Skip navigation
inspiredbronzesam
Currently Being Moderated

Photoshop CS3 Crashing

Oct 12, 2012 6:34 AM

Tags: #photoshop #cs3 #crash #crashing #adobe_photoshop #cs3_extended #adobe_photoshop_cs3 #adobe_photoshop_cs3_extended

Recently, our Photoshop CS3 (Extended) repeatedly crashes. We are working on a Mac (OS 10.6.8).
It crashes at no specific/particular point, during a specific action, or when in a particular file.
But it happens very frequently when trying to work.

We have uninstalled and re-installed it over a dozen times, even on different hard-drives.

Since Adobe can't/won't help, we were hoping somebody could help us.

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Oct 12, 2012 6:36 AM   in reply to inspiredbronzesam

Boilerplate-text:

Are Photoshop and OS fully updated?

As with all unexplainable Photoshop-problems you might try trashing the prefs (after making sure all customized presets like Actions, Patterns, Brushes etc. have been saved and making a note of the Preferences you’ve changed) by keeping command-alt-shift pressed on starting the program or starting from a new user-account.

System Maintenance (repairing permissions, purging PRAM, running cron-scripts, cleaning caches, etc.) might also be beneficial, Onyx has been recommended for such tasks.

http://www.apple.com/downloads/macosx/system_disk_utilities/onyx.html

Weeding out bad fonts never seems to be a bad idea, either. (Validate your fonts in Font Book and remove the bad ones.)

http://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/kb/troubleshoot-fonts-photoshop-cs5.h tml

If 3rd party plug-ins are installed try disabling them to verify if one of those may be responsible for the problem.

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 12, 2012 6:50 AM   in reply to inspiredbronzesam

Since Adobe can't/won't help, we were hoping somebody could help us.

Just because Photoshop crashes does not mean Adobe is at fault, but could for example be owed to the fact that for a lot of users Photoshop is one of the most demanding programs (with regard to RAM etc.) they use and is therefore most likely to be tripped up by a messy set-up.

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 12, 2012 7:11 AM   in reply to inspiredbronzesam

Aside from recommending general System maintenance and trashing prefs the sudden occurence of the problems might point to a recently introduced factor like a newly installed bad font.

As for the current version: CS6 can, as far as I know, be downloaded and used as a 30 day trial. Availing one of this opportunity may be prudent prior to purchasing the license.

The program offers many advantageous improvements but some features have fallen by the wayside (and some been reintroduced) since CS3.

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 12, 2012 9:17 AM   in reply to inspiredbronzesam

Seeing the crash report might tell us more about why it is crashing (but I'll bet it's Rosetta emulation of PPC code on an Intel system).

|
    Mark as:
  • Noel Carboni
    23,480 posts
    Dec 23, 2006
    Oct 12, 2012 9:24 AM   in reply to inspiredbronzesam

To add to what Christoph said, keep in mind you will only be able to get upgrade pricing for Photoshop CS6 from CS3 until the end of 2012.

-Noel

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 8, 2012 8:19 AM   in reply to inspiredbronzesam

Adobe modified the rules implemented and allowed upgrade pricing for CS3 and above until 12/31/12.

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 8, 2012 8:26 AM   in reply to inspiredbronzesam

I think that is $30/month.  Consensus is that for a single program it is expensive, but better if you have several programs.

Downside is if you quit subscription you have no product to fall back to..

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 8, 2012 8:32 AM   in reply to inspiredbronzesam

That is correct.  Critical flaw for many.  Seems like they should have it kind of like rent to own.  So after you rented it for long enough to cover cost of program plus the extra cost of renting you own it.

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 8, 2012 8:41 AM   in reply to inspiredbronzesam

I would really encourage you to upgrade.  CS3 Bridge was a really lousy product, and CS5 was much better, CS6 Bridge was converted to 64 bit, but still has some bugs.

If using ACR the 7.x is a major upgrade from even 6.x.  Many say upgrade is worth it for that.  And of course lots of upgrades to PS from CS3.

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 8, 2012 9:22 AM   in reply to inspiredbronzesam

Most crashes are from 3rd party plugins and brushes.  As stated earlier no specific solution can be offered without seeing the crash report.

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 8, 2012 10:19 AM   in reply to inspiredbronzesam

Our CS3 works fine except for the crashing (that started recently).

What changed "recently?"

When something works one day, but not the next, then something has changed. The task is to find out what has changed. It could be new hardware, or perhaps other software. Little things, like updating Windows, can render a video driver obsolete. As most video drivers are updated, along with the Mac OS, that is seldom an issue. Even the addition of new fonts (if that font is badly-written, or corrupt) can cause crashes in PS, or not allow it to load properly.

I do not know Mac's, so bear with me here, but it might be possible to use Time Machine (I think that is the correct name), to roll the system back to when things DID work, and then test.

Good luck,

Hunt

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 8, 2012 10:27 AM   in reply to inspiredbronzesam

Click on your OS help file and figure out how to view crash report.  We are all guessing without it.

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 8, 2012 11:49 AM   in reply to inspiredbronzesam

Few people know how to read these, including me.  But scan through the threads and see if any of them say thread x crashed.

If you don't see that see if you see a repletion of some program mentioned.  If you post the full crash report perhaps some one can get a clue.

|
    Mark as:
  • Noel Carboni
    23,480 posts
    Dec 23, 2006
    Nov 8, 2012 11:51 AM   in reply to inspiredbronzesam

Or copy all the text and paste it in a post here, instead of a screen grab.

-Noel

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 26, 2012 11:58 AM   in reply to inspiredbronzesam

You crashed in VersionCue, but it crashed in a thread and the attempt to recover and display an error message went really, really wrong.

But you're running 10.0.0, and appear to have missed some updates.

And VersionCue never was all that stable or reliable - we recommend disabling it.

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 26, 2012 1:03 PM   in reply to inspiredbronzesam

10.6.8 is the OS version.

You are running Photoshop 10.0.0 and should have 10.0.1 plus some updates to external components (like VersionCue).

In Photoshop's preferences should be an option to enable or disable VersionCue.

I'd post a screenshot, but CS3 licensing just stopped working (darnit!) on my machine.

|
    Mark as:
  • Noel Carboni
    23,480 posts
    Dec 23, 2006
    Nov 26, 2012 3:14 PM   in reply to Chris Cox

Chris Cox wrote:

I'd post a screenshot, but CS3 licensing just stopped working (darnit!) on my machine.

That's downright scary coming from an Adobe Engineer.   

In all seriousness, Adobe has a responsibility to keep licensing working for old versions essentially forever.

Here's a screenshot.

DisableVersionCue.png

-Noel

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 26, 2012 3:24 PM   in reply to Noel Carboni

Noel - thanks for the help.

It's not a matter of older software, it's just that I have a development system that gets tweaked periodically and the licensing fails from time to time.

The License Repair script fixed it.

And yes, I find those breakages annoying as well, and am trying to get the licensing team to make things more robust.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points