Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Searching Prelude Metadata in Pr

Oct 9, 2012 12:15 PM

I've been playing with Prelude on a new project, looking to add more metadata for when the time comes to edit. 

I've been adding comments to clips (as suggested in the adobe video tutorials!) and those comments are apearing in the clips in Pr as expected..... but I can't find any way to search for them.  How can I search the clip metadata added by Prelude in Pr?  

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Oct 9, 2012 3:11 PM   in reply to ExactImage

Prelude has been a super addition to the workflow, but Premiere now lags behind it in the metadata utilization arena.

I was surprised that Premiere has such a simple and unrefined search - especially now that Prelude is sending over tons of data attached to the media.  As far as I know, you can't do searches based on the data in the comments.

I envision a workflow someday where we are able to add a ton of metadata to the media - such as the ability to add multiple tags, comments, ratings, flags and labels etc in Lightroom/Aperture for still images - and Premiere would be able to create smart folders, boolean searches and stacking in order to have super fast access with detailed organization of the media at our fingertips.

For now, Prelude is doing a lot of talking, but Premiere can't hear it.

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 10, 2012 7:21 AM   in reply to ExactImage

I'm not at my CS6 machine right now, but in CS5.5, as long as the Comments column is displayed in the Project panel, a search will pick up the content of the Comments field.  NB: the Comments column is not displayed in the Project panel by default.

Jeff

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 10, 2012 7:33 AM   in reply to ExactImage

I've been adding comments to clips (as suggested in the adobe video tutorials!) and those comments are apearing in the clips in Pr as expected

alas the comments added to clips (key: 2) in Prelude don't appear to make it to the comment fields in Premiere Pro

<Jeff tilts head to one side and makes a Scooby-Doo sound>

OK, I can't reconcile those 2 statements.  Maybe more Scooby Snacks will help.

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 10, 2012 7:46 AM   in reply to ExactImage

Thanks for that.  I'll check it out when i get home.  Meantime, it sounds like a good feature request.

Jeff

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 10, 2012 8:21 AM   in reply to ExactImage

There are the 2 different kinds of "comments."  The one with a field that can show up in the bins - as you said added in the metadata tab or directly in Premiere - and the one that ExactImage is talking about....the one that is super-awesome and one of the highlights of Prelude.  But, alas, unsearchable in Premiere. 

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 10, 2012 12:19 PM   in reply to needles27

There is a fundamental difference in the designed function of clip markers and metadata.  Clip markers are designed to denote clip events (where something should happen, like a cut or the addition of an effect), while metadata is designed to carry clip information (like comments, descriptions, date/time, etc.).

Still, being able to search the project bins in Pr for marker text would be a handy feature.  It should include searching text in sequence markers as well.

Jeff

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 10, 2012 9:14 PM   in reply to Jeff Bellune

You guys are correct that Premiere Pro CS6 does not have the ability to search for markers. Please do file a feature request if you have not already, it really helps our teams prioritize feature work. http://adobe.com/go/wish

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 20, 2012 4:37 PM   in reply to Wes Plate

Hi Wes,

Just want to clarify that you can not, in Premiere, search for metadata that was written in Prelude. Because it seems like the software is directly advertised to do so. Here is a quote from the Prelude product page on the Adobe website (http://www.adobe.com/products/prelude/workflow.html):

Metadata added to footage in Prelude makes it easier to find the footage whenever you need it. Finding footage you need later in the post-production process is fast, because you can use near-instant metadata searches rather than depending on slow and tedious manual scrubbing. And because the metadata entered in Prelude exists for the lifetime of the footage, you can easily search for footage at any time in the future, thereby increasing the lifetime value of any footage that is tagged and saved.

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 20, 2012 4:39 PM   in reply to Blair_Switchback

you can not, in Premiere, search for metadata that was written in Prelude.

Wes didn't say that.  He said you can't search markers in PP.  Markers and metadata are not the same thing.

