Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

"This project contained a sequence that could not be opened".

Oct 10, 2012 4:40 PM

Hi everybody,

Well I have a big problem here, with my software Adobe Premiere Pro CS6. There is a project very important to me, on which I have been working for two monthes now... I can't open it.

Everything worked fine untill this evening. Now, when I want open it, it loads and there is a message on which is written : "This project contained a sequence that could not be opened. No sequence preview preset file or codec could be associated with this sequence type.".

I have tried the solutions proposed on http://helpx.adobe.com/premiere-pro/kb/missing-sequence-presets.html : I disactivated and reactivated my Premiere Pro CS6, and I "re-created the Adobe Premiere Pro preferences and plug-in cache" (at the least, I pressed alt + shift during the loading screen of Premiere.. I had no sign that anything was done or changed because the software started as usually, but I suppose it's normal).

So, since it seems that there's no further solutions or ideas to resolve the problem, I want, at the least, find a way to recover the huge cutting work on which I
thoroughly strived during the whole last weeks.

According the error message, there is ONE sequence that doesn't work. It means that the great majority of my sequences are clean. How can I recover them in a way I can edit them again on Premiere ?

Thanks.

PS : sorry if there are mistakes in my words, my maternal language is french.

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Oct 10, 2012 4:45 PM   in reply to chachachalala

Try this solution.

Create a new sequence that has same attributes as the old one.

Open the old one and copy the entire timeline.

Go to your  NEW empty sequence and paste .

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 10, 2012 5:02 PM   in reply to chachachalala

What version of Premiere are you using?  6.0 or 6.0.1 or 6.0.2 or 6.0.3?

Also sometimes this problem occurs when you used a customized sequence in the project but this sequence/codec is no longer installed is this possibly the case? For example did you have any capture cards installed that aren't installed anymore? Did you recently re-install your OS or remove codecs or make any system changes?

Also from what I have read another quick work-around for this issue is to open the Premiere Pro Project up inside Notepad ++ and change all instances of the current preview codec from I-Frame Only MPEG to Microsoft AVI. Because some other people have said this solution works in some cases. However I'd only do this as a last resort. This solution will only work though if the problem was being casued by the I frame only mpeg preview codec option though which isn't always the case. So this might not work anyways. I'd honestly recommend just re-installing though if you've already tried to deactivate and you personally already know that you weren't using I frame only mpeg as a preview choice and you also know for a fact you haven't uninstalled any capture cards recently or any codecs. If you do uninstall though, use the adobe cleaner tool when doing so.

http://www.adobe.com/support/contact/cscleanertool.html

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 10, 2012 7:06 PM   in reply to chachachalala

Glad to hear it worked, looks like this problem has been solved!

Sadly though I don't know what caused it, other than something has obviously gotten corrupted. I'd recommend uninstalling and then using then adobe cleaner utility for a perm fix.

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 10, 2012 7:09 PM   in reply to ComputerNovice25

looks like this problem has been solved!

Not really.  His MPEG codecs still aren't properly activated.  That could cause other issues in the future.  The Notepad edit is more of a Band-aid than a solution.

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 10, 2012 7:14 PM   in reply to Jim Simon

Well yes and no, we know what the problem was now so, in that since it's solved. Sadly though like you very correctly stated it's not a perm fix at all. Which is why I recommended a clean install for the perm solution. So the problem has been solved, a solution hasn't fully been provided yet. Only a suggestion on how to get there.

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 10, 2012 7:18 PM   in reply to ComputerNovice25

I suppose it's a matter of semantics, really.  But the problem was unactivated MPEG codecs.  A work around was found, but that problem hasn't really been solved. 

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 10, 2012 7:22 PM   in reply to Jim Simon

You're correct the source hasn't been solved. Only the cause disovered. So I guess I should have technically said "looks like we have solved the cause of this problem". 

(Even though that is not technically fully solved because the cause of how exactly it was corrupted is still unknown)

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 11, 2012 7:02 AM   in reply to chachachalala

Like I mentioned earlier you're going to need to uninstall the suite, then run the cleaner utility. Then reinstall, unless someone else knows how to fix the issue that caused the corruption in the first place. Which I have no clue how it managed to get corrupted, I just know that somehow it did. That's why that problem is solved (meaning knowing what exactly the problem was), since we know it's corrupted, sadly though I still have 0 clue why.   I'd really just recommend the uninstall option. It's by far the fastest solution IMO because you could end up spending hours/days trying to work around a issue that can be fixed by a fresh re-install (most of the time). I've fallen in this trap myself before.  

Just make sure to follow the steps listed from the link I posted in my earlier post.

If you really want  avoid a fresh install though. (Which I'd strongly recommend doing instead of doing what I'm about to say)

You can technically create a customized sequence that is using a different codec for preview, then paste your old sequence into the new sequence then delete your old sequence which was using the I-frame only mpeg for previews, then click save as  and name the project w/e you want then use the project which only contains the good sequence which is using a different/ your newly selected preview codec.

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 23, 2012 1:40 PM   in reply to ComputerNovice25

Hi all,

I've recently run into this issue as well. My client gave me a 2TB external with a mess of PProCS6 projects, and I cannot get a single one of them to work.

System:  Win7/64 Ultimate
    i7-2760QM
    32gigs Ram
    3gig NVidia 560m

First attempt to fix was the notepad workaround. Unfortunately each project file ranges from 300mb to 600mb (rounded, obviously). Not only did the rename process take upwards of 15 minutes to complete on the seemingly massive text docs, but I still received the error.

Next attempt was to completely wipe CS6 off my system, and follow up with Adobe Cleaner. Ran Cleaner 5 times back-to-back, reinstalled Master and still have the issue.

What gives?

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 23, 2012 1:45 PM   in reply to hirethestache

Additional info, I have tried in CS6.0.0 & .0.3, and both on my Macbook Pro & Win machine. Moreover, since uninstalling/reinstalling, I cannot access my deactivate or update buttons in any of my CS apps....

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 23, 2012 3:12 PM   in reply to hirethestache

What preview codec was the project previously listed as using?

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 23, 2012 3:22 PM   in reply to ComputerNovice25

I-Frame on the Mac, but I-frame is gone on my PC. If I could just get I-Frame on the win computer, I would be gold. I have been able to open one of the files on my mac, but the workhorse is my PC--so, Im still stuck in a rut...

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 23, 2012 3:34 PM   in reply to hirethestache

Okay so obviously you've attempted to reinstall and it didn't work. Very strange scenario going on here, usually that fixes the problem. However when you start Premiere Pro up now does it say anything about using a trial version? Because it it sounds like your not activated still. Try disabling your firewall, and see if it activates. Your "deactivate" should stop appearing as greyed out if it works.

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 23, 2012 3:39 PM   in reply to chachachalala

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 23, 2012 4:36 PM   in reply to hirethestache

Also if the firewall option didn't work try the following solutions as well.

http://helpx.adobe.com/premiere-pro/kb/missing-sequence-presets.html

Although it sounds like you already have done at least one of the suggetions from this link so please ignore if you have.

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 31, 2012 11:41 AM   in reply to ComputerNovice25

I had this same issue with a CS5.5 project - I swapped out the I-Frame Only MPEG with Microsoft AVI and everything worked fine after that.  Thanks.

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 7, 2013 7:25 PM   in reply to chachachalala

I had the same problem.  After some trial and error I figured out that it was some .psd files that I had imported as a sequence. 

I created a new premiere project and imported the sequences from the old project that wouldn't open.

Then I used Photoshop to save the graphic as tiff files and reimported them into the project.

I replaced the .psd/sequences with the Tiff files and deleted the .psd/sequences from my project.

This totally solved the problem.

I know it's just a workaround but until this .psd import issue is fixed, it's a perfectly good one.

I hope this helps.

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 30, 2013 11:46 AM   in reply to Kevin Monahan

>>This project contained a sequence that could not be opened.  No sequence preview preset file or codec could be associated with this sequence type.

I deactivated, killed everything with Adobe's name on it and restarted Premiere (which promptly failed to ask me to or provide any options for reactivation - Encore subsequently told me I was not activated - relaunching Premiere showed the 30day message - relaunching the Adobe Application Manager let me activaite.

That allowed me to open ALL the prproj's I was DENIED access to by Adobe's licensinig division..... Slap on the back of the hand for your new flangled licensing devs - I bet you tested the part that collects the money and blocks use of the program right?  Serious killjoy project manager...

And Priemere dev's - you should know better than to trust them when they say you won't need to update anythign for the new licensing  - update the damn eror rmesage: "Oh yea...sorry...I'm gonna go ahead and ask you to reactivate everything"

Reinstall?  What is this ATI?

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 19, 2013 8:55 AM   in reply to chachachalala

Hello everyone and sorry for my bad english.

