• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Loud Static Screams in Headphones in Premiere after Clip Edited in Audition

New Here ,
Oct 10, 2012 Oct 10, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It hasn't happened in a while, but it has before. I will send a clip from Premiere Pro CS6 to be edited in Audition CS6 and when I go back to premiere to play the clip I get super loud static in my head phones and it really hurts my ears.  Not really the safest thing and most definitely a bug.  Just plain not cool.  It really scares the crap out of me.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Oct 10, 2012 Oct 10, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I do not recall reading of this issue before, but what editing are you doing in Audition?

Is the whole edited Clip producing this noise, or just parts of it?

Good luck,

Hunt

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 12, 2012 Oct 12, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am doing basic noise reduction since we have noise machines in the building.  They create a quiet, but noticeable white noise so you don't hear conversations from across the room in other cubicles.  They aren't noticable to the human ear after a while, but the shotgun mics pic it up pretty well. Any ways.....  I am doing basic noise reduction and sometimes amplification if the source is a bit too quiet.  So what happens is I dynamic link the clip from premiere to audition, do my edits, and then when I got to play it back in premiere the loud static shrieks through my headphones.  It has happened probably 10 times since I have been using cs6(last June).  Technical aspects are all 24bit wav files.  They are stereo recordings with voice audio recorded on the left channel via a Sony XA10.  I do have the audio channels in Premiere set to Mono, but I don't see how that should create the loud distortion like that and the fact that it doesn't happen every time makes me feel like there is some kind of bug going on.  When it does happen I will play the clip to test it out in premiere and it then shrieks at 0db or clips and my immediate reaction is to hit space bar to stop it. I mean you can't blame me. lol.  I am only editing in stereo and mono.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Oct 12, 2012 Oct 12, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Two things.

In the future, turn off the noise before shooting.

Second, try cleaning up the original WAV file in Audition before cutting.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 15, 2012 Oct 15, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

First thing,

I have no control over the white noise in the rooms. It is an automated system for each entire floor that is controlled by security due to the information that is shared across all floors both in meetings and on the phone with consumers. So I cannot do the first thing.

Second thing,

What is the point of dynamic linking if I cannot create sub clips from the orignal clip and only edit the portions I need, especially when interviews are over 30 minutes.  Seems a bit unnecessary. 3 minutes of audio to edit vs 30 minutes is quite the difference.

I'm just trying to understand why it would freak out and blow out my ears every once in a while.  I love adobe, but this kind of scares me.  I would much rather not lose my hearing.  Like I said, it doesn't happen all the time, just once in a while.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I cannot do the first thing.

Well, then explain the problem the noise causes and find another shooting location, one you have more control over.

Audio is fast to process and takes up very little space compared to video.  There's nothing wrong with processing the entire file before you edit.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It is a corporate environment and the only rooms I can use all have these white noise machines installed.  They are not even noticable to the human  ear once you are in the building for 30 minutes. When recording an interview you can hear it through the headphones when listened at -10db, so I apply the noise reduction to help with that. The noise is not noticeable once noise reduction is used and it is only slightly used.  It's not alot, I just like to get rid of it for clarity in the videos. Some rooms are better than others, but due to scheduling and room availability, I sometimes cannot pick and choose.  The room selection does not explain the cause of the screeching noise that premiere has given me into my headphones.  You seem to be trying to get me to not even use audition or dynamic linking, which defeats the purpose of why I even use your software.  The issue is not the quality of audio, due to the conditions I work in, I need dnyamic linking, premiere, and audition to work for me.  Even if I were to edit the entire clip at once,  I fear the same problem would happen because I would be doing the exact same process to the audio to just one giant clip instead of a few small clips.  I know its less chance of it happening again, but it doesn't make any promises.

I came to the forum to get an answer about the software issue.  I appreciate the questions about my environment, but it does not explain why the creative sweet would be a risk to my hearing.  I would just like to be able to edit safely and efficiently.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You seem to be trying to get me to not even use audition or dynamic linking, which defeats the purpose of why I even use your software.

On the contrary, I am trying to help you get the job done, by whatever means necessary.  You seem to be stuck on one specific method of getting the job done.  I can't explain why that method doesn't work, but it doesn't.  So...time to find another method.  (And quite frankly, my suggestion is actually the better method in this case.  It's faster and less cumbersome.)

And while I do own a license to use the software, same as you, I'd hardly consider it "mine".

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

One thing I don't understand is if I put the entire clip on the timeline and dynamic link it to audition, I will not have access to subclips that I may want to access or bring back later. Your process seems to elimate the subclip process.  I understand I can cut it on the timeline, but I need to utilize the subclip process for easy access to specific sections of a 30minute clip.

The only other way you are suggesting is bringing the video clips into audition before bring them into premiere which completely gets rid of the dynamic linking process.  If that is true, then we are just removing the dynamic linking issue by just removing dynamic linking.  It doesn't necessarily assess the dynamic link issue to be fixed so that the tool can actually be utilized.  It is a powerful, efficient, and fast tool that I love to use.

If you don't work for adobe, then how do I let them know about the software issue?  I appreciate your input, but there is still obviously a bug in the software that should really be taken care of.  Hearing loss is a serious issue and there is no reason why the software should not be able to hand editing via dynamic link.  If it only does it for one clip once and while and not the entire sequence.  Files are not corrupt and backed up in multiple locations and servers.

I agree with trying another method, but it does not explain/solve the software issue that seems to happen sporadically.  I really have no control over that no matter what method.  The fact is, when any audio clip, despite the length, is edited via dynamic linking, there is a probability that it will malfunction and cause that high noise in my headphones.  To me that is just something that needs attention from a software standpoint. 

