Skip navigation
ianm2k4
Currently Being Moderated

Problem editing in Expert Mode

Oct 9, 2012 1:27 PM

Hi

I have a problem. If I add two videos (they are both the same source but I dont think that matters) into the timeline. I can easily trim them using Quick Mode. If I select Expert mode though when I trim them the timeline 'corrupts'. I say corrupts but what happens is that the timeline seems to zoom in but the outline of the trimmed video is visible, no video is though because that part is overlayed by the zoomed in track names. See the attached picture to show this.

PE11Problem.png

What have I done wrong?

This is on a Retina Mac Mountain Lion 10.8.2.

Thanks

Ian

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Oct 9, 2012 1:35 PM   in reply to ianm2k4

I'm editing on Mountain Lion too and have never seen that.

What model of camcorder is your video coming from and what format and resolution is it?

If you look at the Project Settings under the Edit menu, what settings does it show?

BTW, you do have at least 4 gig of RAM, right?

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 9, 2012 3:30 PM   in reply to ianm2k4

What is the CODEC insdie the MOV container? Some Import and edit great, but some do not.

A few, such as the FCPx "Intermediate CODEC" require the installation of FCP on that machine. A few are also Mac-only, but that should not be an issue in your case, as you are on a Mac.

Good luck,

Hunt

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 10, 2012 5:26 AM   in reply to Bill Hunt

I agree with Bill. An MOV that's just "lying around" might be using any of hundreds of codecs, not all of which are going to perform well in Premiere Elements.

Try opening the file with the free download MediaInfo and see what it has to say about the codec, frame rate and resolution.

Premiere Elementst 11 works great with camcorder, camera and even iPad/iPod and smartphone video. Can you start a new project and use one of those as your source and see if you get the same results?

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 10, 2012 7:16 AM   in reply to Bill Hunt

MediaInfo, as Steve recommends, is a great, free utility for gathering the information about almost any AV file: http://mediainfo.sourceforge.net/en

Many users like it better, than the other, free, popular file info utility, G-Spot: www.headbands.com'gspot.

If you will let us know what MediaInfo says about your file(s), someone will probably be able to help you Import and edit it.

Good luck,

Hunt

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 10, 2012 2:00 PM   in reply to ianm2k4

As long as your OSX updates are all installed, you've done all you can do, ianm. That's the good news and the bads news about Macs.

Mountain Lion is a fairly fresh operating system and it's possible it hasn't got all the bugs worked out yet. And then same could said of the 64-bit version of Premiere Elements Mac.

Unfortunately that means that we just need to wait for the powers that be to work this out. Sorry I can't be of more help. As I said, it's not an issue I'm seeing -- and I've not got nearly the hardware you do.

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 10, 2012 2:21 PM   in reply to ianm2k4

Ian, what are you clicking on that's making the program zoom in? You're not using the timeline zoom controls. They don't change.

You're really just clicking your mouse and it's zooming in?

Are you using a mighty mouse or a non-Apple mouse? I can't for the life of my duplicate what you're seeing, but I tend not to use the mighty mouse. Maybe I should give it a try.

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 10, 2012 2:24 PM   in reply to Steve Grisetti

Nope. I've tried every possible click and key combination and I can't duplicate that. Weird!

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 10, 2012 2:31 PM   in reply to Steve Grisetti

One thought: You haven't got any features set up in the Accessibility options in the System Preferences on your Mac, do you? Some of the Zoom settings could be triggered by a mouse click.

Open your System Preferences to Zoom and see if anything besides Smooth Images is checked.

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 10, 2012 2:37 PM   in reply to ianm2k4

Sorry, Ian. Doing my darndest, but I just can get it to do that.

I'm sure you've restarted. I don't know what else to suggest. Sorry.

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 10, 2012 2:53 PM   in reply to ianm2k4

I do notice that you've got a lot of stuff running in the background (as indicated by the icons along the top of your screen). Is it possible one of them is causing a conflict?

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 11, 2012 5:10 AM   in reply to ianm2k4

Thanks for reporting back, Ian. When you find out the details and how to fix it, please let us know for future reference.

