounds, can you pass them along please?

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 26, 2014 10:03 AM   in reply to teamccloud

I just downloaded InDesign 6 CC JUST for the "Submit Form" button capability. I created the form— super easy— and tested everything in Pro and Preview. Everything worked, including the print and submit buttons. When I put it online, where it belongs, the Submit button no longer works. I noticed that this Forum thread is an old one, but can I assume that Adobe still hasn't made this functional? What's the deal?

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 26, 2014 10:14 AM   in reply to 10is4me

@10is4me – you said "When I put it online".

That's the point. Or at least it seams to me.

It would work, if the browser would support it.

Adobe Reader supports it. (Adobe Reader for iOS I cannot say.)

Acrobat Pro supports it.

Your browser (or better: it's PDF viewing functionality, that is not made by Adobe) apparently does not.

And that's not the fault of Adobe.

Uwe

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 26, 2014 10:23 AM   in reply to Laubender

So, there is no workaround to make this wonderful feature actually

functional?

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 26, 2014 12:24 PM   in reply to 10is4me

Yes, the workaround is to user Reader or Acrobat.

PDF readers are all over the map as to what form and interactive features that they support.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points