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 20, 2012 4:49 PM   in reply to Jim Simon

I understand that Markers and Metadata are not the same thing, but my question was in regards to being able to search through Metadata created by Prelude. It says on the Adobe site I referenced above that you can use near-instant metadata searches (metadata created by Prelude) to find footage in Premiere Pro. But from this forum it sounds like you can't, I've tested it myself and had no such luck. Just wanted some clarification that maybe it is a mistake in the writing on the Adobe page or perhaps I'm not doing it correctly. Unforunatley I have yet to find a tutorial on this process.

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 20, 2012 4:58 PM   in reply to Blair_Switchback

Exact was confusing Marker comments and metadata.  Metadata works just as described.

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 20, 2012 5:12 PM   in reply to Jim Simon

The only way I can search for any type of metadata in Premiere Pro is if I click on an individual clip in the media browser/source area and then search for a specific keyword. Perhaps this is what is meant by searching for footage but that doesn't make a lot of sense to me. I thought it meant you could search through many different files or entire folders for certain metadata. I think this is what Exact was hoping for in his original post.

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 20, 2012 5:46 PM   in reply to Blair_Switchback

Metadata search works from the Project panel just as advertised.

What Exact wanted was to search for the marker comments made in Prelude, which you can't do.

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 21, 2012 10:47 AM   in reply to Jim Simon

Sorry Jim, I understand what you mean now. You can search through the clips you've already imported into Premiere through the Project panel. I was trying to search through the metadata search field. While this is very helpful when you've already brought in the desired clips you want to use, I was hoping there would be a way to search through large directories/entire drives for certain keywords either in the file name or in the metadata. I would see this as a huge benefit if you were looking for particular B-Roll in your entire library of footage without having to import it all into Premiere. I know you can do something similar in Bridge but Bridge doesn't seem to work too well with video footage for that, especially raw .MTS files used for AVCHD.

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 21, 2012 11:40 AM   in reply to Blair_Switchback

Bridge CS6 works fine with AVCHD, and is indeed the better tool for the job you're asking about.

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 26, 2012 9:54 AM   in reply to Jim Simon

Hi Jim,

You says it works fine. Maybe I need to be a bit more specific. Essentially I am having the same problem as this guy:

http://forums.adobe.com/message/4443007

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 26, 2012 10:10 AM   in reply to Blair_Switchback

OK, so maybe use Prelude instead.

Any way you slice it, the folder structure of tapeless media is a PITA to deal with, especially when it comes to external file management.

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 3, 2013 2:44 PM   in reply to Jim Simon

Just sent in a feature request to have clip marker comments added in Prelude searchable in Premiere Pro CS6 for a faster workflow.  One workaround I did find is having Prelude open simultaneously while working in Premiere Pro.  Prelude HAS the ability to easily seach for comment markers. Then I just take note of what the clip name is and find it in Premiere Pro.  Not very elegant, but it defintley sped things up a bit for me after I spent so much time adding comment markers like "interesting shot...etc" in Prelude only to find out they're not searchable in Premiere! Go figure!!

**actually, what's fast too is to click, copy the name of the clip in Prelude and past that clip name into the search bar in Premiere! Now we're cooking with gas!.....(really cheesy I know. lol)

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 27, 2013 11:31 AM   in reply to ExactImage

After finding out (painfully) all my logged/commented footage in Prelude is not searchable in Premiere Pro CS6, I created a workaround to fix this.

You can download an executable called ExifTool

Place the ExifTool.exe in the same directory as your footage.

Create a new text file in the same directory and enter this code:

exiftool "-LogComment<TracksMarkersComment" -ext xmp .\

save the file as "batch_markers.bat"

Double click the "batch_markers" file and it will pull all the marker comments created in Adobe Prelude and move them into the "Log Comments" section of the Dynamic Media Metadata. If you have multiple markers/comments it will separate the data with a comma.

In Premiere turn on the Project -> Metadata Display -> Dynamic Media - Log Comment

Now all your data is searchable in Premiere.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 7, 2013 6:39 PM   in reply to Visions-Online

Is this method possible on a mac?

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 7, 2013 6:59 PM   in reply to PixelshotWDC2

There is a mac version of exiftool. The process may be slightly different, but I think it would work.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points