Skip navigation
TheBinarySon
Currently Being Moderated

Converting jpgs of documents to black & white pdfs

Oct 11, 2012 1:59 PM

Any help is greatly appreciated!

Long story short - I can provide more details if necessary - I have a collection of jpg files that are pictures of documents - no images - that I had to take to copy them instead of zeroxing them.  I am trying to convert them into pdfs that are:

1.) as black and white as possible so as to make it as close to printing a regular black and white word document as possible (instead of using a lot of printer ink on printing pictures that just happen to be saved in pdf format), and

2.) searchable vis-a-vis OCR.

After a recommendation from a teacher, I purchased Adobe Acrobat a few days ago which I've never used before.  That being said, I can convert them into pdfs, I can make them searchable because I've played around with the OCR and that seems pretty straight forward.

However, no matter how many times I try, no matter how many different preferences/settings/etc. I play around with (as an aside, how the hell do I revert these settings back to default?  I can't remember what they all were beforehand!), I can't get the pdfs to look like anything other than the same jpg image but now saved as a pdf.

I've also been recommended ABBYY FineReader, and I've tried that as well and it seems to do a much better job, unless I'm missing something.

I'd share the documents, but I can't figure out how.

EDIT:  After uploading pdfs to acrobat.com, taking 30 mins to get workspaces to open up, but then not being able to transfer the documents from acrobat.com to workspaces, I finally uploaded them again from my desktop to workspaces - WHY IS THIS SO DIFFICULT?!?!

So my questions basically is this:  How do I get adobe to make files like this:

https://acrobat.com/?d=KJskXucbh2pBBPuZmsL6Hw

look like this:

https://acrobat.com/?d=RrXBupJrVFQBKNT*DdqK5g

This has been a very frustrating day.  Any help is appreciated.

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Oct 14, 2012 3:43 PM   in reply to TheBinarySon

The URL's return document not found.

You've mixed a few common terms that infer meanings;

...pictures of documents - no images - that I had to take to copy them instead of zeroxing them.  I am trying to convert them into pdfs that are:

I cannot infer whether you took a picture of or scanned a paper document. Regardless, you have an image that you want to convert to a Word Document? OCR was the first step. Given that there are no images, Save As MS Word Document (it may be an export; Adobe has moved or renamed the feature with recent releases)

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 15, 2012 2:22 AM   in reply to TheBinarySon

Ok, people tend to use "black and white" to mean "shades of grey". I see now that the picture (photo?) is shades of grey already, but what you are aiming for is a page with all the grey gone, and only black colours on white paper. To avoid confusion, I'll call this "monochrome".

When you scan pages, this is a setting you choose in the scanner. If the page is coming from another source, I don't believe there is any way for you to do this - Acrobat has no such function so far as I know.

You could use other programs to work on your images before going to PDF, and that is probably the best solution. Photoshop can turn to monochrome.

If using a scanner is any kind of option, I'd strongly recommend it. Digital photographs are definitely second best.

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 31, 2012 2:43 PM   in reply to TheBinarySon

Why not just use the Preflight Tool to convert the files using the setting "Digital Printing (B/W)"

It will convert everything to grayscale.

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 31, 2012 4:46 PM   in reply to TheBinarySon

IS the file in the above link the actual file?

Just type it as Word Document and create a PDF.

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 31, 2012 6:17 PM   in reply to TheBinarySon

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 1, 2012 6:34 AM   in reply to TheBinarySon

If you want the intial format where the page is placed on the glass of the Scanner (pages from a Book). I'm afraid that is the best your going to do.

The grey background you see is where there is light leaking in because its nt able to seal light tight. And the distortions in the print is caused by the paper not exactly laying 100% flat.

The only way your going to get a perfect scan is cut the pages out of the book so it can be layed on scanner perfectly flat and the Cover pressed light tight.

There are scanners that look something a three ring Hole punch and when you get ready th scan you pull the paper through.  You might be able to push the paper all the way through then press scann and pull it back through.  That might do a better job.

Anyway books, Magazine will exibit the qualities you mention on a Flat bed scanner.

If your good at using a Graphics editor such as GraphicConverter you might be able to remove the gray background.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points