I don't mean to agrue with you, I just want to know why it would do that since my hearing is at risk.  I can understand getting input for a workaround, but there should also be a solution to fix rather than a solution to avoid.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The only other way you are suggesting is bringing the video clips into audition before bring them into premiere which completely gets rid of the dynamic linking process.

Now you're catching on.

how do I let them know about the software issue?

https://www.adobe.com/cfusion/mmform/index.cfm?name=wishform

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Nov 06, 2015 Nov 06, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Completely unrealistic advice.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Oct 11, 2012 Oct 11, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Are you working in 5.1 or stereo? I am having a similar problem when I mix surround and stereo in the same project, often Premiere does not seem to switch between the two and I too get a loud screech static noise.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've had the same as you describe problem once or twice between P-Pro generations 1.5 though CS6. Also in Audition with many mp3s created with garage band. Audition can't open the .mp3, then it recommends that you try to extract raw information from the file, the result is that screech that you describe. I think that it comes down to corrupted or poorly encoded files.

When you make a round trip from premiere to audition, save a copy of your audition work as .wav where ever you are keeping your project's media. It might come in handy.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Stephen,

Interesting about the MP3's. Other than for tiny SFX files, I always convert any MP3 to PCM/WAV first (PrPro can do that with Render/Replace), so have not noticed what you, and others describe, and my ears are very thankful...

Thanks for that mention. and good luck to the OP,

Hunt

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 29, 2014 Oct 29, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Stephen's advice is absolutely correct. I did a roundtrip of audio from Premier to Audition and back to Premier (as I do with every project, nothing changed) and got my ear drums blasted. I saved a copy of my audio file from Audition and imported it into Premier, did a replace clip from bin, and the audio was exactly as it should have been. Very relieve (although my ear drums are still ringing). Odd glitch and I will be sure to remove my headphones and turn the sound down on my computer next time I round-trip audio, just in case.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Oct 29, 2014 Oct 29, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Affinityfordesign,

Can we get more info? FAQ: What information should I provide when asking a question on this forum?

Thanks,

Kevin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 02, 2014 Nov 02, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm having this problem as well. I think it started happening a few weeks ago. Here's info on my system -

Late 2013 Mac Pro 3.5GHz 6 core, 32 GB RAM Dual AMD FirePro D300s

OS 10.9.5

Premiere and Audition are updated to the most recent CC 2014

The video clips are MP4 from a Canon C300 and I think some may be from a Sony EX3

I have a lot of AU and VST plugins as I do a lot of audio engineering in Logic X

I use a PreSonus AudioBox 44VSL for my sound

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 20, 2014 Nov 20, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same problem here.  I have used the roundtrip from Premiere to Audition on a daily basis.  Now today I get the static scream.  No fun!  I will do the replace clip route until this gets resolved.  Too bad we have to waste precious time.   Although it is a better solution than closing Premiere and then reopening it - which also resolves the problem - sometimes.  Other times when it reopens I see the audio on the meters but there is no sound.  So I restart Premiere again and it runs normally.

My system is a 2009 Mac Pro Processor  2 x 2.26 GHz Quad-Core Intel Xeon Memory  38 GB 1066 MHz DDR3 ECC Graphics  NVIDIA GeForce GTX 285 2048 MB running Mountain Lion.  I am using Premiere CC2014 and Audition 2014 and both are up to date.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 07, 2015 Oct 07, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am also having this issue, there needs to be a solution as my ears also ache afterwards, doesn't always happen but normally whilst doing a roundtrip from premier to audition. I am on a Macbook Pro (Retina, 15-inch mid 2014/ 2.5 Ghz Intel Core i7, 16GB 1600Mz DDR3) running Premier Pro 2015 CC and Audition 2014 CC.

Surely its a matter of time before someone gets permanent damage from this issue?? This needs to be prioritised by Adobe.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Dec 14, 2012 Dec 14, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am having the same issue. BTW, I am using a Mac Pro. I right-click on a clip in Premiere Pro CS6, edit in Audition, remove the noise, save and then return to my editing in Premiere Pro. The file appears to be the one I edited in Audition (it is now green, not blue). If there were numbers above 0 in VU meters, it would jump to 100. It is loud (and dangerous) to hearing. Everything said about this process is being followed. What are we supposed to do? Find a work-around for a feature that is integral the application?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It looks like Premire Pro has to conform the audio. This is dangerous to the hearing. Mute the audio and wait for the conform to happen, and then playback the audio--if you do not wait, then unsafe dB levels will be played.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for sharing your experience with the same exact issue as well. Like you said, you have to let it conform a bit. Sometimes it takes longer than others.  I started a habit to hit play with my headphones muted and then turn up the volume once I see it is safe to play just like you have stated as well.  At least we have both found a short term solution for now to save our ears.  I just wish it had a safety or something to prevent that from happening.  Just have to be patient with it. We get so antsy with new technology. haha.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well, that is not entirely true either. Some clips seemed to play okay, but some did not.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,
May 07, 2013 May 07, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Any chance the Dev team can look into this? We've been experiencing the same issue and waiting a few beats after jumping back into Premiere and allowing it to conform the revised audio does avoid the burst of static, as others here have advised thanks. But all it takes is a momentary lapse of concentration or some muscle memory to cause permanent hearing loss - as I can attest. Any way in future versions of Premiere it can just output silence instead of ear drum crippling static when playing unconformed linked audio? Cheers

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 08, 2013 May 08, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have formed the habit of being patient with the conform loading bar, like you said.  Glad I'm still not alone on this, but it should be fixed with a anti-clipping saftey mute or something.  I forget once in a while to wait before playing back in the timeline though.  My ears hate me for that. And my heart. haha.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines