Skip navigation
meavydev
Currently Being Moderated

Retina Macbook Pro - Video Importer no supported device

Oct 13, 2012 5:54 AM

Tags: #premiere_elements_11 #macbook_pro_retina_display #dvd_import

I have just installed Elements 11 on my Retina Macbook Pro running OSX 10.7.5.

I have a USB SuperDrive connected with a DVD recorded by my DVD recorder, so not a copy protected DVD.

I go to the Video Importer and just get a screen saying "No supported device detected".

I tried using Organizer to import the VOB file, but this just ends up as an audio file, with no video.

So how do I get Premiere Elements 11 to import video from a DVD on my Retina Macbook Pro, or do I just give up and get a refund?

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Oct 13, 2012 8:40 AM   in reply to meavydev

If your DVD is in your Mac's DVD drive, there is no reason why you should not be able to see it using Add Media/From DVD Camcorder or PC DVD Drive's Video Importer. It works fine on my Mac.

But if it's not working and that's a dealbreaker, I suppose you should ask for a refund.

The longer you wait, the harder it is to get a refund.

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 13, 2012 8:53 AM   in reply to meavydev

Do make sure that you're connected to the internet when you try to use Premiere Elements' Add Media/DVD Camcorder or Computer Drive to get your video. There is a component that needs to be downloaded and installed the first time you use the Video Importer.

But try it in Premiere Elements first -- not the Organizer. Until Premiere Elements downloads and activates that component, the programs may not read the VOB files.

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 13, 2012 11:06 AM   in reply to meavydev

This sounds exactly as if you're not allowing the program to download and activate the necessary component.

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 13, 2012 5:28 PM   in reply to meavydev

I don't know what is happening on your machine. On mine, the first time I used the Video Importer, the program downloaded and activated a component, which took about 5 seconds.

I don't know why that is not the case on your machine. Sorry.

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 15, 2012 3:50 AM   in reply to meavydev

I hope you are using "DVD camera or computer drive" option in Add Media panel.

"Videos from Flip or Cameras" also launch Video Importer but it wont detect your DVD.

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 15, 2012 5:52 PM   in reply to meavydev

Hi ,

Please check the supported files and formats in Elements 11.

http://help.adobe.com/en_US/premiereelements/using/WSeffff8bffc802084- 1665492e133c9c19956-8000.html

Regards

_techkid123_ *Back*

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 18, 2012 6:53 AM   in reply to meavydev

See Expert view timeline zooms when dragging clips on MacBook with Retina Display to troubleshoot problems importing video into Adobe Premiere Elements 11 or working with clips/dragging clips on the timeline on MacBook with Retina Display.

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 22, 2012 4:42 AM   in reply to meavydev

External DVD drive is not supported by Video importer on Mac.

Refer to http://help.adobe.com/en_US/premiereelements/using/WS8E086945-8338-478 a-9083-710C2F9B1DA9.html

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 22, 2012 5:32 AM   in reply to meavydev

Video importer dialog allows u to view files as thumbnail, preview it and copy it locally.

As a workaround, u can import files using Add Media > "Files & Folders" option. Or copy the files locally and them import into PRE.

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 23, 2012 7:47 AM   in reply to meavydev

You might want to file a Feature Request, for Adobe to support computers that lack internal and external multi-drives.

Good luck,

Hunt

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 19, 2013 5:38 PM   in reply to meavydev

I am getting the exact same problem on a new iMac, which of course also has no internal DVD drive.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 19, 2013 5:41 PM   in reply to Aus2Mossy

Do you have an external multi-drive?

Good luck,

Hunt

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 19, 2013 6:32 PM   in reply to Bill Hunt

Yes, I have an external Apple Superdrive I bought when I got the new iMac. Luckily I am also an Adobe Cloud subscriber so have been able to use Premiere Pro to import from the external drive. For simple home projects I prefer Elements, but obviously Elements is not much use if I can't import old home movie DVDs to re-edit.

Given that Premiere Pro works it's obviously not impossible to do. I'd suggest this is something Adobe needs to add back to Elements.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points