Ok, this was my problem :

I created my project in Prelude CS6 then worked out in Premier Pro CS6 and then send it to SpeedGrade CS6. After closing everything for a reboot, my main project Premiere couldn't be opened, error message : " This project contained a sequence that could not be opened. No sequence preview preset file or codec could be associated with this sequence type. "

So, after looking on all those forums I decided to reinstall all my CS6 programs with Adobe Creative Suite Cleaner. Somehow, the cleaner doesn't clean everything, 5 of my CS6 programs were still there. And when I tried to reopen my project with the fresh Premier CS6, the same error message shown his face.

This is my solution :

Open a new Premier project and import your "work" project in the new one. When Premier ask you how to import, choose Import selected sequences. This worked for me.

( Any of my CS6 were updated ).

Also, my " old " project had dynamic link with After Effect CS6, maybe all this cocktail made this error.

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 19, 2013 9:09 AM   in reply to Artyms

Dynamic Link doesn't cause the error, not being activated is what causes it.  Sometimes you need to close PP and retry after activation.

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 26, 2013 11:43 PM   in reply to chachachalala

its happen when i open my project from macpro to my macbook pro..

my method is create new project and just import that old sequence (not entire project)

its work to me.

good luck.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 20, 2013 7:40 AM   in reply to ComputerNovice25

Could a Disk Defrag cause this scenario?  I just came on here with the same issue as described at the top of the chain and the ONLY thing I have done between the time my project worked and the time that it didn't (with the aforementioned issue) was perform a Disk Defragmentation.

|
    Mark as:
    May 29, 2013 5:44 AM   in reply to chachachalala

I just encountered this same problem after copying all of my projects to a different external drive. I verified btye counts on every folder when I copied. I just read the FAQ that adobe pointed too. Maybe the error message should be a little more verbose as this is a very unsettling error to see on something you have worked really hard on.

Update. I'm on Creative Cloud and deactivating and reactivating RESOLVED this issue for me

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 13, 2013 11:22 PM   in reply to chachachalala

I ran into this when I swapped my SSD from my dell e6510 i5 laptop into a dell e510 i7 laptop.  THe laptop hardware is identical to each other other than the cpu.  Everything worked except CS6 gave me the same error you are having and then told me that I needed to reactivate which I did and boom I could open my projects again.  Interestingly I could create new projects before reactivation but couldn't open up any old projects.  Well then the i7 laptop was having lock up problems from a hardware issue so I decided to put the SSD back into the i5 laptop and once again ran into the same couldn't open old projects error.  After reading the above replies in cs6 I clicked on help, deactivate, then reactivated and boom I was able to open up my old projects again.  This definately seems like a licensing issue when CS6 sees a change in hardware and in my case the same OS but different CPU / laptop with different hardware IDs and such.  I'm hoping this solution of deactivating and reactivating will stick because I have a lot of editing to do over this week-end.

Hope this helps some people having the same issue - cheers!

BTW - for those of you wondering why I'm editing on this laptop I wouldn't recommend a dell e6510 laptop (has 8GB ram, SSD and an nvidia video card) for editing with cs6 as it tends to be very slow on larger material edits - but it's the best laptop I have right now and I need to edit while traveling in a car and I don't really want to buy a faster laptop just yet as I have an editing desktop with a good video card that is MUCH faster than my laptop.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 14, 2013 6:23 AM   in reply to chachachalala

I had the same problem and I fixed it like this:

• Create a new empty project in Premiere
    • Go to File > Import...
    • Import your broken project using the "import individual sequences" option
    • Once it has detected all sequences, select and import them.
      Although this already seems to work, if you save this new project, you won't be able to open it again later. So the next step is the key to make it work.
    • In your project media window, go to each of your sequences, right click, "sequence settings".
      Don't change any settings, just click ok. Premiere will tell you that the preview files will be deleted.
    • Your project should now be fixed. You should be able to save it and open it again without any problems.

I hope this solves it for you and any other readers too! Good luck!

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 15, 2013 8:28 AM   in reply to CS Mic

this way can save 40% of my work (but it's better than i got nothing at the end)

Besides, this way can help to import all sequences, but the source files of Illustrator and Photoshop were failed. (cannot be selected in the process)

is it possible to recover an entire project ?

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 15, 2013 8:38 AM   in reply to kid.arbu

@kid.arbu

I'm not sure what you mean. In my experience, importing a sequence also imports everything in your project library that is used in that sequence. Probably unused clips and other media will get lost though. In my case that wasn't a problem.
    I used a few Illustrator and Photoshop files in my project too, and the sequences where I used them were imported correctly. All the source files on my harddisk have always been in the same place, I didn't touch them.

