Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Audio Problem In After effects cs6

Oct 15, 2012 12:18 PM

i have a very bad peoblem. i really need help. when i import my clip into after effects there is no audio whatever i do. i have tried ram preview and many other settings. my clip has sound when i play it itn windows media player and quicktime but not when it in after effects someone please help me i would appreciate it. also there is no speaker icon next to the clip like there usually is.

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Oct 15, 2012 12:55 PM   in reply to mahan.1655

We need to know what kind of clip you are importing. We need to know the OS. There's not enough info to make more than a guess that you're using a highly compressed source file or footage from a camera that uses separate wrappers for audio and video. Give us the source of the footage and we can probably give you an answer.

Also, try searching No Audio or Audio Problems on this forum. There are several recent posts.

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 15, 2012 10:48 PM   in reply to mahan.1655

What clip? What operating system? You need to provide much more details.

Mylenium

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 16, 2012 2:58 PM   in reply to mahan.1655

So you're not getting audio with all four of those formats?  Just to be absolutely sure, check these three things for each of your clips...

a.) Check the audio switch on the clip to make sure audio is enabled.

b.) Open up the waveforms and check to see that After Effects is actually reading the audio in your clips.

c.) Make sure the audio switch isn't set to mute in the Ram Preview tab.

Audio.png

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 17, 2012 12:33 AM   in reply to mahan.1655

Add a "Tone" effect to any layer, and then do an Audio preview by hitting the period (.) key on your numerical keypad. If you don't hear a tone, you need to check in the AE preferences under Audio and change your output mapping until you can hear the tone.

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 4, 2013 8:08 PM   in reply to Jonas Hummelstrand

I'm having the same exact issue. Anyone find a fix? I can see the .wav file in drop down menus (as in screen shot above), audio switch on the click is enabled, and audio is NOT muted in Ram Preview tab. ???????

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 6, 2013 4:05 PM   in reply to theo aronson

Did you click the RAM Preview button (the last icon on the right in the Preview area) or the standard Preview button (the third icon in the Preview area)? The latter will give you no audio.

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 7, 2013 1:12 PM   in reply to rklem

Rklem is correct.  Here's an ammended screenshot listing the things to check:

Audio+Ram_Preview_Update.png

A) Check the audio switch on the clip to make sure audio is enabled.

B)  Open up the waveforms and check to see that After Effects is actually reading the audio in your clips.

C)  Make sure the audio switch isn't set to mute in the Ram Preview tab.

D)  Make sure you click the Ram Preview button and not the standard Preview button to the left.

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 22, 2013 4:30 PM   in reply to BenjaminMarkus

Thanks for all this feedback guys/gals. Indeed it works and plays back when I select the RAM PREVIEW TAB. Is there a way though to play back audio just with regular playback or do you always have to use ram preview when working with audio in AE? (forgive the novice question)

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 22, 2013 7:51 PM   in reply to theo aronson

Ram Preview is for preview. Pressing the space bar simply advanced the timeline. It does not act the same way it does in a NLE.

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 23, 2013 6:30 AM   in reply to theo aronson

theo aronson wrote:

Thanks for all this feedback guys/gals. Indeed it works and plays back when I select the RAM PREVIEW TAB. Is there a way though to play back audio just with regular playback or do you always have to use ram preview when working with audio in AE? (forgive the novice question)

RAM preview IS regular playback in After Effects. Spacebar is pointless (and I'm not even sure why it works at all). You have to remember, as Rick pointed out, that After Effects is completely different from an NLE.

Now, if you want to just play the audio without having to render, you can press the decimal key (.) on your numeric keypad. During audio playback, you can press the * key on your keypad to leave markers. If a layer's selected, it'll leave layer markers and if no layer is selected, it will leave composition markers.

As someone new to After Effects, you should really start here. The resources linked there cover all of the basic things you need to know about AE including how to preview. Getting a good foundation in the fundamentals will help you avoid much frustration in the future.

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 18, 2013 12:47 AM   in reply to mahan.1655

I also have the same problem when i import a clip into adobe after effects the program doesnt read any audio what so ever. Someone please help.!

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 18, 2013 8:40 AM   in reply to khiankb14

I also have the same problem when i import a clip into adobe after effects the program doesnt read any audio what so ever. Someone please help.!

Are you saying that that although you went through all the steps suggested in the thread so far, you STILL can't hear audio?

Or did you come upon this thread, see a similarity to your situation, and send up a cry for help without trying any of the suggested remedies?

There's a big difference.

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 18, 2013 12:23 PM   in reply to Dave LaRonde

none of the suggestions above help in my situation

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 18, 2013 11:14 PM   in reply to khiankb14

Hi,

Not sure if this is mentioned above (feeling kind of cross-eyed this morning) but on a windows PC, holding the "CTRL" key down while scrubbing the timeline plays sound as well (It playes badly due to speed of movement etc, but it plays). I use this method when doing Lip-Synching, it helps to get tspecific sounds matched to mouth movements.

Pierre

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 4, 2013 1:17 AM   in reply to mahan.1655

Hello everyone! I have the same problem as -mahan- there is no audio whatever i do- Also, the sound icon missing from the left of timeline panel.

Here`s a print screen whit my cs6 interface.

I have Windows 7, After effects CS6, MTS video file.

Thank you!Sample.jpg

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 4, 2013 8:56 AM   in reply to indulcit

AE needs a separate audio track, and your clip probably has multiplexed audio: it's embedded in the video.  You can transcode the clip to a lossless codec with audio, and you're set.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 4, 2013 5:20 PM   in reply to indulcit

A screenshot of  your footage selected in the Project Panel gives us more information about it's audio properties than a shot of the layer in the timeline. See this example? That's what we need to know about your clip to help you. This video has audio:

Screen Shot 2013-03-04 at 5.18.39 PM.png

This one does not:

Screen Shot 2013-03-04 at 5.20.13 PM.png

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 25, 2013 8:38 PM   in reply to Rick Gerard

Has anyone solved  this problem yet? I have all the above suggestions, I got no audio for my clip.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 2, 2013 8:47 AM   in reply to Szalam

I have being using AE for a while I did not know about decimal key, thanks for that.

Jim

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 6, 2013 11:21 AM   in reply to irareynolds

I had the same issue with no sound in AE CS6 on Windows 7 64bit.  Everything that mentioned above had been checked and looked good but no sound.

After looking at my control panel I noticed I had default Microsoft audio drivers installed.  I went to ASUS and downloaded the correct audio drivers and everything is working now...

Good luck.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 22, 2013 10:47 AM   in reply to mahan.1655

I have had this problem starting with CS5.  In my specific case it only occurs when I use "Import Adobe Premiere Pro Project" (Not directly importing footage). I will open the resulting composition, do a RAM preview and get no audio on video tracks that have embedded audio (I am on a Mac and the files are DVCam MPEG).  Tracks with just audio work fine.  Here is where it gets strange.  The new version of AE creates a new composition for each piece of video and sticks it in the Project window.  If I open up the comp with just the single piece of video in it, the audio will play back fine with RAM preview.  I even tried dragging that video into my master comp to see if replacing the pre-comp with the straight video would work.... No.  Even stranger is the fact that I can use Command-drag and hear the audio scrub with the troublesome pre-comp, but RAM Preview is still silent.  Yes, I have made sure that all settings listed above are correct.

There are of course work-arounds, like simply rendering a single audio file ourt of my Premiere timeline and dropping it into my AE timeline (shutting all the other audio off) but it seems like this is an AE bug that manifests itself in a slightly different way for a variety of people and it would be great if Adobe fixed it!

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 8, 2013 1:43 AM   in reply to Rick Gerard

After Effects Help.png

I done as you said. I'll willing to wait for a response. Thank you.

Problem. So audio is disabled and as shown in this image. The audio in the clip is erase for some reason. When I drag the video clip on time strip. The audio icon box is missing. I know After Effects works for me using a new laptop with 64bit with 8GB Ram and Windows 8. Question is can you help me? Thank you.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 8, 2013 11:17 AM   in reply to Spartan_Of_Hope

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 9, 2013 5:05 PM   in reply to Dave LaRonde

Okay thank you but how would look for a video on YouTube to know how to do this. Just saying what to do the thread link you mentioned this helps a bit but it isn't helping a visual person.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 10, 2013 8:45 PM   in reply to Spartan_Of_Hope

Yeah, you're right there:  I wouldn't try to get a day job as a writer if I were you.

I have NO CLUE whether there's a youtube video for this.  I've never had to look for one.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points