Skip navigation
William Cotton
Currently Being Moderated

When can we expect spell check in Lightroom?

Oct 11, 2012 6:32 PM

Tags: #metadata

Currently I have to use Word to write captions to be sure I don't make typos and spelling errors. It sure would be nice to have spell check in the Caption/Descrition field and Keywords. PhotoMechanic offers this. I really would prefer to just use Lightroom alone.

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Oct 11, 2012 7:03 PM   in reply to William Cotton

Place a feature request here. Good idea!!

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 12, 2012 4:16 AM   in reply to William Cotton

There may be a plugin which could assist. Dunno if John Beardy's Metadata Search & Replace plugin will do it(?)

Another option is to load xmp into a text editor (or xml editor) which has spell-checker, modify it there, then re-read in Lightroom. This works better for xml sidecars than embedded xmp, but you can extract the xmp for any file type into a sidecar using xEmP, and then re-read after making the spelling corrections.

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 12, 2012 5:01 PM   in reply to William Cotton

I was offering an option for the mean time, which may serve as fodder for brain-storming, even if not acceptable as is...

I understand that your request is for native support in Lightroom, Adobe understands this too (despite lack of direct response...).

Got a "super-grep" util with spell-checking? - you could do the whole catalog in one swipe - using xmp. How about a  TextPipe Pro? - that'll do it too - directly to database (disclaimer: dunno if they support sqlite databases). Did you check John Beardy's plugin? - I know he was entertaining spell-checking, I just don't know if it ever got done.

Do you know of a utility that will do spell-checking via command-line in Windows (I don't think it's built into OS). And what command might accomplish it on Mac. - part of the problem is cross-platform support. Apps that only target one platform can integrate platform-specific things more easily... It could be a no-brainer on Mac, but require royalties for a proper Windows solution...

I could easily write a plugin to do metadata spell-checking once I had the gut spell-checking pieces in place and operational, but:

A. I don't

B. A lot of times people wouldn't use it anyway, being a plugin that implements a non-essential function, when what they want is native support.

Rob

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 14, 2012 6:52 AM   in reply to William Cotton

Regarding spell-checking, it seems there are two somewhat different albeit related problems:

1. How to fix-up spelling mistakes in metadata past.

2. How to assure no spelling mistakes in metadata present/future.

Regarding #2, third party spell-checkers seem almost as good as a native Lightroom implementation would be - in some ways: better.

For example, on Windows: MicroSpell is a super spell-checker: in default installation mode you have to remember to hit a hotkey (Ctrl-F12) to check current field (there is also as-you-type mode, but it makes me nervous, and I didn't try it), but it is quite a nice setup - the UI can be a bit daunting at first, but then it seems straight-forward and quick, after you get used to it.

Regarding #1, MetadataTransformer will allow you to spell-check & correct all of your existing metadata. It's default configuration for Windows is useful out-of-the-box for spell-checking captions and/or headlines (provided you download & install MicroSpell in default location), whereas Mac users will have to figure out how to wire it up (if they let me know how to do it, I can incorporate in next release). If you do give it a whorl, please contact me directly for technical support, rather than subsuming the Lr forum for it - thanks.

Rob

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points