Is retina a feature that can be turned on and off? I just thought it was a higher resolution monitor.

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 11, 2012 8:50 AM   in reply to Steve Grisetti

Not sure if the Retina can be turned ON/OFF, but Adobe Photoshop has been having some issues with the Mac Retina displays, and the Adobe engineers are pointing to Mac drivers for that display. Several problems cited on the Photoshop>General Discussions Forum.

Good luck,

Hunt

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 11, 2012 9:04 AM   in reply to Bill Hunt

The endless loop.

Every time Apple upgrades, Adobe blames them for breaking things.

Every time Adobe upgrades, Apple blames them for the problems.

Don't they realize how much they need each other?

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 11, 2012 9:23 AM   in reply to Steve Grisetti

Yes, there often does seem to be an adversarial relationship there.

Of course, I see things from the PC perspective, so miss a lot. However, I recall many versions of Apple's QT Player for the PC, that broke things for many Adobe programs. That is why I never update/upgrade my QT Player, until lots of reports come from the field, that a certain version plays nice with Adobe programs, about 80% of what's on my computers.

Then, Apple declared war on Flash, and that battle is still on-going, though it appears that Apple won, and even Adobe is by-passing Flash for some things.

Now, I wonder if the Retina display works perfectly with iPhoto, iMovie and FCPx. I would guess that it does. However, when I see several threads on Retina not working well with Photoshop, I wonder what is happening with the code. Chris Cox, one of the Sr. Engineers with PS, has been working with Apple, to get things sorted out, but I have not read any report from him, regarding Retina yet.

Good luck to all,

Hunt

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 11, 2012 11:49 AM   in reply to ianm2k4

Thank you for that info.

As PrE 10, PS & PrPro CS 6 came out before the release of the Retina Display, I can imagine that there would be issues, until driver updates, etc.. However, PrE 11 is contemporary with the Retina Display, but wonder how much assistance Adobe got from Apple on that?

Hope that either Apple, or Adobe can get things sorted out, and in a hurry, as the Retina Displays seem very sweet and popular.

Good luck to everyone,

Hunt

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 16, 2012 5:26 AM   in reply to ianm2k4

Please follow the instructions mentioned in this page and let us know if it solves the expert view timeline display problems on your machines.

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 18, 2012 6:57 AM   in reply to ianm2k4

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 23, 2013 10:59 AM   in reply to ianm2k4

Hi--does anyone know if the handlertimeline zip file solution listed in this thread should work on Premiere Elements 10 also?  I've tried it a couple of times and my PE10 just refuses to open and it gives me a long error message.  I've also done a complete uninstall and reinstall etc. 

If the answer is "no, this solution in this thread doesn't work with 10", is there an alternate solution (other than upgrading to 11!)?

Many thanks,

Matt

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 23, 2013 12:58 PM   in reply to mnwtucker

Matt,

Only a guess here, but the "Expert Mode" was not added until PrE 11. Before that, the View Modes were "Timeline," or "Sceneline." Similar to PrE 11's View Modes, but different.

Good luck,

Hunt

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 24, 2013 1:55 PM   in reply to Bill Hunt

Thanks Hunt. I appreciate the difference, but my problem still remains.  What's amazing is that I've spent quite a bit of time searching the web on my issue for Prem elements 10, and can't find any references to it.

Surely I can't be the only user of elements 10, with a retina display who is experiencing this issue annoying zoom issue.

I've also tried adjusting the display res with no success.

Guess I'll have to keep searching, and saving for the pro version.

Thanks,

Matt

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 24, 2013 2:16 PM   in reply to mnwtucker

Unfortunately, The Mac Retina displays, and their drivers, have caused a lot of problems with Adobe programs, and not just the Premiere family, but also Photoshop.

According to Chris Cox, Sr. Engineer for Photoshop, Apple is working with Adobe to get things fixed.

Hunt

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 25, 2013 3:37 AM   in reply to Bill Hunt

Thanks Hunt.  I wasn't aware of that.  Appriciate the info.

I'll sit tight for a while then.

Matt

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points