Skip navigation
HydrologyPerth
Currently Being Moderated

Defining Custom Shape issue - not saving all shapes

Oct 13, 2012 7:01 AM

Tags: #photoshop #issue #mac #layers #cs6 #shape #custom_shapes #custom_shape

I have designed a logo in Photoshop CS6 using both the text and shape tools. I have converted the text layers to shapes. When I try to save logo using "Define Custom Shape", it only save the outer circle and not the whole shape(s) even with everything is selected using the Selection Tools. This occurs if I have selected multiple layers, or have mereged layers to one layer.

Here is my shape:-

Screen Shot 2012-10-13 at 9.54.13 PM.pngScreen Shot 2012-10-13 at 9.56.36 PM.png

and here is the resulted image chosen from the Custom Shape menu after saving as "Define Custom Shape"

Screen Shot 2012-10-13 at 9.58.25 PM.pngScreen Shot 2012-10-13 at 9.59.05 PM.png

Any ideas? CS6 on Mac with Mountain Lion.

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Oct 13, 2012 8:24 AM   in reply to HydrologyPerth

I guess when the Custom Shape is defined, its subpaths are combined as you can do manually with "Merge Shape Components" in the Options bar when a vector tool is active. Make sure the subpaths have the correct combining modes by viewing the design as a Shape layer with a fill.

Here, the selected circle has "Exclude Overlapping Shapes" mode while the others have "Combine Shapes" mode. The defined Custom Shape has had its component subpaths merged automatically.

Screen shot 2012-10-13 at 16.16.49.png

Screen shot 2012-10-13 at 16.05.49.png

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 13, 2012 8:38 AM   in reply to HydrologyPerth

HydrologyPerth wrote:

When I do a "Merge Shape Components", this is all I get:-

Screen Shot 2012-10-13 at 11.14.35 PM.png

Yes, that's why I said you have to give correct combining modes to the subpaths. When the subpaths are all "Combine Shapes", they will merge to become the outer silhouette only. Your inner circle path will need to be negative. I showed an example above.

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 13, 2012 8:49 AM   in reply to HydrologyPerth

HydrologyPerth wrote:

If I merge shapes, the Define Custom Shape option is greyed out.

If you ensure the resulting Shape layer's path in Paths panel is highlighted then "Define Custom Shape" should be available.

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 13, 2012 9:36 AM   in reply to HydrologyPerth

The inner circle path is missing. You have a positive circle, negative text and negative map.

You should have a positive outer circle, negative inner circle, positive text and positive map.

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 13, 2012 10:11 AM   in reply to conroy

I don't know how you constructed your shape, but here's an example that's a simple merging of the Photoshop ring preset (inner path slightly upscaled to make the ring narrower) and fleur-de-lis preset and some Type converted to Shape. There's no need to create a negative inner circle when using the ring preset.

Screen shot 2012-10-13 at 17.57.39.png

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points