Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

I am now mastering all PrP exports to OP1a AVC-I 100

Oct 9, 2012 2:56 PM

I am now mastering all PrP projects to OP1a AVC-I 100. 2X as fast as DNxHD/Prores. Very clean imagery. I use VLC for full screen playback which is stunning .Bye bye QuickTime!

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Oct 9, 2012 3:09 PM   in reply to lasvideo

lasvideo,

Could you please help me w/ your mastering choice:

1.  I use almost solely AVCHD files.  does your  method rendor those files out nicely.

2. Why are you in favor of this master as opposed to what many folks are doing with DNxHD

3. Can you give me the steps to render out a test clip to see how it looks.

Thanks

Mike

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 9, 2012 3:44 PM   in reply to lasvideo

Thank you.

In my export settings under format my choice is mxf op1a.....I assume that is the choice.

Then, however, in both preset and under the video tab there is no choice for AVC-I 100....Is that something I would need to download?

I understand the rest.

thanks again,

Mike

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 9, 2012 4:09 PM   in reply to lasvideo

Lasvideo,

No problem, I understand I don't want to bother you, I have been looking for it where I thought it was and where you suggested but I do not have it as an option in CS5.5....I will look on the internet to see if I can get it on CS5.5

Thanks for your time.

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 9, 2012 4:21 PM   in reply to lasvideo

Hmm so you can get MXF-OP1A AVC-I to play correctly in VLC? I still can't get it to not freak out. I might have to troubleshoot this... My audio always goes nuts for some reason. I've reproduced the issue on several different windows 7 systems.

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 9, 2012 4:30 PM   in reply to lasvideo

Bye bye QuickTime!

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 9, 2012 4:54 PM   in reply to lasvideo

Are you using it as the editing mode too or just using it as a Master/DI format?

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 9, 2012 7:37 PM   in reply to lasvideo

To phrase another way. "are you using mxf op1a avc-i as your preview format?"

I'm assuming that from your above post you don't customize the sequence preset and change it from the default. Thus you never have smart rendering during export.

I ask because im wondering if it is an acceptably fast preview format and whether the exporter is smart render capable (ie copy instead of retranscode each already preview rendered frame).

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 10, 2012 11:35 AM   in reply to lasvideo

I agree. The only time that OP1a as a preview format makes sense is if you have an effect that is uber slow and you don't want to render that frame again (thus the value of previews) AND the exporter supports Smart Render AND the damage of encode and decode from MPEG-I Preview files is unacceptable.

'doesn't sound like that's a combo that is in your day-to-day.

e

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 7, 2012 8:22 PM   in reply to lasvideo

No sadly I never did.  Although the frame rate thing sounds like a place to start looking since you're now having issues with it. I never tried anything other than 29.97 since almost everything I do is 29.97FPS. When I get into work on Monday I will attempt doing 23.976 and see if that plays back correctly. I did however reproduce the same issue on several machines (with 29.97 though), but I never did find a fix for it. If you ever find a fix/solution please let me know because I'd love to begin using this format for mastering purposes. It offers truly wonderful compression that doesn't degrade picture quality/compression ratio.

At least now (Maybe) this is a place to start eliminating things one by one. Since now we (might) know it has something to do with the frame rate of the content.

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 7, 2012 10:26 PM   in reply to lasvideo

we did some tests with MXF OP1a AVC-I-100 encoding and Quicktime H264, which are in fact both AVC formats. With more than 100 Mbit of datarate the MXF format is excellent and comparable to industry standard formats like ProRes etc.

But using Quicktime AVC with PCM audio and setting the quality to 100% with a bitrate up to 100 Mbit the result is the same plus the rendering in AME is faster, since the MXF encoder seems to use only 1 virtual CPU, whereas the Quicktime AVC encoder uses about 80% of the total CPU capacity.

The only thing we noticed is an error in AME CS6, you cannot disable the bitrate setting level. If you do that, it will be switched on again while rendering or if you re-open the setting.

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 8, 2012 12:42 PM   in reply to lasvideo

Here's what I'm seeing on my system.

1080p/24 MXF files play just fine in VLC, and work just fine as Masters for further conversion.

1080i/30 MXF files play video at the correct speed, but audio is garbled at a higher speed.  However, they still work fine as Masters for further conversion, and play just fine inside of PP.  So it seems it's only a VLC problem with playback, not a genuine problem with the file itself.

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 8, 2012 3:29 PM   in reply to lasvideo

PP also plays them back fine, and that gives you the full-screen Cinema mode.

I just don't do anything at 30i anymore, now that my camera does 24p (and does it very well).

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 9, 2012 9:56 AM   in reply to lasvideo

Yes it is.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers