• Currently Being Moderated
    Oct 11, 2012 12:27 PM   in reply to Community Help

only 1000 fonts selectable?

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 11, 2012 12:30 PM   in reply to sam behm

Sam,

I am not sure that I understand your question.

Is it that you can only see 1000 fonts, or that you have 1000 fonts, but cannot see them all?

Also, what is your OS and version number of PrElements?

Good luck,

Hunt

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 12, 2012 12:42 AM   in reply to Bill Hunt

Sorry i had some trouble posting to this wall... i had no screen name etc... hence the short post.

Ok, so my OS is Win7 Home Premium 64bit and PrE 11 running. I have about 2000 fonts installed (yes i know it is too many). The problem is i can only select the first 1000 fonts (counted them) in the list of all fonts available. In the list the first 1000 are black and the rest is grey and i can not select them. I am also missing the scrollbar in the fonts list, that would make it easier to find a certain font.

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 12, 2012 1:38 AM   in reply to sam behm

Are you able to see the arrows at the top-left and botton-left corners of the list (It's easy to miss them)? You can scroll up and down the list if you click the arrows and hold down the mouse button:

Font-Scroll_1.png

Let me know if it helps.

regards,

Chiradeep

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 12, 2012 4:19 AM   in reply to Chiradeep Majumdar

Yes i have both scrollbuttons, but i think they are too slow. It takes 5:08 to scroll through the whole list of fonts. It does not solve the problem with fonts i can not select.

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 12, 2012 7:21 AM   in reply to sam behm

We will investigate whether working with so many fonts impacts the responsiveness of the application. Meanwhile, can you let us know if you have a specific usecase that requires you to work with 2000 fonts simultaneously?

- Chiradeep

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 12, 2012 9:21 AM   in reply to Chiradeep Majumdar

Ok, i was not specific enough. I am not using 2000 fonts at the same time. One or two fonts per text window. The problem is the font list; I can select fonts with names beginning with A, B and a few with C. I can not select fonts with names beginning with D, E,... to end of list.

But to confuse you a little more, maybe this will help you find the source of the problem:

1. I create a text title

2. I edit the text

3. I mark the text by "painting" it with the mouse

4. I click on the font name button and the font list pops up

5. I select a font beginning with A,B or C and press enter, the list disappears (as it should)

6. Now if i press the up/down arrow keys on my keyboard i can quite quickly scroll through every one of my fonts and the marked text in the video window changes automatically. The pop-up font list is NOT open during this procedure. This way i can select any one of my 2000 fonts.

So the problem lies in the pop-up font list.

Maybe i should do a video if you did not understand

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 12, 2012 10:03 AM   in reply to sam behm

I know you don't want to hear this -- but you really need to consider some sort of font management system.

Have 2000 fonts available at all times is not only challenging your programs but you're risking making your system pretty unstable -- especially if one or two of those fonts corrupts.

With a font management tool, you can turn fonts off and on as needed but still have all 2000 available when you need one.

http://www.smashingmagazine.com/2008/09/05/25-font-management-tools-re viewed/

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 13, 2012 7:00 AM   in reply to Steve Grisetti

I see we have not got out of the dark ages... fonts crashing our systems... in 2012... LOL

But a font manager sounds like a thing to try out, just downloaded a free manager, Nexus Font.

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 13, 2012 8:35 AM   in reply to sam behm

Although a corrupted font may not bring down your system, I can tell you for a fact that a corrupt font can disable Premiere Elements. So I'm more from the Middle Ages than the Dark, sam.

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 24, 2012 12:37 PM   in reply to sam behm

Sam,

Even today, fonts take resources to manage, and the resource issues normally show up first at the OS level, but then can manifest themselves at the program level, and especially with resource intensive programs, like PrE.

I have about 10K fonts on my laptop, but seldom have more than about 350 installed into the OS at any one time. On my workstation, I have 19K + fonts, but again, only about 350 installed at any one time.

I use Extensis Suitcase to manage my fonts, and have created many Font Sets (often by style, but also by client, or even Project), and can install/uninstall those on the fly, as required.

One rec. for a free font manager (only know about it on the PC, so maybe not available for Mac?), and that is Font Frenzy. Many use it, and every review that I have read have all been positive. Might be worth a look.

Now, in my case, and with a PC, I have, of course, the Windows Font folder (for installed fonts), and then have a C:\Fonts folder, with several sub-folders, like PS Fonts, TT Fonts, OTFonts, etc.. I have all of my other fonts in those, and have Extensis pointed to those. When I need, say my fonts for Keyline Design Studio, I just load my Keyline Font Set, and then have access to all of the fonts that they use. When done, I just uninstall the Keyline Font Set, and I am back to my ~ 350 installed fonts.

Also, I make regular backups of all of my fonts, as most are commercial, so I have plenty of $ invested in them. I just make a DVD-Data of my C:\Fonts folder w/ all of the sub-folders, plus my Windows Fonts folder. That way, should I have an issue, should I go to a new OS, or need to restore my fonts, I just Copy over from my DVD-Data.

Good luck,

Hunt

|
    Mark as:
    May 3, 2013 9:12 PM   in reply to Community Help

I create text above one video clip and text above a second adjacent clip.  The text I put in one shows up in the second and I don't seem to be able to assign separate text for each video clip.  Why does this happen?

|
    Mark as:
    May 12, 2013 7:17 PM   in reply to rubiconcrest

If you are using Titles, then it is most likely that you have Titles that extend beyond the points that you wish them to.

Good luck,

Hunt

|
    Mark as:
    May 27, 2013 11:34 AM   in reply to rubiconcrest

I have noticed the same behavior, my theory is that when you copy paste a title it becomes a dynamic clone. The only way is to create new title and copy preferences by hand, very time consuming.

|
    Mark as:
    May 27, 2013 11:57 AM   in reply to sam behm

Actually, when one creates a New Title, and then uses it in the Timeline, more than one time, what they have are Instances of that same Title - as you point out, clones. Change one, change all Instances of that Title.

The trick is to create one Title, exactly as you wish other Titles to appear (just different text), and Duplicate that as many times as is necessary, editing the Text as you go. All of the Duplicates will have the same attributes and Styles from the first Title, but you can freely edit each Duplicate's text.

This article goes into a bit more detail: http://forums.adobe.com/message/4976998#4976998

Good luck,

Hunt

|
    Mark as:
    May 27, 2013 12:02 PM   in reply to rubiconcrest

rubiconcrest

From what you wrote, this can be a matter unrelated to "you have Titles that extend beyond the points that you wish them to".

All depends on how you are going about assigning text to the second video clip. Are you:

• dragging the already created Title file to above the second video clip and then changing the text in the Titler
    • making a copy of the Title file in Project Media, renaming it, and then dragging that to the Timeline above the second video clip or duplicating the Title file in the Project Media and dragging that to the Timeline above the second video clip

Lots of possibilities. More details needed.

Thanks.

ATR

|
    Mark as:
    May 27, 2013 12:08 PM   in reply to Bill Hunt

Hunt,

I was just going to respond to sam behm on that same this point which I just made to rubiconcrest (for this OP I think that this point is applicable as an alternative to your original explanation for rubiconcrest situation).

ATR

|
    Mark as:
    May 27, 2013 12:35 PM   in reply to sam behm

Thanks.  I figured that out. Ditto time consuming especially if one is adding text per frame as I was doing.

|
    Mark as:
    May 27, 2013 1:41 PM   in reply to rubiconcrest

rubinconcrest

From your reply to sam behm, are you saying that you knew about title duplication before to avoid titles with all the same text but that is not your problem now. Or, the need for title duplication the was the reason for your post back in post #12?

Just wanted to make sure if you are now OK with titles (at least with regard to what the program supports if not the logistics of it) or still in search of an answer for your issue.

Thanks.

ATR

|
    Mark as:
    May 27, 2013 7:31 PM   in reply to A.T. Romano

I discovered a work around even though it is a little tedious.  Thank you for the follow up.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points