So as far as I can tell, I recovered my entire project.

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 8, 2013 3:37 PM   in reply to CS Mic

In my case, with CS 5.5, the problem appeared to be corrupted software.

For no apparent reason, no files would open. All attempts produced the "This project contained..." message.

Then I noticed that creating a new file would not give me the HDV file options. Just the DV options. That was the clue.

Solved the problem by reinstalling the program. Good thing I had install files saved on a disk.

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 4, 2013 1:04 PM   in reply to chachachalala

Adobe helped me with mine at some point and they said it was "sleep." if you sleep your computer it thinks it's not licensed! Lame. lame. lame.

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 16, 2013 9:45 AM   in reply to pwildhirt

I got this problem right now. About a week ago I was able to do system restore and then was able to continue editing. However today the program just quit without warning and lost an hour's work which unfortunately autosave didn't kick in as it is meant to do this every 20 minutes. This is Premiere CC btw. Tried system restore and it failed. Unbelievable....

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 5, 2014 11:22 AM   in reply to srukweza

I just Stepped into this problem, I have Had this Hard Drive Cloned because the previous hard drive was failing. if some one wouldnt mind, can you please explain this Notepad++ Solution? when i open my projects in Notepadd++, all i see is what looks like Compiled language? How does one ungarble it?

Also I show Activated when i sign into Adobe, Where is the Activation Tab in Premiere pro CC?

thanks in Advance

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 1, 2014 12:47 AM   in reply to chachachalala

I had the same problem with Premiere CC opening a very large Project file. The following solution fixed my problem as well:

I simply signed out under Premiere > Help and signed back in. After that I was able to open the project again.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 4, 2014 3:01 AM   in reply to Mathias1971

Why adobe premiere developers don't fix this problem???

Tons of super cool features, effects etc and a simple problem they can’t fix... I don't get it!!!

Is any Premiere developer in this forum???

I almost lost a 1 week of editing (10 projects) because of this problem. All my projects are in an external HD that I use to work from home to office. I finished editing all the videos at HOME and when I took them to the office to show the client, NONE, NONE, NONE of the files could be opened in the office’s Premiere (home/office = CS6 v.6.0.5).
    After researching, tried all the options above, editing the .prproj as xml in Dreamweaver, nocking my head against the keyboard and spending 3 days figuring out what happened to the files and why it couldn’t be opened in another machine AND NOW in my original computer at home some of the files couldn’t open as well…..  arrrgghhh!

Well let’s go to what really matters

My solution:

1- Create a NEW PROJECT and save it in the same folder you have your project with the problem (DO NOT OVERWRITE  your original file, save it with a different name you will need to import it in the end).

NOW here is the TRICK --- >

2- Create a NEW SEQUENCE

2.1- Click on ANY of the presets you like

2.2- Now click on the tab SETTINGS

2.3- In the 1st option = Editing Mode  -- > CHANGE it to --- > CUSTOM (DO NOT USE ANY of the Adobe presets)

2.4- Set the other parameters as you like

2.5- In VIDEO PREVIEW (for PC) I use Microsoft AVI -- > dv24p advanced…  MAC probably use QuickTime.

2.6- ****** CLICK -- > SAVE PRESET -- >  use any name you like.

2.7- SELECT your new custom preset and double click on it.

3- IMPORT the original file using the option -- >  IMPORT SELECT SEQUENCE --> Select ONLY the editing sequence…

3.1- now double click the IMPORT sequence.

3.2- click on the timeline, select all your project (ctrl+a) and copy it (ctrl+c)

3.3- double click the NEW sequence

3.4- the new sequence should be EMPTY (no video/audios). Now paste it (ctrl+v)

3.4- DELETE the old sequence you imported (JUST the old imported sequence, keep all the linked files)

4- Save it

It worked for all my files in Premiere Pro CS6 and I also tried on Premiere Pro CC and all opened perfectly…

I hope it helps you !!

Fabio - washingmachinelab.com

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 15, 2014 6:55 PM   in reply to CENTRALFCP

Thank you!!!

Had this problem going from a mac to a pc, your workaround was great!

My sequence was all there, just the footage was offline.

All I had to do was locate the footage and delete the old sequence, otherwise I would get the same error.

Thanks again!

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (1)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points